Nike Missile Site SF88

anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
edited August 6, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Just across the Golden Gate Bridge in the Marin Headlands lies one of the 24 Nike Missile sites in the SF Bay Area. All of the others are in various states of forbidden access/abandonment, but this one has been very well restored and has guided tours. More info about SF88 is on my photoblog @ www.anvilimage.com.

611052634_3PZbE-XL.jpg

-joe
Joe Ercoli
My Photo Blog - www.anvilimage.com
My Smugmug Gallery

Comments

• DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    I remember these in my home town. They were completely dismantled years ago, along with the radar site nearby, years ago. Now part of a University campus!

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    This is the only one that I know of, at least on the West Coast, that has been restored like this. I didn't realize how many of them there were around here until I found some info on the 'net. The parking lot at a local beach area/hang gliding spot happens to be an old Nike site and the missile elevators are capped off with concrete. I bet most people parking there don't know what they're driving over!
    Joe Ercoli
    My Photo Blog - www.anvilimage.com
    My Smugmug Gallery
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Nice shot! Good lighting and composition. thumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers