Color Space Problem?

didymusdidymus Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
edited November 2, 2005 in Finishing School
I am shooting in sRGB, CS2 is set to sRGB, raw converts into sRGB. Yet my exported jpegs look different in photoshop and other applications (firefox, picasa, etc). Specifically the images become more contrasty and saturated once out of PS. I have opened my exported image and it looks the same as my psd in photoshop. So I'm guessing PS is what is messed up somehow..

I cannot figure this one out, please help.

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Sorry you haven't heard anything on this issue yet. I've been computerless this weekend and I haven't had a chance to keep an eye on things around here.

I wont have access to PS CS until tomorrow morning. If you're still needing help I'll try to see what I can find.
  • didymusdidymus Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Here are some screenshots illustrating the problem, the second shot note the contrast difference, the first shows the saturation better. Any help is appreciated.

http://didymus.smugmug.com/gallery/619233
    edited June 28, 2005
    didymus wrote:
    Here are some screenshots illustrating the problem, the second shot note the contrast difference, the first shows the saturation better. Any help is appreciated.

http://didymus.smugmug.com/gallery/619233
    Anyone?
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 29, 2005
    didymus wrote:
    I am shooting in sRGB, CS2 is set to sRGB, raw converts into sRGB. Yet my exported jpegs look different in photoshop and other applications (firefox, picasa, etc). Specifically the images become more contrasty and saturated once out of PS. I have opened my exported image and it looks the same as my psd in photoshop. So I'm guessing PS is what is messed up somehow..

I cannot figure this one out, please help.

Did you save your jpgs via Save as or did you export them via SAVE for WEB?

What is your operating system? Photoshop is color space aware and WILL display sRGB as sRGB. Internet Explorer and Firefox are NOT color space aware and will not display sRGB images correctly. Nor will most of the other image viewers in Windoze. Not sure about Safari 2.0 at this time .

I looked at the images you posted in your gallery, but you have EXIF in fo turned off and so I cannot see the EXIF data and verify that the files loaded to smuggy are sRGB, Adobe RGB, or none of the above.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 29, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Did you save your jpgs via Save as or did you export them via SAVE for WEB?

What is your operating system? Photoshop is color space aware and WILL display sRGB as sRGB. Internet Explorer and Firefox are NOT color space aware and will not display sRGB images correctly. Nor will most of the other image viewers in Windoze. Not sure about Safari 2.0 at this time .

I looked at the images you posted in your gallery, but you have EXIF in fo turned off and so I cannot see the EXIF data and verify that the files loaded to smuggy are sRGB, Adobe RGB, or none of the above.
    Thanks for the help. I always use save as, I know save for web can screw things up. Windows 2000 OS. I didnt realize that IE / Firefox displayed sRGB differently from PS, I thought they simply assumed everything was in sRGB regardless. So are you saying everyone has this problem?

If you see this photo: http://didymus.smugmug.com/gallery/619233/1/26225539

Bridge is stating it is in sRGB, and firefox has the identical image open. Hopefully the problem is evident there. Its not an issue with smugmug, I'm comparing the exact same local sRGB image..
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited June 29, 2005
    didymus wrote:
    Thanks for the help. I always use save as, I know save for web can screw things up. Windows 2000 OS. I didnt realize that IE / Firefox displayed sRGB differently from PS, I thought they simply assumed everything was in sRGB regardless. So are you saying everyone has this problem?

If you see this photo: http://didymus.smugmug.com/gallery/619233/1/26225539

Bridge is stating it is in sRGB, and firefox has the identical image open. Hopefully the problem is evident there. Its not an issue with smugmug, I'm comparing the exact same local sRGB image..

Yes, precisely, IE and Firefox are NOT color space aware, nor is Windows, so images in Firefox or IE will NOT look exactly the same when displayed simultaneously on the very same monitor as an image in Photoshop which IS color space aware. That can explain why looking at images in Smugmug don't look like the image appears in PS. Especailly if the image is NOT tagged sRGB, - ie: an image in Adobe RGB has the profile stripped off and displayed as sRGB after uploadingto smuggy. That is why images look different when they are not sRGB tagged. It seems harder than it really needs to be, doesn't it?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited June 29, 2005
    pathfinder wrote:
    Yes, precisely, IE and Firefox are NOT color space aware, nor is Windows, so images in Firefox or IE will NOT look exactly the same when displayed simultaneously on the very same monitor as an image in Photoshop which IS color space aware. That can explain why looking at images in Smugmug don't look like the image appears in PS. Especailly if the image is NOT tagged sRGB, - ie: an image in Adobe RGB has the profile stripped off and displayed as sRGB after uploadingto smuggy. That is why images look different when they are not sRGB tagged. It seems harder than it really needs to be, doesn't it?
    agreed! thanks for the help. guess I'll just have to take the change into account if I'm going to get it perfect, lol.
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 30, 2005
    edited July 3, 2005
    Baldy wrote:
    Thanks baldy! I havent seen anyone mention the monitor profile anywhere before, you might link that in the help section even.
  • CindyCindy Registered Users Posts: 542 Major grins
    edited July 8, 2005
    I just read your blog entry but didn't see any replies. I am having this same problem... (posting in one of the other dgrin forums).

you wrote in your blog: To make Photoshop and your browser look almost identical, choose sRGB as your monitor profile. Then continue with life. One less thing.

I just spent $$$'s to purchase Monico Optix Pro xr so I could get my monitor to display better or more closely to smugmugs calibration print. Now what???
    Even when setting sRGB as the default display & manually/visually adjusting my monitor my viewable proofs in CS2 are still far enough different from your calibration print I don't dare guess anymore how the actual print will look. I uploaded & ordered what appeared to be a great looking photo and it came back with allmost white faces :(

Thanks,
    Cindy
    Baldy wrote:
    Cindy Colbert (Utterback) • Wishing You Co-Bear Love, Hugs & Laughter!!!
  • iamagooiamagoo Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited November 1, 2005
    "I uploaded & ordered what appeared to be a great looking photo and it came back with allmost white faces :(
    I haven't had anything printed but I'm having the same problem and I'm viewing on Safari. I've used a Spyder to calibrate but it hasn't fixed my problem: perfectly exposed shots in camera appear very dark in PS, then adjusted and uploaded where they are too bright! Damn, I thought I had this worked out last week but no such luck. Can anyone offer some advice?
  • BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited November 1, 2005
    Lightness/darkness is one of the tougher issues because monitors are getting lighter all the time but prints never change. And Macs are lighter than PCs.

Most people view their prints under subdued household lighting, so the prints even look darker.

One intersting factoid is I don't remember ever seeing a returned print with the auto option chosen in the shopping cart, but it's common for prints to be dark with true color.

Here's how to tell:

http://www.smugmug.com/help/too-dark

I hope this helps. Cindy, can you give me your order #?

Thanks,
    Chris
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    It's nowhere near buying a Spyder and calibrating monitors "right" but I've sent this image to be printed and will compare that to all my (and my friends' & family's) monitors.
  • AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    Calibration Prints
    StevenV wrote:
    It's nowhere near buying a Spyder and calibrating monitors "right" but I've sent this image to be printed and will compare that to all my (and my friends' & family's) monitors.

Hi there, Steven

We actually have a calibration print that you can use - it's the result of a ton of research led by baldy and sanity-checked with a boatload of pro photographers. Have a look thumb.gif
  • StevenVStevenV Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2005
    figures, Andy - there ain't a good idea I've had yet that hasn't already been done better by someone else xzicon_smile_cool.gif

thanks for the pointer. so much to learn, so much to learn...

The Monitor calibration Web Page says
    [quote](use the true color option in the shopping cart) [/quote] I'm confused - if most people choose Auto when printing, why would we get that one done using True?