Sad Girl

jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
edited August 6, 2009 in People
My 4yo daughter broke her arm last night. My parents sent flowers today. :(

21m7mux.jpg

I wanted to get a picture to show my parents to say thanks for the flowers, and she put the flower there at the last second.

Canon 40D, 17-55/2.8IS, ISO 800, no PP.
-Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    I think this photo has a ton of potential. I don't normally make hardcore suggestions but I think this one would be great in B&W and cropped much closer to her face. To me, the flowers on the right distract from the emotion she is displaying. Excellent capture!
    Travis
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Sorry that happened. My daughter lost the front end of summer with a fracture in her leg. Lots of art, no sports. Hopefully she has a full recovery.

I think the picture is very nicely lit. The cast could have been included to help tell the story since it takes a moment to parse the ziploc of ice and the sling. Perhaps she'll pose for one... I think Thoth is right, cropping this down will make a better picture because of the floral/plastic clutter at the bottom. You may even go nutty on the crop (I don't know how much spare resolution you have in your source image) and just have her eye framed by the flower (put it in the lower left third) and off into some of her hair.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    aww what a beautiful little girl! Poor baby, hope her arm feels better! What happened?
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Oh and I forgot to mention that I love the shot! If you're sending this to your parents, i'm going to disagree with the rest and say leave the flowers! (i'm assuming those are the flowers they sent)
    edited August 5, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    Oh and I forgot to mention that I love the shot! If you're sending this to your parents, i'm going to disagree with the rest and say leave the flowers! (i'm assuming those are the flowers they sent)

For the the thank-you pic to the parents, of course-- totally agree with you. I was going down the path of how to focus on the one flower.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • jmphotocraftjmphotocraft Registered Users Posts: 2,987 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Thanks all.
    Yeah, I included the flowers on purpose for the sake of the thank-you note for those flowers. What you see is the full composition, no cropping, just downsized. 40D, so 10mp, so I have some room for a 5x7 of a tight crop I think. I'll try later. Right now she is very sensitive about all this and does not want to see prints of her infirmed condition on the wall!

She fell off our zip line (I called this a space trolley when I was a kid). But we're not bad parents, honest! ne_nau.gif
    -Jack

An "accurate" reproduction of a scene and a good photograph are often two different things.
    edited August 5, 2009
    She fell off our zip line (I called this a space trolley when I was a kid). But we're not bad parents, honest! ne_nau.gif

When we were getting my kid's leg checked at the Orthopedist, one of her friends from school was there with a broken arm from a zipline mishap.... We won't call social services....:D
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 5, 2009
    crop
    This is downsized from 2100 x 1500.

1zv7gac.jpg

a little NR applied in DPP at 4/6
    -Jack

• Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Cute kid, nice picture! Sorry to hear about her injury…

I think at that tender age the bones aren't at all brittle and she most probably has a "greenstick fracture"; what a drag, especially at this time of the year; commiserations, and hope it soon heals… :cry

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 5, 2009
    I hope she feels better soon!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
    edited August 5, 2009
    Here's a b&w.... I actually like the flowers in the fg...

wufih2.jpg
    -Jack

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    I think that's a much better photo. Excellent job!
    Travis
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    She is so precious. Sorry to hear of her boo boo!! Praying it will heal quickly and she will be back to having tons of fun.

I think you did a great job of capturing the mood.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires