DSS#30 - Your opinion please

travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
edited August 7, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I uploaded last night this photo to the contest:

#1 Street artist current

612093893_oYcKq-XL-4.jpg

However, last week I took several shots of this same street artist at the buskers festival in Ottawa.

#2 Street artist

608527549_Q6GNy-L-2.jpg

#3 Street artist

608528477_Ge4vD-L-2.jpg

# 4 Another street artist

612093170_MzyVj-L-1.jpg

#5 Another street artist

606993208_x43VY-L-1.jpg

#6 Another street artist

612661788_A37n2-L.jpg

I also took some shots at the farmers market:

#7 Farmer vendor

611871271_crVrg-L-1.jpg

#8 Mom farmer at the market

611867923_3dFah-L-1.jpg

Please give me your opinion on these. Should I keep my current entry,
should I go with one of the others, or should I go and find new shots?

Sorry I gave you so many to look at, but I really cannot decide what to do...

Thank you :)
Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
VegasGreatAttractions.com
Travelways.com

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Tatiana, I can't see any photos. ne_nau.gif
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

Linda, thank you for the quick reply - I'll be back with the photos shortly.
    Travelways.com
    edited August 6, 2009
    richtersl wrote:

The photos are up now - thank you so much :)
    Travelways.com
    edited August 6, 2009
    You've got a crop of good ones, here. thumb.gif

#8 is just OK. It doesn't do much for me, though. ne_nau.gif

#7 is quite nice and fits the theme well. I like the colors and her expression. If you decide to enter that one, I would clone out the red print in the upper right corner.

The processing on #6 is really cool. And, I love the expression on the face of the man in the background. But for the purpose of this challenge, I think he is drawing some of the attention away from your main subject. I wonder what #7 would look like if you gave it the same treatment as you gave the drummer in this shot? Just keep #7 in color but try giving it that "sketchy-grainy" look.

The face of the man in #4 & #5 creeps me out. Sorry. ne_nau.gif

#3 really pulls me into the scene and I like it a lot. thumb.gif But I'm not sure how much of a face you need to see in order for something to be considered a portrait.

In #2 the blank expression and stance just don't work for me. Also the shadow that the hat is casting on his face is distracting. At least to me it is.

Your current entry is really good. Even on this dark monitor I can make out the details in his shirt so you did a really fine job on handling the exposure in this shot. I can see he's really absorbed in his work. But I have one question for you: is the photo cropped or did you frame it that tightly? I like the crop as is but I'm wondering how it would look if you showed a little more of his surroundings.

That festival sure provided you with some wonderful photo ops!!
    edited August 6, 2009
    Linda,

Thank you so much as always for your extended, detailed revision :)

This is the original size of the current entry:
    (sorry for the watermark - i removed it, but it's still there...)

612722068_3oAab-L-0.jpg

On #7 I thought to keep the red print to balance the other red print on the left - but I can take
    them both out of there :)

- I also thought about using the same sketch processing. The reason why I didn't do it was
    because that would give me too many small lines on the vegetables area, which can be distracting.

Right now all the vegetables are more or less a (quite) big area of shapes and colors, hopefully
    not too much distracting. I can try thought that processing...

I know what you mean about the others... ha, ha...

... and yes, I don't know either how much of the face is needed for such a portrait and also what
    percentage of the photo the face should take...
    Travelways.com
    edited August 6, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    On #7 I thought to keep the red print to balance the other red print on the left - but I can take
    them both out of there :)
    Just the red print in the upper right corner. You can't read what it says, anyway.
    photo-bug wrote:
    - I also thought about using the same sketch processing. The reason why I didn't do it was
    because that would give me too many small lines on the vegetables area, which can be distracting.
    Yeah, you're right. nod.gif But what if you played with the opacity of that layer? headscratch.gif

Now I can see why you cropped your current entry the way you did. :D
    edited August 6, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Just the red print in the upper right corner. You can't read what it says, anyway.

Yeah, you're right. nod.gif But what if you played with the opacity of that layer? headscratch.gif

I can try :)

richtersl wrote:
    Now I can see why you cropped your current entry the way you did. :D

... and if I crop it square, the thirds fall into non essential areas... :cry

612761505_78Pgy-L.jpg
    Travelways.com
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    As usual I am finding myself opening up my mind to how others interpret a theme vs how I have thought of it from the outset. In this case, I still can't shake the idea that an "Environmental Portrait" is a portrait of an individual set in their defining environment, meaning that the subject is in and amongst the things that define what or who they are. That's why I feel a picture of someone actively doing what they do is not necessarily, rarely in my view, the same as a portrait. I'm trying to see this differently, but so far very few such images brought into the forum meet the theme..

So Tatiana, following my logic, the only portrait I see here is really #7, and perhaps #2. With number 7, I think it needs to be wider to have much more of the defining environment. Same for #2, where I think you are really catching a moment of reflection and consideration while he is active. Again, for that one perhaps attempt to get a wider angle and show more of the drawing(s). A wide pic of him sitting there looking at you, but more to the side, with his chalks, but showing a complete street drawing to his side. For the dancer, perhaps convince him to stand on his head with folded arms and look straight at you. That would be stunning!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
    edited August 6, 2009
    Thank you Mark, I really appreciate your reply :)

... So would any of these below be better?

artist new #1

612791726_CXmpB-L.jpg

artist new #2

612851859_FnUtL-L.jpg

artist new #3

612792919_GQr87-L.jpg

farmer new #1

612795696_P7gNF-L.jpg

farmer new #2

612797004_knpDg-L.jpg
    Travelways.com
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    I think I like the new number 2 the best. Although I kinda like the second break dancer too.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    HoofClix wrote:
    As usual I am finding myself opening up my mind to how others interpret a theme vs how I have thought of it from the outset. In this case, I still can't shake the idea that an "Environmental Portrait" is a portrait of an individual set in their defining environment, meaning that the subject is in and amongst the things that define what or who they are. That's why I feel a picture of someone actively doing what they do is not necessarily, rarely in my view, the same as a portrait. I'm trying to see this differently, but so far very few such images brought into the forum meet the theme..

So Tatiana, following my logic, the only portrait I see here is really #7, and perhaps #2.

15524779-Ti.gif

I like 7, and also think that 3 is a possibility...
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Give me a little bit.....I need some time to look these over!! Stay tuned... :D
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
    edited August 6, 2009
    Thank you guys.

Hmm... what to choose now headscratch.gif

However I see that #7 was most voted:

#7 Farmer vendor (I adjusted it a little)

612896995_P7kGJ-L-1.jpg

Now in the new light brought in by Mark, this photo should become this:

farmer new #2

612933530_2oEcB-L.jpg

Am I right? or should I go with the cropped one?

I think I start to like this lady more than the street artist...headscratch.gif

However, don't you think that this one has a better expression?

farmer new #1

612795696_P7gNF-L.jpg

What do you think?
    Travelways.com
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Wait, wait, wait....don't give up on the artist yet!!

I like your original entry. I think it achieved the perfect balance of subject vs. environment. The only thing that I think could have improved this image was eye contact, which is why new artist #2 is really growing on me. clap.gif He has such a great, honest expression - like he really loves what he is doing. At first I was a bit distract by the background people....but heck, this is an environmental portrait and those people are a BIG part of his environment. I might though just clone out the bright green blob in the background.

I like the farmer vendor because of the brightly colored veggies of all shapes and sizes....this is a great "bling" photo, but I'm not convinced of the portrait itself. It's difficult to tell from the image size you have posted, but I think the facial features are a bit soft, and think her eyes could have benefited from a reflector or fill light. ne_nau.gif

Don't give up on the street artist just yet!!!
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    All of these are much more in the right direction! With the street artist it's now just a question of your choice for the expression you want on the face, and then how completely you include his product. That is, don't cut off any part of the drawing he is working on...
    photo-bug wrote:
    Thank you Mark, I really appreciate your reply :)

... So would any of these below be better?

artist new #1

612791726_CXmpB-L.jpg

artist new #2

612851859_FnUtL-L.jpg

artist new #3

612792919_GQr87-L.jpg

farmer new #1

612795696_P7gNF-L.jpg

farmer new #2

612797004_knpDg-L.jpg
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Artist new #2 is your best shot in my humble opinion... the only thing I would suggest is fill flash or you can try painting the face with light in PS... The new 2 artist is more engaging than the farm stand girl. great venue and some very nice shots!

Winston thumb.gif
    edited August 6, 2009
    Thank you so much guys :)

Oh I love the artist's smile in this photo:

artist new #2

612851859_FnUtL-L.jpg

- I almost fell in love with him when I saw it (in the picture) and thought - hmm... I may still look attractive
    ... never mind ;)

Anyway I really like that photo too, I just thought it was inappropriate for a portrait (in a contest context)...

- Yes, I can clone out that green thing in the background - I haven't even noticed it before :)

However Winston:
    ...the only thing I would suggest is fill flash or you can try painting the face with light in PS

I have no idea what you are talking about...ne_nau.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited August 6, 2009
    PS:

... and Mark,

If I want to show his whole art, unfortunately I get that sign in the way...

612969431_Qqxwv-L.jpg
    Travelways.com
    edited August 6, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:

However Winston:
    I have no idea what you are talking about...ne_nau.gif

Well fill flash would require a re shoot using an off camera flash aimed in such a way that it filled the shadow under his brim... :D painting with light on the other hand is done in post processing... I'll try and explain... In the layers pallet, at the bottom click the create a new layer button while holding down the alt key, a dialog box will appear, choose soft light for the mode and check the box below that... click ok to create this layer then use a soft paint brush and paint with white to lighten or black to darken... adjust your brush opacity to low levels to begin with so you don't over do it... remember it is only a layer and can easily be undone or re done... hope that helps...

Winston
    edited August 6, 2009
    Well fill flash would require a re shoot using an off camera flash aimed in such a way that it filled the shadow under his brim... :D painting with light on the other hand is done in post processing... I'll try and explain... In the layers pallet, at the bottom click the create a new layer button while holding down the alt key, a dialog box will appear, choose soft light for the mode and check the box below that... click ok to create this layer then use a soft paint brush and paint with white to lighten or black to darken... adjust your brush opacity to low levels to begin with so you don't over do it... remember it is only a layer and can easily be undone or re done... hope that helps...

Winston

Yeah, thank you, I have read this on the DGrin tips and tricks... only that my photos cannot be re-shot,
    they were not done in a studio, but at the buskers festival (in the day time) which is over, and even if it was not, they
    were fast, candid photos. No way I could have told them to wait for me to do my tricks :)

- I thought you were talking about some pp...
    Travelways.com
    edited August 6, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    Yeah, thank you, I have read this on the DGrin tips and tricks... only that my photos cannot be re-shot,
    they were not done in a studio, but at the buskers festival (in the day time) which is over, and even if it was not, they
    were fast, candid photos. No way I could have told them to wait for me to do my tricks :)

- I thought you were talking about some pp...

painting with light is a post process as I explained in my previous post... :D

"painting with light on the other hand is done in post processing... I'll try and explain... In the layers pallet, at the bottom click the create a new layer button while holding down the alt key, a dialog box will appear, choose soft light for the mode and check the box below that... click ok to create this layer then use a soft paint brush and paint with white to lighten or black to darken... adjust your brush opacity to low levels to begin with so you don't over do it... remember it is only a layer and can easily be undone or re done..."
    edited August 6, 2009
    painting with light is a post process as I explained in my previous post... :D

"painting with light on the other hand is done in post processing... I'll try and explain... In the layers pallet, at the bottom click the create a new layer button while holding down the alt key, a dialog box will appear, choose soft light for the mode and check the box below that... click ok to create this layer then use a soft paint brush and paint with white to lighten or black to darken... adjust your brush opacity to low levels to begin with so you don't over do it... remember it is only a layer and can easily be undone or re done..."

Ah OK, sorry I missunderstood... yes, I know this technique and used it in all the previous photos
    with this artist - I had too because of his hat's shadow...

These new artist's photos have not been edited yet. I just uploaded them as examples.

Yes, sure I'll do some work on light, contrast, sharpness etc. if I decide to go with this photo.

I'm still not sure if I'll choose the lady farmer or the guy street artist... headscratch.gif

Thank you very much for the explanations thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited August 6, 2009
    BTW:

Actually, using that lighting method and another sharpening similar method I worked on the lady's eyes
    and lips.

Here is a detail of one of the lady's photos:

613008120_4xMQX-L.png

Do you guys think that this may be a little Kitsch?...headscratch.gif

PS: before was this:

613026190_8fdm6-L.png
    Travelways.com
    edited August 6, 2009
    You can also try something called "eye pop", which is described in this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=551819&postcount=24. Less is "more" when trying this.
    edited August 6, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    You can also try something called "eye pop", which is described in this thread: http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=551819&postcount=24. Less is "more" when trying this.

Thank you Linda,

I'll try that - it sounds very, very interesting thumb.gif
    Travelways.com
    edited August 7, 2009
    photo-bug wrote:
    Thank you Linda,

I'll try that - it sounds very, very interesting thumb.gif

I did try it and this is what I got.

I think I'll go with this one to the contest, if I don't get anything else during the week-end :)

613374661_t67f4-L.jpg

What do you guys think?

* Thank you so much everybody for the help, opinions and ideas :D
    Travelways.com