A new "Waiting for delivery thread"...

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited August 6, 2009 in Cameras
Well, I posted an ad Saturday for a 50mm F1.4 and got an offer right away. I am swapping my 85mm F1.8 for Shima's 50mm F1.4.

We should both get our "new" glass on Thursday!!!:D

So I charge the batteries....and wait....:rolleyes

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Ha... Mr UPS is feelin' the love from dgrin this summer!

So presumably this means that the 70-200 is covering that range for you these days?
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Yay! I think you will have fun with the 50 1.4. I know you used to have a 1.8. The 50mm can get so much closer than the 85, which is one of the reasons I like it so much.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    divamum wrote:

So presumably this means that the 70-200 is covering that range for you these days?

I honestly used the 85mm very little...and even less with the 70-200 in the bag.

I DID use my cheap 50mm more often.

This will give me some F1.4 love, and also an emergency solution if my 17-55 were to fail at an event. I doubt I could scrape by with an 85mm, but think Id have a shot with a 50mm.ne_nau.gif
    edited August 4, 2009
    Elaine wrote:
    Yay! I think you will have fun with the 50 1.4. I know you used to have a 1.8. The 50mm can get so much closer than the 85, which is one of the reasons I like it so much.

Thats what I am hoping for....AND...I plan to get a diopter lens like Ziggy uses to allow some macro use as well....but that will come later.mwink.gif
  • HeatherWBHeatherWB Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I'm waiting too...
    ...on my new (to me) 24-105/4 to arrive. I should have it either Thursday or Friday. My 40D won't be lonely anymore once I get the 24-105 mounted onto it. :D Other lenses will be following in the next couple of weeks or so, as money becomes available.

Heather :):
    My blog: Heather's Lightbox
    My pics
    "He who cannot dance will say: "The drum is bad!" --African proverb.
  • MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Thats what I am hoping for....AND...I plan to get a diopter lens like Ziggy uses to allow some macro use as well....but that will come later.mwink.gif

I've had a lot of fun with the Raynox 250 -- cheap, good fun!
  • Jane B.Jane B. Registered Users Posts: 373 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    divamum wrote:

Unfortunately Mr UPS is NOT my preferred delivery method; especially if it happens to be coming ground. Those guys in this area seem to be fumbled fingered and dent up boxes! Always makes me wonder about hidden damage that will not be obvious but shorten product life when electronics is enclosed.

Jane B.
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,878 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    hmmm, have several new toys on order:

BlackRapid strap (double kit) will be collected at UPS today. Was ordered with Adorama. They tried to deliver last week, but I was not at home.

5D MkII: no news about delivery since I ordered it almost 2 months ago. :cry I do get regular updates about the status, but always that it's delayed.

Battery grip and battery for the 5D MkII and 16Gb CF card are on the way. Delivery by the end of this week

Camera and accessories were ordered with two different companies. Even with shipping costs it saved me over 150,- US$
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I honestly used the 85mm very little...and even less with the 70-200 in the bag.

I DID use my cheap 50mm more often.

This will give me some F1.4 love, and also an emergency solution if my 17-55 were to fail at an event. I doubt I could scrape by with an 85mm, but think Id have a shot with a 50mm.ne_nau.gif
    Congratulations on the new addition to the family. It's always nice to be able to change up gear for cheap and swapping is one way to get there. But, now, I don't think I could give up my 85mm.

I'm just starting to really love my 85mm f/1.8 - for headshots. I get requests for this sort of thing on a more or less regular basis. In the past, I've been using my 24-105 f/4 and gotten good results. However, after this shooting session, I think my 85mm is producing just a bit better. I shot some with the 24-105, just to get some in the can then switched lenses to give the 85mm a real go. I probably should have done the same thing with the 50mm as I've not yet used it enough to really trust it. I had the time and the client was willing, but ....

These are cropped only for size (4:5 ratio) - aside from that, they both have all the pixels they were born with (allowing for SmugMug resizing). Both were shots 1/250s, ISO 100, f/8:

24-105 @ 82mm (click on the image for a X3 sized)
    608827300_GUKvX-M.jpg

85mm
    608833245_SUvdz-M.jpg
  • GSPePGSPeP Registered Users Posts: 3,878 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    GSPeP wrote:
    5D MkII: no news about delivery since I ordered it almost 2 months ago. :cry I do get regular updates about the status, but always that it's delayed.
    Just received an e-mail confirming shipment of the 5D MkII today :Dclap.gifDwings.gif
    (Should have posted this sooner ...)
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    for Shima's 50mm F1.4.

I know that lens! lol3.gif

Loved that lens!

13025091_5rCak-M-1.jpg
    edited August 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I know that lens! lol3.gif

Loved that lens!

That's just too funny :lol - I wonder if it's finally found a long-term home or if it'll be moving on?
    edited August 5, 2009
    Its here.

I shot this today as we wrapped up moving my oldest daughter back to campus and into her first apartment.

The lens needs some MFA, but is a pretty good shooter as is.....

F1.8
    612140829_Ffm9n-L.jpg
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Its here.

I shot this today as we wrapped up moving my oldest daughter back to campus and into her first apartment.

The lens needs some MFA, but is a pretty good shooter as is.....

F1.8
    612140829_Ffm9n-Ti.jpg

clap.gif
    edited August 5, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    clap.gif

and...

It's still under warranty until what appears to be 2011.

THATS pretty sweet!thumb.gif
    edited August 6, 2009
    clap.gif Sweet - looks like you'll have a bit of fun!
    edited August 6, 2009
    clap.gif Sweet - looks like you'll have a bit of fun!

I hope so.

I had gone through some old "wide-open" shots with the 50mm F1.8. While I wasnt impressed with its finicky and unpredictable focusing.....I sure did like the DOF falloff at wide apertures. Sure is "purdy"!rolleyes1.gif
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 6, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I hope so.

I had gone through some old "wide-open" shots with the 50mm F1.8. While I wasnt impressed with its finicky and unpredictable focusing.....I sure did like the DOF falloff at wide apertures. Sure is "purdy"!rolleyes1.gif

I still have both the Canon 50mm, f1.8 and f1.4 USM. I agree that the f1.8 AF is hit or miss. I have had very good experience with the f1.4. The f1.4 is a bit soft at f1.4 (halation) but I use it as an effect. By f2 it is very sharp and by f5.6 it is one of my best lenses (confirmed on the 5D MKII.) There is some vignetting with it on FF, but it is fairly easily corrected in software.

A very good value and an easy recommend.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    and...

It's still under warranty until what appears to be 2011.

THATS pretty sweet!thumb.gif

Yes because Andy is awesome and got the amazingly long Mack warranty on it when he purchased it. I loved it when I had it Andy, but ever since moving to the 5D Mark II world, I haven't touched it! I always go for my 35L instead... the 85 will be great though since the 50 on a crop body is pretty close to the 85 on a FF, which is why this is a great trade for Jeff & me :)

I'm still waiting for the 85, it's supposed to get here today, probably won't see it for a few more hours since UPS likes to come between 2-5...

UPS man has seen me a lot this week :) I got a 2nd 580 EX II on Tuesday + some new Universal Cloud Lightspheres (lightsphere 2 kept falling off my flash anytime I bumped something, rather annoying)... and then yesterday I got my 2nd 5D Mark II (good bye crop body shooting!)... so now last shipment of the week... Jeff's 85.

I have a wedding on Saturday that should see good use of the 85. I want to do most of the "getting ready" stuff w/ my 35 and 85. :)