DLSR Sensor Cleaning

Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
edited June 27, 2005 in Cameras
Not sure how many of you are using DSLRs but one problem with many of these is dust getting on the sensor. This tends to show up especially in macro shots or sky shots where you have a brightish monocolour bacground when using small apertures.
My has been getting worse over the last few months and I attempted to give it the gentle blower technique which basically did nothing. This morning I followed the recommendations I read somewhere on the web which involves getting a flat fine nylon haired artists brush (about 1/2" wide") washing it thoroughly. Dry it and visually check it looks clean. Then using the cameras instructions for locking up the mirror hold the camera upside down, give the brush about 10 blows with your blower and then gently wipe the brush over the sensor about 3 to 4 times carefully going from edge to edge but not pressing hard.
The flow of air from the blower apparently charges the nylon brush hairs which then attract the dust off the sensor. Anyway result of doing mine was to go from approximately 30 specks down to one.
Obviously if you are nervous or worried about doing this then don't- send the camera away for cleaning.

Brian V.

Comments

• KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    I use the copperhill method and it works well.
  • John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Lots of info in the hall of wisdom here
  • blackwaterstudioblackwaterstudio Registered Users Posts: 779 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Copperhill also, just haven't had a chance to use it yet as it just got here Friday :)
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    I've used the copperhill method several times now. Once you get over the initial reluctance and anxiety, it is actually very easy and quite effective.
  • Mac WriteMac Write Registered Users Posts: 208 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    I bought Visible Dust brushes they worked like a champ (well since so much crap, I got it to two stops and haven't washed to brushes to finish the job). They suggest compressed air on the brushes and they do work very well.
    My Photos | Use this referral code and get $5 off your first year of Smugmug! PIKZSgEQUVtu2 or just click here
    Get busy living or get busy dying
    --Stephen King
  • Lord VetinariLord Vetinari Registered Users Posts: 15,901 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Re sensor brush
    Whoops- didn't see that other thread. The method I used is just a cheaper rip-off off the sensor brush method. ie there isn't really anything special about their brushes.
    Brian V.
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited June 27, 2005
    Whoops- didn't see that other thread. The method I used is just a cheaper rip-off off the sensor brush method. ie there isn't really anything special about their brushes.
    Brian V.
    The article you refer to details a process for getting a make-up brush to the
    point it can be used for cleaning a sensor. Those who've used it say it works
    just like a sensor brush.

As for the air, use a can of canned air (Dust Off is one product name) to get
    the bristles charged enough to get rid of the dust bunnies.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?