A few shots of plants - C&C Welcomed

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited August 23, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
#1 Does anyone know what kind of mushroom this is? This is the first one I seen like this.
611384273_YRsSZ-L.jpg

#2 A thisle in bloom.
611381327_YaC4X-L.jpg

#2 Another thisle with a bee
611380550_9PCAb-L.jpg

#3 Another thisle shot with a butterfly
611381151_5JU4U-L.jpg

#4 A giant sunflower. This one is probably 14ft or better tall, and has a huge stem!
611407792_s67tA-L.jpg

#5 A sunflower bud about to start to bloom.
611408662_C9XDj-L.jpg

Thanks for looking, and appreciate any and all C&C on these.

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    I love #1 (and I have no idea what type of mush that is) and #2. Very nice! Maybe remove the wires and rooftop behind #4. Good job. :)
    BroPhoto wrote:
    #1 Does anyone know what kind of mushroom this is? This is the first one I seen like this.
    611384273_YRsSZ-L.jpg

#2 A thisle in bloom.
    611381327_YaC4X-L.jpg

#2 Another thisle with a bee
    611380550_9PCAb-L.jpg

#3 Another thisle shot with a butterfly
    611381151_5JU4U-L.jpg

#4 A giant sunflower. This one is probably 14ft or better tall, and has a huge stem!
    611407792_s67tA-L.jpg

#5 A sunflower bud about to start to bloom.
    611408662_C9XDj-L.jpg

Thanks for looking, and appreciate any and all C&C on these.

GaryB
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Thanks for the comments Carrie. I posted #4 as is cause I'm not that great at cloaning out stuff yet, plus the roof sorta gives you an idea how high this sunflower is. If I can manage to get it right, I'll re-post it without the stuff you mentioned.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    GaryB, my thoughts on your shots:

1. I wish I knew the name of this one. It's a nice form factor to photograph and I can see why you did. It looks like your focus locked on the base of the 'schroom. Two issues, lighting and the frame.
    -too much glare at top of mushroom. You need to burn in the area. Also lighting is generally a bit too contrasty.
    -Too much stuff in the frame is extraneous to the mushroom and distracting. I would have lowered my angle of shooting a bit and used a less wide angle lens.

2. Thistles are interesting to photograph and it is too bad they are noxious weeds. I think your lens was a bit too wide angle and the shadow obscures part of the middle.

3. Too much in the frame and the lighting is problematic. Too glarey and bee is out of focus. You need a closeup lens and tripod here.

4. Pretty shot and great angle on butterfly. Again too wide a lens and not as sharp as I would like. Overexposed too.

5. Telephone wires kill the shot and the angle of the sunflower is weak. Snapshot.

6. Better but think about what is the heart of the picture and lose everything else.

Hope this helps.

M
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Well, I was looking at the original for the last one, and played around with the crop. Does this look suitable, or should I crop closer in?

617943464_6RmmT-L.jpg

I sorta like the added detail I'm now seeing on the edges of the petals and some of the leaves.

GaryB
    GaryB