"border" Or "not To Border"

GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
edited August 8, 2009 in Landscapes
good day! :freaky i just want to share my conversation with Asher Kelman (Editor in Chief of OPF). he advised me the ff:
"Avoid frames, A black frame should only be use where it helps the presence, expression or other characteristic of the art. You can choose whatever frame you like. I however, find most black frames stifle appreciation. Images are enhanced by what is not actually there and what we imagine. The dark border, to me at least, holds that back."

i'm such a sucker for frames so ill be attaching 2 pics with borders and the other as is. kindly let me know what you think
thanks for looking:freaky

"Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."

Comments

• GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    good day! rolleyes1.gif i just want to share my conversation with Asher Kelman (Editor in Chief of OPF). he advised me the ff:

"Avoid frames, A black frame should only be use where it helps the presence, expression or other characteristic of the art. You can choose whatever frame you like. I however, find most black frames stifle appreciation. Images are enhanced by what is not actually there and what we imagine. The dark border, to me at least, holds that back."

i'm such a sucker for frames so ill be attaching 2 pics with borders and the other as is. kindly let me know what you think :)
    thanks for looking clap.gif
    "Beneath this mask there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask there is an idea and Ideas are Bulletproof..."
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    I've gotta say that the unframed shot does it for me. I have to agree with Mr. Kelman in this particular case.

Really nice shot regardless, though! thumb.gif
    Travis
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Asher is a very smart man! deal.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • GORIOGORIO Registered Users Posts: 262 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    i agree, learned a lot from himclap.gif but bordered version really gives a punch..
  • ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Photofinishing....
    I am an Asher Kelman fan myself.

One day I went to hear some world class photographers give their presentations at The Santa Fe Workshops. Matt Koslowski was giving his - he is one of the Photoshop experts known worldwide and Matt was showing his work - all of it breatktaking and all of it framed, digitally titled and signed. Some only with keylines and others large to medium frames - mostly white.

When asked by the students and fans of photography about his finishing he likened it to taking film into the lab. The lab always put some kind of border on the prints and he said that images without some kind of frame or border isn't finished. I like something around my images. Not necessarily a big black border - it can be a 1/4 inch white frame.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • dstainerdstainer Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    This is a very good question and one I am struggling to answer for my own work. I suppose it would depend on the photo itself and your personal taste. I’ve seen some pros swear on using only white borders. And others (who are equally successful) insist on black. Many of the finest galleries (on and offline) use white. White tends to be very clean, polished and traditional, and has a certain neutrality to it. Of course, some argue that the eye dominance of white can often compete with the photo itself. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    As for black, it can provide a nice barrier and block to keep your eyes from exiting the image, and exhibits a certain contemporary and modern feel. At the end of the day, it comes down to personal preference—although white borders are probably more readily accepted within the fine art community, although black is probably more unique.<o:p></o:p>
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    I agree with chatkat, I like some black boarder around most photos, although I have to say I prefer yours without the boarder, can't answer why. Maybe if it was equal around the entire photo it would look good, as it is now it is black then gray.

I really think that some photos are better suited than other for boarders. A photo that has a lot of dark elements in it would look great with a black boarder. The same can be said for a white boarder with white photo elements.

Maybe repost in all black if you have the time.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    I like the border! The picture is fantastic as well! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com