Options

Consensus on PS Elements 7, et al?

GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
edited August 9, 2009 in Finishing School
I have only been using PS Elements so far. It was affordable as a download at the time. I just downloaded a free trial of LR and played with that for awhile. So far, I hate it. Just for grins, I'd like to hear some opinions on Elements vs CS4, LR, Bibble Pro, etc., or any other editing software. What I'm looking for is ease of use and workflow. I don't want to have to get a degree in photo editing in order to use decent software. I really like Elements 7. I may just stick with that. :noob

Comments

• Options
    TangoJulietTangoJuliet Registered Users Posts: 269 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    I started with PSE 5.0 and recently upgraded to 7. I'm more of a Pro/Am (emphasis on Am), than a Pro, but for me it does all I need it to. I haven't used LR or any of the others, but I did spend a day with a Pro I know and watched what she does with CS3 (at the time). I think a lot depends on what type of work you're doing or intend to do. I could probably manage just fine with PSE 7 even if I was doing more Pro work, but that's my opinion.
  • Options
    MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    I'd be curious as to what problems or issues you had with LR/Bibble and what you were trying to accomplish with them. Both programs are designed around workflow, (categorizing, keywording, batch editing, etc.) whereas PSE7/CS4 are primarily image editors.

I started out with Bibble, got frustrated by the whole version 5 debacle, and, after vigorously testing my options (DXO, Silkypix, Aperture), settled on Lightroom as my workflow tool of choice, buoyed by external editors like PTlens, LightZone, etc.
  • Options
    SnowgirlSnowgirl Registered Users Posts: 2,155 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I use a combination of Elements 6 (I'm on a MAC, there is no 7 yet) for image editing, Bridge for downloading from my cards because I want separate file folders and it also offers instant back-up capability onto a separate hard drive, and Aperture.

I download via Bridge and back up.Then import into Aperture and use that to organize, group, batch edit if necessary, stack, key word and usually export directly to my SmugMug account. Individual images are edited in Elements. All in all a good set up for me - a developing Pro. Truthfully, I've never wanted to do anything that would have required the full PS.:D
    Creating visual and verbal images that resonate with you.
    http://www.imagesbyceci.com
    http://www.facebook.com/ImagesByCeci
    Picadilly, NB, Canada
  • Options
    TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    GoofBckt wrote:
    I have only been using PS Elements so far. It was affordable as a download at the time. I just downloaded a free trial of LR and played with that for awhile. So far, I hate it. Just for grins, I'd like to hear some opinions on Elements vs CS4, LR, Bibble Pro, etc., or any other editing software. What I'm looking for is ease of use and workflow. I don't want to have to get a degree in photo editing in order to use decent software. I really like Elements 7. I may just stick with that.

I have Photoshop CS4 and Elements 5.0. I primarily work in CS4 and have Elements because it came bundled with something else. For the average family snapshot or vacation pic, Elements is more than sufficient and will do basic adjustments. I can do more - much more - in CS4, but most family shots don't require more.

I do shoot exclusively RAW and upload using Bridge (part of CS4). I have Lightroom, and book by Kelby on using Lightroom, but I'm not up to speed with Lightroom and have little incentive to get there. CS4 works for me.

The time to think about jumping to CS4 is when you can't do what you want to do in Elements. Until you have that mindset, and a willingness to put in a lot of time learning specialized editing functions, stick with what works.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I began with Elements 3.0, then moved to 5.0. About 1 1/2 years ago I got CS3 and continued to use Elements 5.0 as my image catalog. Eventually, I got bogged down with it. Sorting through many photos became very slow and tedious. I was enjoying CS3, but Elements became an annoyance after awhile.
    Last year I got Lightroom. It was quite uncomfortable for me for awhile, so I kinda ignored it and kept limping along with what I was doing. But I was getting so frustrated with certain aspects of my workflow, so I knew I needed to really understand LR and give it a chance. I began using it for my catalog in February and worked through a lot of online tutorials to gain more understanding. In May, I attended a one-day LR workshop with Scott Kelby. I now wish I hadn't waited so long to really get into LR. I love it! And if at all possible, I stay out of CS3. Sorting and cataloging pictures is so much easier and faster now, and being able to copy settings from one photo onto as many others as I want saves me so much time.
    I really recommend giving it a thorough chance! thumb.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography