Time Taken Sort Not Working?

ronone10ronone10 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
edited August 8, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Loaded three galleries 2 days ago and noticed that the sequence of soccer shots are out of order. I go in and select Arrange, Sort and select 'time Taken' order and it correctly sorts the photos. I noticed yesterday that they are out of order. I do the same thing and it worked. Now today, the photos are out of order again. What's up? Am I doing something wrong?

Ron

Comments

• rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    ronone10 wrote:
    Loaded three galleries 2 days ago and noticed that the sequence of soccer shots are out of order. I go in and select Arrange, Sort and select 'time Taken' order and it correctly sorts the photos. I noticed yesterday that they are out of order. I do the same thing and it worked. Now today, the photos are out of order again. What's up? Am I doing something wrong?

Ron
    Hi Ron,

If you want galleries to be automatically arranged, set autosort in 'customize gallery' to the sort option of your choice. That would keep your photos arranged and would automatically arrange any new photos you upload.
    To get to the customize gallery screen, go to any gallery, click on 'Tools' button and you'll see the option in the 'this gallery' section.
    Read more about gallery settings here.

If you have any further questions, be sure to include a link to the gallery in question.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    I have a similar problem with images not being sorted correctly but I think I have figured out what the problem is. Actually it's not a problem, the images that are out of order all have the same "time taken" (to the second) because they are part of a burst at 10 FPS. They were all taken in the same second! :-( Therefore Smugmug doesn't know which one is first, second, etc.
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.
  • termina3termina3 Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    To avoid this in the future, either retain the original file names, or when you rename your files rename in the same order as the file names (not the "date taken," because that's based--as the above poster mentioned--on data only accurate to the second).

In Aperture, it's as easy and applying new files names with a counter on import. In Lightroom I assume there's a similar option.

Then, once the files are up, just sort by file name.
    Please don't mistake my blunt, pointed posts as my being "angry," "short," or "rude."

I'm generally happy, tall, and fuzzy on the inside.www.NickensPhotography.com