Sigma 24-70mm test -- Nikon mount

rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
edited August 11, 2009 in Cameras
After not being happy with the Tamron 28-75mm, I rented the Sigma equivalent. It costs twice as much as has faster, quieter focus. It also has a tiny bit of vignetting at 24mm on a full frame sensor and is a bit soft wide open.

Here are some test pics taken at my job. Let me know what you think, and if you have this lens please share :D

612071419_nnKox-L-1.jpg

look at the corners
612080287_oWEA5-L.jpg

more corners
612182217_oNQVG-L.jpg

612181647_6nSD3-L.jpg

612181913_8iYAi-L.jpg

612071267_gKSqV-L.jpg

612182642_Atw7N-L.jpg

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 5, 2009
    Now i see wha t your doing after selling me the BIGMArolleyes1.gif
    Yeah I own that lens and for me has been tack sharp at 24 and at 70.....however it is tooooo long at 24 on a crop body.

I only saw some vignetting on 1 photo...what is different about that photo and the others??? Did you remove the petal shade or something??

Cool pix.......................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Finally got to test it with some action and am very disappointed. Went to a zip line ride today with my family and as the people were coming towards me it could not focus quick enough the entire day. Very annoying. I shot over and over and over and it could never get focus quick enough as the person came towards me on the line. I tried continuous focus, single shot focus and even manual and no luck :(

FWIW the Nikkor version I used just two weeks ago focused instantly. I guess that's why it costs $1,800 :P
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    wow....sorry it is not working for you.....but I never tried anything as fast as zip lining.........or I just had a superb copy.................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited August 8, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    wow....sorry it is not working for you.....but I never tried anything as fast as zip lining.........or I just had a superb copy.................

Yeah, after the Bigma I had high hopes. FWIW this lens seems to focus about half as fast as the 50-500.
  • angevin1angevin1 Registered Users Posts: 3,403 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Finally got to test it with some action and am very disappointed. Went to a zip line ride today with my family and as the people were coming towards me it could not focus quick enough the entire day. Very annoying. I shot over and over and over and it could never get focus quick enough as the person came towards me on the line. I tried continuous focus, single shot focus and even manual and no luck :(

FWIW the Nikkor version I used just two weeks ago focused instantly. I guess that's why it costs $1,800 :P

Ahhhhhh! Nothing like the sound of money!

these photos are quite sharp and clear! I don't have the lens, but if faster focus is what you have to have...$$$$$
    tom wise
    edited August 8, 2009
    angevin1 wrote:
    Ahhhhhh! Nothing like the sound of money!

these photos are quite sharp and clear! I don't have the lens, but if faster focus is what you have to have...$$$$$

Yes, as long as the subject is not moving it is clear. Although, now that I think about it, not many people buy a 24-70mm lens for action. I wish I had a 70-200mm for today but didn't plan ahead. Next rental is lined up though!
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Save up your pennies for the Nikkor. You won't regret buying that lens.

The photos you posted look sharp with decent contrast, but many lenses can perform this well on static subjects.