9 month old session in Indy

JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
edited August 7, 2009 in People
I've been photographing this family since this little guy was a newborn. For his 9 month session we went to a local park in Indy. I love shooting little ones in a park, but you really have to move fast to keep up with them.
Oh, I'm realizing very quickly that getting eye contact with little ones is VERY Very hard. LOL

604145607_TmyAf-L-1.jpg
606904511_uCRKr-L.jpg
606894668_FcCKJ-L.jpg
606898539_n4irG-L.jpg
606903517_2G7t2-L.jpg
611303047_PyFRH-L.jpg
611319396_8nH4C-L.jpg

Comments

• Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    #5 is the winner - by a wide margin. I love that shot!!! The guy's expression is priceless - so cute!
  • Memories by MelindaMemories by Melinda Registered Users Posts: 140 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    #5 is the winner - by a wide margin. I love that shot!!! The guy's expression is priceless - so cute!

I have to agree with Scott headscratch.gif. 5 is great!
  • GemGemGemGem Registered Users Posts: 355 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    They are all great, but I am really liking #3 and #5. I am thinking maybe #7 would look great in B&W and or Sepia. Great work.
    GG
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Holliday Park??! My son's most favorite park.

#3 and #4 are my favorites. thumb.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    When I saw #5, I said, "Awwww," out loud and melted inside. That is too adorable.
  • SwartzySwartzy Registered Users Posts: 3,293 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Hi Julie,

Yes, 5 is great. #1 is green...Laughing.gif (calibrated monitor here). #2 is green as well but even much more importantly is the angle in which you shot. Shooting the little one's sometimes takes some crazy angles to find the "great" shot. This one is a bit square on with little "pull me into the frame".

The processing is a bit too plastic (and trust me, I do lots of skin smoothing). What we want is believable but yet elegant skin...it takes some practice finding that correct blend. I think what jumps out at me here (except the little girl inside the circle thingy) is that the lighting is bright and even throughout the frame. Shadows, when used correctly add such a dynamic to a photo, so use that to your advantage when at all possible...even if it means doing it in post.
    Swartzy:
    NAPP Member | Canon Shooter
    Weddings/Portraits and anything else that catches my eye.
    www.daveswartz.com
    Model Mayhem site http://www.modelmayhem.com/686552
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Julie, I would love to shoot with you, some time in Indy! Which park was this at? It almost looks like Avon Washington Township park off 36, but the colors are a little bright...

And in fact, have been having THE HARDEST time, getting my family done, because it's hard for me to pose, and shoot, when I am one of the ones I have to pose.
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Swartzy wrote:
    Hi Julie,

Yes, 5 is great. #1 is green...Laughing.gif (calibrated monitor here). #2 is green as well but even much more importantly is the angle in which you shot. Shooting the little one's sometimes takes some crazy angles to find the "great" shot. This one is a bit square on with little "pull me into the frame".

The processing is a bit too plastic (and trust me, I do lots of skin smoothing). What we want is believable but yet elegant skin...it takes some practice finding that correct blend. I think what jumps out at me here (except the little girl inside the circle thingy) is that the lighting is bright and even throughout the frame. Shadows, when used correctly add such a dynamic to a photo, so use that to your advantage when at all possible...even if it means doing it in post.

I don't see the green in #1. I do see it in #2 though. =)
    I had a hard time as I tried to get eye contact with him smiling but he was'nt having any of it for me...but he would for his mommy who was right next to me.ne_nau.gif I've got to find another way. I think maybe the action that I used caused the plastic look. I really don't do any skin smoothing on babies cause I don't like the way it looks when I do it, but like I said...I'm pretty sure the action caused that look.

I shot this starting at 5:30 and I had my daughter with me holding the reflector. Can you explain more what you mean about the shadows? Do you mean shadows on the subject?:D
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Julie, I would love to shoot with you, some time in Indy! Which park was this at? It almost looks like Avon Washington Township park off 36, but the colors are a little bright...

And in fact, have been having THE HARDEST time, getting my family done, because it's hard for me to pose, and shoot, when I am one of the ones I have to pose.

My mother-in-law lives in Indy. :D This was at Holliday Park. It's got a really cool playground. If you want a session, send me a PM. :D

It is hard to do family pics when you're the one to do it. That's why I don't have any of my family. haha