Canon 5d II question

Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
edited August 13, 2009 in Cameras
I was shooting with some friends last night and they all shot Canon's. Is there a setting to adjust saturation, hue, contrast manually like the Nikon?
Nikon has a picture control in the menu allowing fine tune adjustments, is there anything like that in the 5D Mark II
Steve

Website

Comments

• NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    I was shooting with some friends last night and they all shot Canon's. Is there a setting to adjust saturation, hue, contrast manually like the Nikon?
    Nikon has a picture control in the menu allowing fine tune adjustments, is there anything like that in the 5D Mark II
    Yes, it's called Picture Style. 5D2 (as well as 50D and IIRC 40D) has a direct button to access it. Naturally, it's for jpeg shooters, not RAW.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 5, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Yes, it's called Picture Style. 5D2 (as well as 50D and IIRC 40D) has a direct button to access it. Naturally, it's for jpeg shooters, not RAW.
    nod.gif Waste of a button as far as I'm concerned.
    edited August 5, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Yes, in fact there's a dedicated button for it on the camera for quick access. Waste of a button as far as I'm concerned. Last thing in the world I want is my camera to bake a picture style into my image. I shoot RAW.

Cheers,
    -joel
    Well, at least they put that infamous Direct Print button for a good use... And it only took a few years... mwink.gif
    PS: Dang that Nik is quick on the draw... :bluduh
    rolleyes1.gif
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:

Thanks! I finally got them shooting in manual mode last night. A few more trips and we will work on shooting in raw.
    Steve

Website
    edited August 5, 2009
    Thanks! I finally got them shooting in manual mode last night. A few more trips and we will work on shooting in raw.
    Laughing.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Good job! thumb.gif
    Next thing you know they start using layers... mwink.gif
  • RogerLundRogerLund Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I personally do not recommend making adjustments in the camera, that is what RAW, and PS is for.
    Canon 5D, Canon XT, Canon 50mm EF 1.8, Canon 50mm EF 1.4, Canon 85mm EF 1.8, Canon 100mm EF 2.8 Marco, Canon 100-300mm EF 5.6 L, 17-40mm EF F4 L
    -
    Roger Lund
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    nod.gif Waste of a button as far as I'm concerned.

We want dedicated mirror lockup button plz deal.gif
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
    edited August 11, 2009
    Manfr3d wrote:
    We want dedicated mirror lockup button plz deal.gif
    If you own a camera with a custom menu, add MLU to it and it will be always right there. That's what I did.
    Also, I personally use LiveView way more often than a MLU (since it reduced the vibrations much better and has other advantages), and it *does* have a dedicated button:-)
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 11, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Also, I personally use LiveView way more often than a MLU (since it reduced the vibrations much better and has other advantages), and it *does* have a dedicated button:-)

I was going to say LiveView as well. nod.gif

Curious why you say it reduces vibration "much better" than MLU though. headscratch.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    edited August 11, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    I was going to say LiveView as well. nod.gif

Curious why you say it reduces vibration "much better" than MLU though. headscratch.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
    If you try it in a very quiet room you will hear the sound difference. Less sound = less vibrations. thumb.gif
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    As mentioned, Canon has Picture styles. You can also make adjustments to the styles by adjusting the amount of saturation, contrast, sharpness, and WB/color tones if you don't like the default setting of the Picture styles.

If the image is shot in RAW and then opened using the Canon's DPP, then the settings are retained but of course you can adjust them (which you can't if you shoot in JPEG).

I'll guess they'll come around to RAW format down the road.