Do you always carry your DSLR with you?

brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited August 6, 2009 in Cameras
I dont always (maybe the fact that I just got my first DSLR last week), prior to that I most always had my Canon S3 IS or Fuji F100FD with me.

So I was just curious - do you always have a DSLR with you or just a P&S or nothing?

Do you always carry your DSLR with you? 67 votes

Yes 100% of the time
20%
DeeSeymoreArt Scottmoose135OhEddietimnosenzoDsrtVWangevin1bbeck4x4Cygnus Studiosbobcanamg2833thothBrentC 14 votes
Nope to big and bulky
4%
Shimadgsmithcjmchch 3 votes
Nope my P&S is always with me
20%
pathfinderZanottikaldarahgernhardtjrGSteveMefforddenisegoldbergdgsmithCuongtisunkejago[Deleted User]MLangtonPhotog4Christ 14 votes
I only take a camera when I think I will need it
53%
NikolaidkoyanagiGSPePkini62Awais YaqubDuckys54Antonio Correiaed_hJusticeiroswintonphotoeoren1kohr2000The Curious Camelk2c1959heatherfeatherwizzydgsmithGrainbeltQarikpyry 36 votes

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Yes 100% of the time
    At this point, always. Yeah it's bulky and I'd like to have a new E-P1 so I don't have to but I don't so it's there. :)
    Travis
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Yes 100% of the time
    always 1(D300+18-200), most of the time 2 (previous kit + D300+50-500 kit), and sometimes the prosumer p/s Konica Minolta A2 is along also.....
    have camera's will travel............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Yes 100% of the time
    Always -- it fits in my purse. Camera and TWO lenses, spare battery, spare compact flash, camera manual, micro fiber cloth, remote.
  • Photog4ChristPhotog4Christ Registered Users Posts: 716 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Nope my P&S is always with me
    P & S is always with me.

I only take the DSLR when going out to shoot something specific.
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Until few years ago, that was indeed my case. I was carrying my camera with me at all times. At some point I realized I never use it in that mode and stopped doing that. Now if I need a snapshot I always have my 3mp LG Dare (cell phone) with me.
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • JonnyyayaJonnyyaya Registered Users Posts: 181 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    I always have my DSLR camera's and lens with me in in the car you never know what might happen anywhere you go.. I also have a P & S with me everywhere :D
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Yes 100% of the time
    I am in the always carry the camera camp also. I usually keep two lenses with me so I can go wide or go deep.
    Steve

Website
  • ZimtokZimtok Registered Users Posts: 41 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Camera is always with me under normal conditions....

BUT there are times I purposely don't take it.

• rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    I go to the mall, supermarket, out to lunch, work, etc. I do NOT carry a camera with me. I would always have to worry about security and rarely, if ever, feel that I missed a great photo opportunity.

There are so many times that I deliberately go out and shoot that I do not want a camera with me when I am not purposefully traveling with my camera.
  • nxthreenxthree Registered Users Posts: 84 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Usually my cell phone camera takes most of the random snapshots.

Otherwise, for important photo emergencies, I have an N80 loaded with Fuji 200 in the trunk of my car. Old school, but better than a P&S. (although I'm sure someone will debate that)
  • BrentCBrentC Registered Users Posts: 15 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Yes 100% of the time
    I always have some kind of photographic gear with me 100% of the time. It can be as simple as a Nikon Coolpix S! which was my first digital. If I'm hiking or in our tandem kayak with my bride then it's the Canon Power Shot S3. If it is note worthy and really saleable then it will be with the Nikon D80 or the Cannon XTi 400D(raw only), which ever one I'm using at the time. But at least two cameras travel with me all the time. Back in the day I use to haul around the Calumet 4x5d mono-rail view with me. Long live digital, yipee!!
    Dusty Trails, vegasdesertfox
    Have tent will camp
    http://www.vegasdesertfox.smugmug.com
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Since, as I mentioned, I was in the same boat until I realized it's not worth the troubles, I wonder if anybody who still carries the equipment with them can share the following info:
    • over the course of last 12 months, how many times did you used the said gear for such an "unexpected shoot"?
    • if you did, would you mind sharing the results (liks are fine)?
    Speaking from my own personal experience, I had two cases over ~7-8 years when there were some curios sky effects that benefited from being captured on a decent camera. However, I must honestly say that my typical commute was dull and short (plus SoCal skies are notoriously featureless most of the time), so I don't discard the possibilities of the fact that people commuting in a more scenic areas can actually benefit from the habit of carrying the stuff around...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Yes 100% of the time
    I keep my bag in the trunk all the time. As to "unexpected shots", I often run across interesting visitors at my local airport. In fact, when I worked about 5 minutes from there, I was always hearing about some special visitor en route, and dashing down to shoot it. I'd never be able to catch them if I had to drive 20 minutes home to get my gear. I have a friend who worked two blocks away, and I'd shoot off an e-mail to give him a heads up, only to have him respond "I knew I should have brought my camera with me today!"

570062550_tqCmo-L.jpg

Philadelphia Flyers arriving to play the NY Islanders:
    414405811_uwH7m-L-1.jpg

394937486_xZ8Qn-L-1.jpg

I will say my "strangest" catch was seeing workers install this giant replica of "American Gothic" in a local park eek7.gif
    http://moose135.smugmug.com/gallery/3506556_cYDjr/1/197848286_yeh8C

197848940_Fr9Sh-L-1.jpg

197849138_yjt75-L-1.jpg
  • GrainbeltGrainbelt Registered Users Posts: 478 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    I always have somewhere between 1 and 4 cameras on me, but one is a cell phone.

From there, in the order of convenience, I add a P&S, small old film SLR, and DSLR.
  • PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Not DSLR everyday. Nowadays the camera phone can go up to 5 MP and comes with flash, it produces pretty good quality and use it to take all unexpected shoots.
    Keep the old 300D with 18-200 mm in the dry box in the boot of the car. Bring along the 5D mount with 24-105 and flash for all business trip. Optional 17-40 and 70-200 F2.8 depends on how much free I can get overseas.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • amg2833amg2833 Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Yes 100% of the time
    I've just recently got to the point where I carry my DSLR everywhere. I'm a college student, and I purchased a good dual backpack/camera case. Since I always had a backpack before this purchase, my camera goes everywhere.
    ANTHONY :thumb
    [AMG]photos

[Yashica Lynx 14E | Canon 30D | Tamron 17-50 f/2.8 | 540ez | Cactus V4s]

• DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Yes 100% of the time
    I do not carry it on my person always but it is as near the the vehicle I am driving at the time.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Yes 100% of the time
    Nikolai wrote:
    Since, as I mentioned, I was in the same boat until I realized it's not worth the troubles, I wonder if anybody who still carries the equipment with them can share the following info:
    • over the course of last 12 months, how many times did you used the said gear for such an "unexpected shoot"?
    • if you did, would you mind sharing the results (liks are fine)?

I also do some freelance work for the local newspapers and assignments can happen while on the road, so that is one reason to always keep a camera on hand.
    I also use the camera for scout work while looking for locations.
    Steve

Website