B/W Conversion & CC

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited August 6, 2009 in People
This was a photo taken with an A75 about 2-1/2 years ago. I liked how she looked sort of like the down-trodden guy in the diner, but color didn't work (included as reference). Did the b/w conversion do it justice? I added noise to get a little more effect of mood (or at least a bit of an attempt).

Thanks.
3788950433_d1852c6a10_b.jpg
3789757758_e6dede6461_b.jpg
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    This was a photo taken with an A75 about 2-1/2 years ago. I liked how she looked sort of like the down-trodden guy in the diner, but color didn't work (included as reference). Did the b/w conversion do it justice? I added noise to get a little more effect of mood (or at least a bit of an attempt).

Thanks.

This might be a bit better - I think your conversion was way too contrasty But, sadly, I think the real problem is that this was a better idea than it is an image.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    I definately see the difference, and I can emulate how yours is different from the default LR conversion (plus contrast that I added). It really started off more as a snapshot (she wasn't posed for it), and I know the flash is kinda ruining it in her hair and all. But I feel good that the concept of the image was decent even if execution was not (this time). Thanks for the feedback.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I definately see the difference, and I can emulate how yours is different from the default LR conversion (plus contrast that I added). It really started off more as a snapshot (she wasn't posed for it), and I know the flash is kinda ruining it in her hair and all. But I feel good that the concept of the image was decent even if execution was not (this time). Thanks for the feedback.

Absolutely - you get points for seeing the possibility in this. I think the problem is that her expression is so neutral, and we don't see anything of her eyes. So what we're left with is a kid drinking from a cup, rather than a sad kid, or pensive kid - something of interest.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited August 4, 2009
    Maybe play around with saturation levels - (plus a slight bump on contrast after, so you don't lose impact of main figure)?
    edited August 4, 2009
    That's another good approach on this. Different effect, but has the same sort of feel. Now I'm trying to figure out, based on B.D.'s comment, what would have had to have changed to make the image only a matter of processing. The bright line of light on her head is a problem, and she has a slight smile which is counter to the idea (like I said, it wasn't posed, so she was happy to have her hot cocoa, even if it was about 34 degrees outside here in Austin). Had I been lower, I think the cup and her hands would have dominated the image, so I'm not sure that there is better angle to have pursued. I did like her in my jacket, which is humongous on her.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 4, 2009
    That's another good approach on this. Different effect, but has the same sort of feel. Now I'm trying to figure out, based on B.D.'s comment, what would have had to have changed to make the image only a matter of processing. The bright line of light on her head is a problem, and she has a slight smile which is counter to the idea (like I said, it wasn't posed, so she was happy to have her hot cocoa, even if it was about 34 degrees outside here in Austin). Had I been lower, I think the cup and her hands would have dominated the image, so I'm not sure that there is better angle to have pursued. I did like her in my jacket, which is humongous on her.
    <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________

Just for the sake of play: If you have a program that can select areas,I'd highten her eyelashes - contrast, or sharpen or both, gives the effect of looking down more and being in herself. Since her eyes don't show much - why not use that, emphasize it. And do the same thing with the coffee-cup, that can be a co-participant of the scene - it's "looking into the well" feeling of isolation. The smile won't look like a smile if you do that stuff or similar - to the viewer anyway. The context for the smile will be gone. It already is more in both BD's B&W and the half de-saturated version - and I no longer in either am looking at a smiling girl but one grimacing slightly. We don't really see anything. We interpret by context.
    edited August 5, 2009
    Last attempt for today. Thanks for all the input. I added stronger edges around the face and eyes and cropped this down to focus attention to the looking at the mug. I failed miserably at trying to clone or patch the highlight in the hair, so I punted on that front.

3790497017_8e0a0eb02d.jpg
    3790497073_e5a8061313.jpg
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 5, 2009
    Nice!
    Doesn't look like a smile at all - but like you got the feel you want from the scene - I think especially in the B&W.
    edited August 5, 2009
    Thanks for all the help!
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    What is it that speaks to you in this photo? I think snapshots are valuable for their own sake -- they hold memories and such.

But do you see something in this image for broader appeal that some of us just aren't seeing?

586302519_8ba4Y-M.jpg

This is a snapshot of my daughter. I wouldn't try to process this photo into anything, really, because there's "nothing there" in this image.

20702283_J5wQe-M.jpg\

This photo, on the other hand, struck me a "childhood" -- a moment of innocent childhood fun. So I worked on it to make it more of an art piece. Don't have a lot of talent in this area.

But just because _I_ don't see the story in your photo, doesn't mean there is none. Just wondering what you were seeing -- and if you get the difference between the two concepts.

Lee
    edited August 5, 2009
    I get the difference. The idea was more as the rumpled lone person in deep thought at the coffee shop, but not. I was working on setting the mood differently by the nature of the processing. Learned several things along the way.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    =The idea was more as the rumpled lone person in deep thought at the coffee shop, but not. I was working on setting the mood differently by the nature of the processing. Learned several things along the way.

It's good to push yourself. I want to reiterate -- just because _I_ didn't see much of a story, doesn't mean it's not there. Perhaps I just didn't put "young girl" and "deep in thought" together in my head.

Lee
    edited August 6, 2009
    The photo of the girl in mid-air is just terrific.