First shots with off camera flash C&C

mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
edited August 5, 2009 in People
I got my flash last week, a Lumapro LP120 with a light stand and convertible umbrella, and was able to get some practice for the first time on Saturday. I had friends and family over for a BBQ and had no trouble twisting arms for some test subjects.

All shots are bounced into the umbrella at about 45 degree to the subject on full power, camera right and high (as high as i can get with 7' ceilings in the basement). I used a black sheet as a background.

I've only done some exposure fixes in post I know I need to do a lot of eyes and teeth processing, also my first time shooting RAW... C&C very appreciated.

3790735714_81d37372de.jpg

3789922977_d880774b26.jpg

3790737666_f88abb6384.jpg

3789927187_505242616c.jpg

3789924049_43a106878f.jpg

3790739114_467cf3436f.jpg

3789929277_5af69541c8.jpg

3789926715_421966955a.jpg

3789925501_f9ccce4a15.jpg

3789926185_f89b9d684b.jpg

3789928343_9aa2380d11.jpg

3790744522_ba54e68171.jpg

3790741904_0c61f585bb.jpg

Thanks!

Comments

• TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Not bad for your first attempt. If you have a convertivle umbrella, use it a shoot through. You'll avoid the hot spots easier. Also, why did you use the flash on full power? What aperture where you shooting at? On one of the shots, it looks like maybe F5.6 or F4. You don't need full flash at those apertures. 1/4 power and adjust the flash distance and your are golden to shoot at your camera's sync speed. This is a studio set up, your main light is the flash, no need to use the ambient light at all.

Hope this helps on your next test.

**Also, if you have a reflector, put it on the other side for fill, no need for a second light. ;-)
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    As was pointed out to me not long ago, generally (all rules may be broken from time to time) try to avoid lighting the ear-side of the face when the face isn't pointing directly at the camera (then you can't avoid an ear-side). Nice pictures. The woman in 3rd & 4th picture looks eerily like my wife's sister-in-law. Her name isn't Wendy, is it?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Not bad for your first attempt. If you have a convertivle umbrella, use it a shoot through. You'll avoid the hot spots easier. Also, why did you use the flash on full power? What aperture where you shooting at? On one of the shots, it looks like maybe F5.6 or F4. You don't need full flash at those apertures. 1/4 power and adjust the flash distance and your are golden to shoot at your camera's sync speed. This is a studio set up, your main light is the flash, no need to use the ambient light at all.

Hope this helps on your next test.

**Also, if you have a reflector, put it on the other side for fill, no need for a second light. ;-)

Thanks Frank, I will try the shoot through next time and grab something for a reflector. I read somewhere that bouncing the light into the umbrella created a softer light which was the reason for doing that instead of shoot through. All the shots were taken at F 5.6 (good eye!) and 1/200, no ambient light.

I had done some quick tests through all the power settings and on the camera full power had looked the best. I know there is too much glare on some of the faces but does it really look too bright?

Thanks
  • mpauliempaulie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    As was pointed out to me not long ago, generally (all rules may be broken from time to time) try to avoid lighting the ear-side of the face when the face isn't pointing directly at the camera (then you can't avoid an ear-side). Nice pictures. The woman in 3rd & 4th picture looks eerily like my wife's sister-in-law. Her name isn't Wendy, is it?

Avoid lighting ear-side of the face when not facing the camera... ok got it! Boy, I did that in a lot of the shotsne_nau.gif

The woman in the pictures you referred is Shannon, that would have been some coincidence.

Thanks a lot for the tip, I'm writing things like this down in a little book so I can go over them real quick before I start shooting.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    The in-laws live in New Hope, PA with other family in NJ. Good luck.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    What a fun bunch! Nice job, way to go!!
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    mpaulie wrote:
    Thanks Frank, I will try the shoot through next time and grab something for a reflector. I read somewhere that bouncing the light into the umbrella created a softer light which was the reason for doing that instead of shoot through. All the shots were taken at F 5.6 (good eye!) and 1/200, no ambient light.

I had done some quick tests through all the power settings and on the camera full power had looked the best. I know there is too much glare on some of the faces but does it really look too bright?

Thanks

I wouldn't say blownout, but the hotspots are always distracting. This shot was at f4.5 1/500th ISO 200 using the shoot through at about 5 feet away from the subject. It's not my best, but closely resembles your shooting conditions. If I would have used the bounce, the highlights would be more prominent.

572438578_VkU4B-L.jpg
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...