Urban Spelunking

boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
edited August 7, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
My first post to this forum.

I seem to have fallen into a project to photographically document the bowels of the old mill buildings in a neighboring city, Lawrence, MA. Long story, but basically the equipment I'm shooting will be removed, refurbished and (with luck) become exhibits in a mill museum being proposed. The photos will also be used in the mill project.

I thought I'd share some of the images and try to get some C&C.

1. Conveyor Belt Detail
612317972_S65FJ-XL.jpg

2. Conveyor Belt Motor Detail
612317850_g4axh-XL.jpg

3. Conveyor Belt Gears
612317539_AVYTh-XL.jpg

4. Generator Drive Chain Detail
605632809_Ux5rc-XL.jpg

5. Generator Gages
612319802_ShTFU-XL.jpg

6. Steam Engine (seriously)
613040775_wveCY-XL.jpg

7. Steam Engine Pressure Gage (i think)
613040646_vraou-XL.jpg

8. Steam Engine Detail
613041400_NF9Tk-XL.jpg

Comments

• whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Wow! :jawdrop

Such an amazing opportunity - congrats! This is some of the most unique work I've seen in a while. One of my favorites is #6 - reminds me of an octopus!
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Very cool. I think you need to get your flash either more diffused and/or off camera. You have a big hot-spot near the middle of #8, and to a lesser degree #6. I think having the light coming off-angle on #2 would also help make the lettering on the gear more readable. I love the composition in these, and the textures on the ceiling in #6 are very other-worldly. thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Thanks for the comments and tips. I didn't use flash on these. The steam engine and conveyor belt images were all long exposures. I put the shutter on bulb and light painted with a flashlight and small halogen head lamp. I agree on the hot spots on the steam engine. The room was tight. I was barely able to get the tripod set up. Once I did, I was locked in. When I go back I'll bring a friend to light from another angle.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Interesting project, and endless possibilities for great compositions. If you're documenting (as in archeology) I think I'd be looking for more contextual pictures (i.e. overall shots, wide-angle, showing juxtaposition of various bits of gear); perhaps the samples you posted are just of some "interesting bits".

It sounds like you didn't have much room to operate, and if you were lighting by hand, then there most probably wasn't too much light. Were you spelunking alone? That sounds somewhat dangerous, especially in an old building (and in Lawrence! eek7.gif )…

Keep us posted with other pics of the project.

Thanks for sharing! thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Technically I'm alone but I'm not unauthorized. Most of the buildings I'm shooting in have businesses operating in them, so I need permission. Basically, my guide is the person behind the museum project. You are correct, these are little bits and pieces.

There is documentation on what the equipment is, how it worked and how it fit into operations of the mills. I'm working on getting some of that documentation and plan to start a Photography Blog very soon to document my "spelunking" adventures, provide some details about the equipment I'm shooting and promote the museum project.

If all goes well, the museum will include 3D virtual models of much of the equipment, as well as a virtual tour of the city and mill building as they were around the turn of the 19th century.