As Beautiful As They Come

black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
edited August 12, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
613087840_HPJRM-XL.jpg

613087681_mX3bH-XL.jpg

613087543_ieP5v-XL.jpg
I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.

Comments

• eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited August 6, 2009
    Tom. Whenever you say something like "As Beautiful as They Come", I know you're talking about a Delahaye!

Right, you are! thumb.gifthumb.gif

Beautiful pictures of a beautiful car! Thank you!

By the by, there's a Delahaye in the Neterhcutt Collection in Sylmar, Ca. If you're ever in Southern California, I hignly recommend a visit. But, make a reservation at least a month in advance.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Hi Lee,

For my money, some of the best looking cars...and those exhibiting the most masterful coach work....came out of France in the late 20's and up until the mid 30's. The example in this picture was nothing short of breathtaking when seen " in person ". The overall design and execution of detail is just spectacular. I can't thank you enough for being instrumental in opening up my eyes to this genre of automobiles. My life is richer because of it.

Take care my friend,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Tis a beauty. Love the way the chrome is styled on the door. Nice pics. :D
    Michael
    edited August 8, 2009
    Hey Michael,

Thanks for your comment. Where have you been lately...haven't seen much from you...been doing any shooting at all?

Take care,

Tom
    edited August 8, 2009
    Glad to have been the one to introduce you to these fine vehicles, Tom.

Did you go to the link for the Netherctt? If you did, then you saw the beautiful Talbot-Lago 150C SS/Sport Coupe on the home page. When I went to the collection a couple of weekends ago, that very car was the first thing I saw when I entered the lobby. It is absolutely beautiful!

Let me know if you're ever in Southern California; I'll take you there.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
    edited August 8, 2009
    I did go to the website for the Nethercutt collection, Lee. That has got to be a real treat to visit. Several of their cars have appeared at the Amelia Island Concours over the years and each one was stunning.

I have a niece who lives in Santa Monica and I get out to see her now and then. I'll give you plenty of notice the next time I'm going out there so we can plan to hook up and share some of our passion for automobiles. Getting down to your neck of the woods will be no problem....I look forward to the occasion.

Tom
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    What a beautiful car in photo #3. Gotta ask tho...who paints their car purple? Sure wish I had that beautiful grass in my backyard :D
    edited August 9, 2009
    Hi Mary Kim,

That purple car with a blue top does seem out of place. I assume, though, that those colors were true to it's original paint scheme. At that class level of restoration, adhering to originality is pretty important.....but not an absolute mandate.

This show is held on an up-scale golf course, which is part of the Ritz-Carlton complex on Amelia Island, FL. You can bet that not a blade of grass is out of place.

Take care,

Tom
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Hey Michael,

Thanks for your comment. Where have you been lately...haven't seen much from you...been doing any shooting at all?

Take care,

Tom
    :D Hey Tom, I've been lurking around admiring all the nice photos being
    posted here. Have been taking photos. Just haven't had much time to do
    the PP let alone editing. Hopefully I can get back to posting some pics soon.
    My best to you,
    Michael
    Michael
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    That is really quite a magnificent automobile Tom - well captured. It's interesting how some real odd paint combinations look really cool on these old classics (like the purple & blue) in the background. I wonder if these colors were offered on the originals?

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Howdy Tom,

Another great outing, really love the images, and especially seeing the Beautiful clouds reflecting in the trunk of the second image.

Greats shots in what looked like tough lighting conditions.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
    edited August 10, 2009
    Hey Jack,

As I had mentioned to Mary Kim, I'm assuming that the colors on that purple car are correct. When doing these high-end restorations, most folks will stay with the original color....or at least stay with what is known as " period correct " colors. Apparently, though, more leeway is given to colors than to the actual mechanics of the car. But you are right, some of these cars sport colors that you would normally perceive as " odd " but that look OK on that particular car.

Take care,

Tom
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Well done Tom...... You have pictures of cars I didn't know existed ....... That one is beautiful..... azzaro
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Elegance just oozing from this automobile. Too bad we don't know how to build such beauty anymore.

Nice shots Tom, I would like to see more of that dash, any pics of that?
    Randy
    edited August 11, 2009
    Here's a 1930 Ruxton in the Grand Salon of the Nethercutt Collection.

1930Ruxton_20090052.jpg

The Nethercutt insists on absolute accuracy for every vehicle they restore, which accounts for the many Concours trophies they have on display alongside the cars themselves. They put many hours of research into each vehicle before and during the entire process, and that includes the colors. Taking that into consideration, it's easy to see how the colors on this car, albeit relatively new, can be exactly as they were the day the Ruxton was delivered to the original owner.

Oh! And I've seen a lavender Ruxton, too. Beautiful cars!

Tom, I'll take you up on going to the Nethercutt during one of your future trips out this way. thumb.gif

By the way, the white car you can barely see on the rear far left is their Delahaye.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

edited August 11, 2009
    Hey Craig,

Thanks for the comments. Sometimes the natural lighting at this show is tough to deal with. I'm usually faced with a bright, rising sun ( in the 9 to 10:30 range ) which creates stark shadows and very unevenly lit surfaces. On occasion, there's also a lingering sea fog / mist hanging around....this place is right on the ocean.... that can be a real problem by causing the photos to appear flat and washed -out.

Take care,

Tom
    edited August 11, 2009
    Hi Azzaro,

Thanks for looking in. A show of this magnitude will open just about anyone's eyes to a world of cars they didn't know existed....it can be quite an educational experience.

Tom
    edited August 11, 2009
    Hey Randy,

Laws of today, along with customer demands for convenience and comfort, preclude such autos from being made. The things I miss most are the individualality of design these cars brought to the market. There was a general aura of artistry about them that is long gone.

Sorry, I didn't get a good shot of the dash on this car. Wish I had.

Tom
    edited August 11, 2009
    Hi Lee,

Now that is one gorgeous car! The different shading in the bands of color on the sides is quite striking. I don't think I've ever seen that technique employed on a car of that genre before. Thanks for sharing this.

Tom
    edited August 12, 2009
    Randy,

This isn't the dassh to the car Tom photographed, but is from a car I had the opportunity to photograph at two different car shows. It's from about the same era as the car Tom photographed.

DelahayeDash0005.jpg
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

edited August 12, 2009
    Lee,

I've never seen those materials used on a dash before....and certainly not for a steering wheel. Most unusual, must be some kind of acrylic. Thanks for showing this picture.

Tom
    edited August 12, 2009
    My pleasure, Tom.

The book I have on Delahaye (Delahaye Styling and Design - Richard S. Adatto and Diane E. Meredith (with photography by Michael Furman)) has at least one other car (a 1948 model 135M) with these materials used as they are in this picture. It seems to have been unique to the house of designer Henri Chapron, as this car was also his design. Like you, I am also guessing it's some sort of plastic or acrylic (the book doesn't state) due to the small cracks you see in this picture.
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook