just a couple simple shots.C&C welcome

Coleman PhotographyColeman Photography Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
edited August 8, 2009 in People
Hey all, i was just messing around with some diff lighting all natural. was woundering your thoughts.

Comments

• Coleman PhotographyColeman Photography Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Catch lights are nice.....images seem on the soft side, however.
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Hmmm, not sure what it is but lighting just does not seem to work for me. Seems the top of the head from the eyes up are too dark like the lights were too low or something. However the position of the catch light in the eyes would seem to say that was not the case.

Beautiful girl with nice expressions, eye and smile. Just my 2 cents
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Coleman PhotographyColeman Photography Registered Users Posts: 351 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    My lighting was just window lighting she was about 10 feet from it with a small lamp to the left no shade. i thought lighting came out kinda harsh in spots.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    I have a question, did you use anything to difuse the light?
    edited August 6, 2009
    No nothing was used to defuse the light.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Window light can help to create some stunning portrait light, but.....simply placing a subject in front of a window doesn't guarantee a beautiful portrait. Even with "good" window light, angle/ direction of the light should be considered.
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    No nothing was used to defuse the light.

I'm not experienced in portraiture, but I've been reading a bit lately. I'm wondering if perhaps somthing used to difuse the light coming in a bit would have helped a bit? I read how even a garbage bag (white) can make a good difuser.

I guess my real problem with the picture is that the lighting is not very smooth. I think its too hot on her face in places, giving her the appearance of having mottled or oily skin. I just wonder if smoothing the light out a bit would help correct this?
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    My lighting was just window lighting she was about 10 feet from it with a small lamp to the left no shade. i thought lighting came out kinda harsh in spots.

This is why you lighting was harsh. Get closer to the window. The further from you light source the harsher the light gets. When you get as close as you can and a bit behind the edge of the window the light is softer and tends to wrap around your subject.

Also the light should not be hitting her in the chest. It needs to come over the near shoulder for the lades to sculpt the body.
  • asdesignsasdesigns Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    This is why you lighting was harsh. Get closer to the window. The further from you light source the harsher the light gets. When you get as close as you can and a bit behind the edge of the window the light is softer and tends to wrap around your subject.

Also the light should not be hitting her in the chest. It needs to come over the near shoulder for the lades to sculpt the body.

I really agree with this. I feel the light would have been alot more pleasing if you were closer to the window. Also I feel the focus is a little off, as these images are a little too soft for my taste, especially the eyes.

I do really like the simple pose and expression with a beautiful model though. clap.gif
    AS-Designs ~ Adam Sassatelli ~ www.asdesignsphotography.com