Punks

Comments

• gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2005
  • gpgoldgpgold Registered Users Posts: 469 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    As i mentioned in another thread i was going to see some bands & phoned ahead & got permission to shoot the whole show.

Man what a night ! I had totally forgotten just how loud these guys play. I got smashed a few times when i got to close to the front of the stage so i hung at the side & behind most of the time.

So i took my anti-inflammatories for my back...put some ear plugs in...& finally realised that im over 40.

Its a bit of a long post...im in broardband with-drawals so you will just have to put up with a longish photo post.
    Very cool series. My son was in a punk band at one time. You really captured the flavor of being at the show. Just a great mix of image types that fit together and tell a story.

regards,

Gary
  • NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Hey 'Gus! Great set!

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • rahmonsterrahmonster Registered Users Posts: 1,376 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Wow great shots....You certainly gave a 'punk's eye view' of the concert for sure. I felt like I was there in some of those shotsthumb.gifclap
    www.tmitchell.smugmug.com

Art washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life...Picasso
    edited June 26, 2005
    Thanks for looking gary/nir/monster. Im just burning 200 shots now & going to get them of to the record (do we still call them that ?) bloke tomorrow.

I cant believe no-one is shooting these guys. Suppose it isnt everyones cup of tea in that level of noise & action. One band of young fellas asked me to do a small shoot for them under the building & i said only if you take a lecture from an old fart (tinitus sufferer) about wearing earplugs...they took it well.

I went to see George T/Good a few years back & these guys blew him out of the water volume wise hands down.

Here they are...black as a bats arse under the building so they did well to stay still for me to shoot them at f3.5 10mm.

Really nice kids.

• ehughesehughes Registered Users Posts: 1,675 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Great Shots Gus..
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited June 26, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Great series Gus. Well worth the wait and I'm glad to see you had such a great time taking on this challenge. Something about the photo in panel #23 grabs my attention... but everything looks terrific. thumb.gif
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Great stuff Humy.. some of them reminded me of Damonoff.. I too am glad the sound did'nt come out as well.. I was skeeered as it was..:uhoh
  • bfjrbfjr Registered Users Posts: 10,980 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Hi Gus
    20 yrs ago I went to a punk concert, Sex pistols or something like that as I recall. Anyway your shots brought that memory back in full color!!
    So these are some rockin good shots thumb.gif

By the way got in a fight there, oh yeah sure I won umph.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • 4labs4labs Registered Users Posts: 2,089 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Gus thnxs for sharing these , looks like ya might have a new profession. A great set!
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Nice work, and man, there's a lot of cool stuff to mine there, like finding that garden bursting with blooms...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    To be 30 yrs younger:D
    Nice series Gus.
    Keep on rockn in the free worldthumb.gif
    edited June 27, 2005
    edited June 27, 2005
  • SeamusSeamus Registered Users Posts: 1,573 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Great series Gus and congrats on getting invited back for more. I found this link on anoter site. There are some good tips for shooting bands and concerts

http://www.photo.net/learn/concerts/mirarchi/concer_i.htm

Shay.
  • HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Great series Gus,
    I think they'd be crazy not to ask you back. I see more gigs in your future, and paying ones at thatclap.gif.

Good Job and thanks for posting these,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• PeterGarPeterGar Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Great pics. Reminds me of when I used to go to punk shows when I was a teenager. These kids look the same today as they did in the late 80s. What city was this in?
    edited June 27, 2005
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Very cool shots Gus. The music is not my bowl of rice, but the pics are great. The definatly put you there and catch the flavor.

I cant wait to see more.
    edited June 28, 2005
    edited June 29, 2005
  • GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 29, 2005
    Straight at it.

You can do it Gus
    edited June 29, 2005
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 30, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    thumb.gif
    Im doing that particular band as well as others this sat night...i will see what i come up with. I dont think they are the 'studio photo' type because im certainly not.

Congratulations 'Gus. Albumn cover credits coming your way. That ought to thelp pay for your 20D!!

Save the ear plugs for yourself. The kids won't have anything to do with them, in spite of Pete Townsend and how many other deaf musicians. :D
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 30, 2005
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 30, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Mate i hate charging money...i know i have to.. but doing what i do is the only thing that separates photography from work. Its hard to explain but i need experience & by getting my name about with the local bands it could get me a portfolio good enough to approach the big boys for large concerts which i would have no qualms charging for shots....but the day out is the real thrill for me.

I never started doing this for money & dont want it to become something that is expected of me as i can pick-up & put down the camera whenever i want :uhoh ...honestly.

What the hell would you charge a cab driver...a carpenter & a fuel pump attendant to shoot thier album cover ? Does it go by the number of copies released ?ne_nau.gif

Gus

Gus, I don't want to shoot as a pro either. I have a day job and have to keep my clients satisfied. That is the nice thing about photography for me - I do not have to satisfy anyone but myself. As soon as you start being paid, then you will have expectations placed on you.
    SO do whatever floats your boat.
    thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 30, 2005
  • photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    very vibrant shots Humungus. You know by looking at them that it must be loud, smoky and not for oldies above 40... (I am in that place myself)
    What is most interesting here is that you got most of the movement. I especially like the first shot (drummer?) and the guy with the yellow hair (it has a name but I don't know it).
    Great series
    edited July 5, 2005
  • wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited July 5, 2005
    Damn, I missed this thread. Gus, you really brought that show to life, great stuff! And congratulations on getting recognition and work from the bands. Very cool! thumb.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au