Laptop or Desktop?

reynazackphotographyreynazackphotography Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
edited August 7, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
I am purchasing a new mac very soon.
I am torn between getting a laptop or a desktop.
I am a family portrait and headshot photographer.

I understand the screen quality of a desktop is better but people seem to think the portability of a laptop is WAY better. However, is it worth the extra $1,000 for a laptop?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Reyna

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 6, 2009
    Reyna,

I have both, a MacPro and a MacBookPro.

I agree that the larger, higher quality screen of the Cinema Displays is much better than a laptops screen. I know there are folks who edit on a laptop screen, but I REALLY prefer the bigger, better screen of my desktop. Hands down! Bigger really is better, especially if it is a matte screen and not a glossy laptop screem Stick with a matte screen!

Portability is nice, but by the time you have your laptop and two portable hard drives hooked up, it is not longer that portable. Why two external drives, you ask? I always want at least two copies of my image files, and I do not want them on the main hard drive of a laptop computer, so tow external drives. My destop unit has a main HD for programs, and three 1 Tb drives for data redundancy.

Just my way of thinking........
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    is it worth the extra $1,000 for a laptop?

How do you figure that math?

20090806-j8m214yr4w4k59q6s9ddxatsyp.jpg
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Pathfinder,

Can you take e look at my question in the "Drobo" thread?

You have the Mac Pro and are using 3 drives for data, and one for programs. Do you need any additional software to configure the drives? How about the scratch disk? How much storage do you actually have? 1TB, 1.5TB? Do you also have any external HDs?

THanks!!

Sam
  • reynazackphotographyreynazackphotography Registered Users Posts: 45 Big grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    That price you're showing for the macbook pro is the base model, with the smallest screen and slowest processor. When I compared the models I actually wanted to buy, the laptop model came out almost $1,000 more expensive than the iMac.

If you're interested in the exact math, feel free to PM me and I'll explain further.

DavidTO wrote:
    How do you figure that math?

20090806-j8m214yr4w4k59q6s9ddxatsyp.jpg
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,954 moderator
    edited August 7, 2009
    That price you're showing for the macbook pro is the base model, with the smallest screen and slowest processor. When I compared the models I actually wanted to buy, the laptop model came out almost $1,000 more expensive than the iMac.

If you're interested in the exact math, feel free to PM me and I'll explain further.

Another option worth considering is getting a laptop with a small screen and connecting it to a large external monitor when you are editing pics. ne_nau.gif