Black/White Ally pic

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited August 7, 2009 in People
So on my last "practice pretend engagment shoot" we came across a homeless man's "home" C&C please.
3768174956_7e2e9da585.jpg
Courtney

Comments

• bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    So on my last "practice pretend engagment shoot" we came across a homeless man's "home" C&C please.

Hmmmmm...and you had your subject invade his "home," why exactly? Forget entirely the questions related to hygine, and the vermin undoubtedly living there that might well have found their way onto your subject's jeans. But given your understanding that that was someone's "home," why, why, why would you use it for a prop for a "practice pretend engagement photo?"

ne_nau.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Hmmmmm...and you had your subject invade his "home," why exactly? Forget entirely the questions related to hygine, and the vermin undoubtedly living there that might well have found their way onto your subject's jeans. But given your understanding that that was someone's "home," why, why, why would you use it for a prop for a "practice pretend engagement photo?"

ne_nau.gif
    Ditto.

As for the picture, it looks pretty good on my monitor. It could be slightly underexposed but, being uncalibrated here, I can't say for sure. The composition is nice and, regardless of the morality of your locale, the models expression seems to fit nicely.
    Travis
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Ditto.

As for the picture, it looks pretty good on my monitor. It could be slightly underexposed but, being uncalibrated here, I can't say for sure. The composition is nice and, regardless of the morality of your locale, the models expression seems to fit nicely.

True - The expression being, 'oh, s*&t! Would you just take the damn photo so we can get out of here?!'wings.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited August 6, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    True - The expression being, 'oh, s*&t! Would you just take the damn photo so we can get out of here?!'wings.gif
    rolleyes1.gif
    Travis
  • christulkchristulk Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Forget entirely the questions related to hygine, and the vermin undoubtedly living there that might well have found their way onto your subject's jeans

Probably get more 'stuff' on your jeans on any public transport seat (bus/train etc) anywhere in the worldmwink.gif
    C&C always welcomed.

Cheers

Chris

http://christulk.smugmug.com

'alot' is two words "a_______lot":D
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009

Courtney...first mistake....saying this place is known to be a homeless guy's home......never tell anyone that or they will do as above......secondly that could be a matress that I saw just a mile or so from my house in downtown wichita....dumped in an alley by a cheapskate jerk not wanting to pay for taking to dump........
    I like the tension in the photo.....for all we know the subject said hey look lets try this......hell I've had a bride to be want a shot of her finance coming out of a nasty Dumpster....her joke was the rags to riches thingy....back to your photo......too much headroom...crop 2 or 3 bricks above her head........not to worry aboutthe word trespassing, missing the "g".....gets point across very well.........need prop(s) liquor bottle(s) beer can and some fully cooked chili cans lying around for the actual lived in look................a little more contrast ........it could be convincing
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited August 7, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    I like the tension in the photo.....for all we know the subject said hey look lets try this......hell I've had a bride to be want a shot of her finance coming out of a nasty Dumpster....her joke was the rags to riches thingy....back to your photo......too much headroom...crop 2 or 3 bricks above her head........not to worry aboutthe word trespassing, missing the "g".....gets point across very well.........need prop(s) liquor bottle(s) beer can and some fully cooked chili cans lying around for the actual lived in look................a little more contrast ........it could be convincing
    I have to disagree on a couple points here. First, I think the crop adds much of the tension seen in this photo. Tighten it too much and you just have a photo of a distraught girl. Keeping it open gives us a story -- a story about why the girl is tense. I don't necessarily think it says "homeless" but I do think it says "this place is cold and dark and I don't like where I'm at." Crop the baren top and I think you'll crop the story as well.

Keeping in line with the first point, adding props (beer bottles, chili cans, etc.) would likely dilute the discomfort. Get us drunk and fill our bellies and you can drop us in the Sahara with few complaints; I don't think an alley would bother us much.

My advice is to lose the homelss explanation. To me this shot isn't about living on the streets; it's about lonliness or discomfort. And though homelessness certainly includes those things it is certainly not necessary to tell the story.
    Travis
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 7, 2009
    Once upon a time you dressed so fine
    You threw the bums a dime in your prime, didnt you?
    Peopled call, say, beware doll, youre bound to fall
    You thought they were all kiddin you
    You used to laugh about
    Everybody that was hangin out
    Now you dont talk so loud
    Now you dont seem so proud
    About having to be scrounging for your next meal.

-Like a Rolling Stone, Bob Dylan
    I don't much see a connection with engagement here, but I like the idea of the pic. If anything, I would have dressed her up more while making her look a little disheveled. Also maybe go a little bit wider.
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Thank you for all the C&C. As far as my explanation goes perhaps I made the mistake of saying it was a homeless man's 'home". There was no homeless man there (I didn't tell some man to move out of the way so I could take a picture on his bed) to me it just looked like someone had maybe used it OR maybe someone (like another poster mentioned) dumped the mattress off in the alley so they wouldn't have to pay for dumping.
    As far as the fleas,lice, etc goes it was the model who wanted to try this pic in this location - worked out good for me (however she did get in my car afterwards headscratch.gif ).
    thanks again for looking and C&C!!
    Courtney
    Courtney
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I have to disagree on a couple points here. First, I think the crop adds much of the tension seen in this photo. Tighten it too much and you just have a photo of a distraught girl. Keeping it open gives us a story -- a story about why the girl is tense. I don't necessarily think it says "homeless" but I do think it says "this place is cold and dark and I don't like where I'm at." Crop the baren top and I think you'll crop the story as well.

Keeping in line with the first point, adding props (beer bottles, chili cans, etc.) would likely dilute the discomfort. Get us drunk and fill our bellies and you can drop us in the Sahara with few complaints; I don't think an alley would bother us much.

My advice is to lose the homelss explanation. To me this shot isn't about living on the streets; it's about lonliness or discomfort. And though homelessness certainly includes those things it is certainly not necessary to tell the story.

Thanks - I agree about the crop
    Courtney
    edited August 7, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif - funny as this location was her choice.
    Courtney