A 1 year old & a fudge pop on a hot summer day

Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
edited August 7, 2009 in People
I stopped by a friends house for a visit, and while I was there, she gave her 1 year old a fuge pop. I just had to get a few shots, cause this combination leads to a mess. :D This is almost as good as watching them eat their first peice of cake. :rofl

#1 Just getting started
611452176_Hzn52-L.jpg

#2 Just about done.
611453742_cpNHY-L.jpg

Thanks for looking, and C&C welcomed.

GaryB
GaryB
“The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams

Comments

• ontherivetontherivet Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Not sure there's much to C&C here...snapshots of a kid (cute as they may be) taken with on-camera flash. Composition issues aside there needs to be something more going on to interest anyone beyond the parents.
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    ontherivet wrote:
    Not sure there's much to C&C here...snapshots of a kid (cute as they may be) taken with on-camera flash. Composition issues aside there needs to be something more going on to interest anyone beyond the parents.

Can you elaborate a little more on your comments? I don't see where the flash is located has anything to do with these photos as long as the subject is well lit. And what more needs to be happening to make these photos interesting? Yes, I admit these are snapshots, as they are not posed shots, and not done in a studio. I was just capturing a 1 year old eating a fudge pop and getting messy.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Can you elaborate a little more on your comments? I don't see where the flash is located has anything to do with these photos as long as the subject is well lit. And what more needs to be happening to make these photos interesting? Yes, I admit these are snapshots, as they are not posed shots, and not done in a studio. I was just capturing a 1 year old eating a fudge pop and getting messy.

GaryB

Not wanting to ruffle any feathers (and...Laughing.gif, since I have a little breathing time to surf the forum), please allow me to offer a couple observations.

DGrin, being a photography forum, most here attempt to display work that they can improve upon next time and typically try to post images that are appealing to a larger audience. We deal with all sorts of photographic issues and bouncing ideas off one another can be quite enlightening.

Where the light comes from has a great deal to do with the outcome of a photograph...in fact, I will say it is THE most important element. Harsh light=harsh shadows and a look that most who frequent the forums attempt not to duplicate.

There is nothing wrong with posting snapshots but it is possible there won't be many offering suggestions either, nor commenting. A well lit candid on the other hand, to where thought of light, seamless transition of that light to shadow and interesting compositions will afford a much more pleasing photograph. This in turn will make one a better photographer and encourage others to participate in the discussion.

We all have drawers of snapshots. Taking it up to a new level, one could try candids....attempting to rid the background of distracting elements, color balancing, smooth lighting, capturing great looks and expressions.

As the previous poster was pointing out, the shots are most likely near and dear to immediate family members. On a forum such as DGrin, they don't go real far in most cases. Yes, it is a messy fudgcicle :D
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
    edited August 7, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Not wanting to ruffle any feathers (and...Laughing.gif, since I have a little breathing time to surf the forum), please allow me to offer a couple observations.

DGrin, being a photography forum, most here attempt to display work that they can improve upon next time and typically try to post images that are appealing to a larger audience. We deal with all sorts of photographic issues and bouncing ideas off one another can be quite enlightening.

Where the light comes from has a great deal to do with the outcome of a photograph...in fact, I will say it is THE most important element. Harsh light=harsh shadows and a look that most who frequent the forums attempt not to duplicate.

There is nothing wrong with posting snapshots but it is possible there won't be many offering suggestions either, nor commenting. A well lit candid on the other hand, to where thought of light, seamless transition of that light to shadow and interesting compositions will afford a much more pleasing photograph. This in turn will make one a better photographer and encourage others to participate in the discussion.

We all have drawers of snapshots. Taking it up to a new level, one could try candids....attempting to rid the background of distracting elements, color balancing, smooth lighting, capturing great looks and expressions.

As the previous poster was pointing out, the shots are most likely near and dear to immediate family members. On a forum such as DGrin, they don't go real far in most cases. Yes, it is a messy fudgcicle :D

Swartzy:
    I understand and respect your comments here. No feathers ruffled. I was just puzzled by the other comment that there needs to be more happening in the photo to make it intersting, and was just asking him to elaborate on that. I normally like to work with natural light, and I admit that I need to start working more on the use of the flash. I've been looking in the manual on how to use the commander mode for the flash, but so far I haven't been able to get it to work with my SB600. Once I figure that out, then I'll be able to do some off the camera flash stuff, untill then, I'm stuck using it on the camera.

GaryB
    GaryB
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Swartzy:
    I understand and respect your comments here. No feathers ruffled. I was just puzzled by the other comment that there needs to be more happening in the photo to make it intersting, and was just asking him to elaborate on that. I normally like to work with natural light, and I admit that I need to start working more on the use of the flash. I've been looking in the manual on how to use the commander mode for the flash, but so far I haven't been able to get it to work with my SB600. Once I figure that out, then I'll be able to do some off the camera flash stuff, untill then, I'm stuck using it on the camera.

GaryB

Gary, about the flash. I'm not entirely sure what the problem you are having with your SB-600 and D300 is. Are you certain you have both the camera and the flash set up properly? I ask as you need to have the SB-600 set to remote, and then check that both the channel and the group are set correctly, on both the camera and the flash.

The next problem, and the one that only recently was figured out by me, is getting the camera flash to trigger the off camera flashes. In high ambient light, outdoors, it barely worked at all. For this, you might find that a second flash unit, such as the SB-800 or SB-900 ($$$$) might do the trick, since its more powerful, and can be aimed at the remote units, which also must be properly aimed back at the master.

I don't see why your flash doesn't work indoors though, as mine always did. So I think its probalby you have either the channel or the group set wrong. Maybe ask for more help about the flash if you need it.
  • ontherivetontherivet Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Dave, very well stated, I think you captured essence of the board and what C&C is all about. Thanks for completing my thoughts.

Gary, didn't mean to come off terse in my comments, sorry for not elaborating. Every shot of my daughter is essentially a snapshot - there's no posing a 7 month old - but I try and take most of those shots with what Dave mentioned in mind. What kind of light is available or do I need to supplement? Where is the light coming from? What's in the background? What DOF do I want? And then, can I capture the moment in a way that might appeal to more than just me? I try to capture the moment as a photographer and just not a dad, even though most of those skills are quite raw at the moment.

So, if I'm posting something here or elsewhere I'm doing so for critique of my skills as a photographer. My wife handles the critique of the rest of my "skills".

Gary, quick edit to augment the "needs to be more happening statement" that was unclear. Probably due to the harshness of the light, especially the second shot, it's very much a freeze-frame and she has a bit of the deer-in-headlights look. Softer light would have helped some here. The "more happening" could be something as simple as a bit more emotion, not necessarily physical action. Could be achieved by having her in her own moment, not looking at the camera. Hope that makes sense.
    edited August 7, 2009
    Gary, about the flash. I'm not entirely sure what the problem you are having with your SB-600 and D300 is. Are you certain you have both the camera and the flash set up properly? I ask as you need to have the SB-600 set to remote, and then check that both the channel and the group are set correctly, on both the camera and the flash.

The next problem, and the one that only recently was figured out by me, is getting the camera flash to trigger the off camera flashes. In high ambient light, outdoors, it barely worked at all. For this, you might find that a second flash unit, such as the SB-800 or SB-900 ($$$$) might do the trick, since its more powerful, and can be aimed at the remote units, which also must be properly aimed back at the master.

I don't see why your flash doesn't work indoors though, as mine always did. So I think its probalby you have either the channel or the group set wrong. Maybe ask for more help about the flash if you need it.

I finally figured out how to get the SB600 to work as a remote. I didn't think of setting it up while on the camera. I was unable to get to the menu on the sb600 to set the flash up as a remote and the channel #. Once I put the flash on the camera, BINGO, I was able to get to the settings and now it works! What I did to figure it out was download the PDF files of the manuals and open them both up side by side, and then was able to figure it out. I may have to write out the instructions on a 3x5 card to refer to untill I can memorize them.

Next month I'll be having 11 days off (much needed vaccation), so I'll have plenty of time to practice with it. I might even experiment next weekend using it during the bike race, cause the one spot I have picked out will be very shadey, as there are a lot of trees on both sides of the street.

Thanks for giving me that little kick in the butt to get this working!

GaryB
    GaryB
    edited August 7, 2009
    ontherivet wrote:
    Dave, very well stated, I think you captured essence of the board and what C&C is all about. Thanks for completing my thoughts.

Gary, didn't mean to come off terse in my comments, sorry for not elaborating. Every shot of my daughter is essentially a snapshot - there's no posing a 7 month old - but I try and take most of those shots with what Dave mentioned in mind. What kind of light is available or do I need to supplement? Where is the light coming from? What's in the background? What DOF do I want? And then, can I capture the moment in a way that might appeal to more than just me? I try to capture the moment as a photographer and just not a dad, even though most of those skills are quite raw at the moment.

So, if I'm posting something here or elsewhere I'm doing so for critique of my skills as a photographer. My wife handles the critique of the rest of my "skills".

Gary, quick edit to augment the "needs to be more happening statement" that was unclear. Probably due to the harshness of the light, especially the second shot, it's very much a freeze-frame and she has a bit of the deer-in-headlights look. Softer light would have helped some here. The "more happening" could be something as simple as a bit more emotion, not necessarily physical action. Could be achieved by having her in her own moment, not looking at the camera. Hope that makes sense.

I am very new to flash photography as I've always used available light. I mostly shot auto racing back in the 80's when I was shooting film. One thing led to another, and had to sell everything, and got out of photography for a while. Last year I decided to get back into photography when I seen the Nikon D40, and bought it. Shortly afterwards, my mother was diagnosed with gall bladder cancer, and the day before she passed away, she told me she was glad I finally found something I have a passion for and wished I would persue it further. Now instead of just shooting auto races, I'm trying to branch out and shoot more things. Hopefully one of these days everything will fall into place and my images will be of the caliber of some of the pros on this board. So in closing, I was only looking for a clarification of your comments so I can figure out what I did wrong and fix it the next time. No hard feelings here!

GaryB
    GaryB
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    I finally figured out how to get the SB600 to work as a remote. I didn't think of setting it up while on the camera. I was unable to get to the menu on the sb600 to set the flash up as a remote and the channel #. Once I put the flash on the camera, BINGO, I was able to get to the settings and now it works! What I did to figure it out was download the PDF files of the manuals and open them both up side by side, and then was able to figure it out. I may have to write out the instructions on a 3x5 card to refer to untill I can memorize them.

Next month I'll be having 11 days off (much needed vaccation), so I'll have plenty of time to practice with it. I might even experiment next weekend using it during the bike race, cause the one spot I have picked out will be very shadey, as there are a lot of trees on both sides of the street.

Thanks for giving me that little kick in the butt to get this working!

GaryB

Well have fun, and just be prepared that in bright situations, it may not work. It frustrated me a lot at first. Hope you'll post some shots of these bike rases.

Of course, then you'll find out about high speed sync and all that other stuff. haha.