Brothers grad shot - more light challenges

TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
edited August 7, 2009 in People
The latest in a series of challenging environments was shooting 2 brothers that just graduated (one from high school and the other from college). Mom requested the shoot be on the beach in the bright afternoon sun. Am I a magnet for these shoots??? :scratch Add to the fact that it is sooooo uncool to stand on a 90-degree beach in a cap a gown with an audience of young, attractive sunbathers nearby added to the fun! :rofl

POV is intentional - may not work for some. I left a lot of space at the top to allow for 8x10 cropping if requested. C&C welcomed. Btw - the heartbreaker for me was that 2 hours later we had one of the prettiest sunsets that i have seen in some time. Thanks for looking!

608917649_5oZbA-L-1.jpg

Comments

• dstainerdstainer Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Beachy Feel
    I think you did a fine job with this given the conditions, and I’m sure the Mom will be happy. I like their expressions too.

From a PP standpoint, you may want to selectively “burn/darken” a few areas that are just a touch too bright IMHO, such as the light blue robe and some of the area around their shoulders (and some of the sky).

You may want to also consider experimenting with a vignette border burn in to darken the edges while drawing attention to your subjects. But you’d have to see how this looked before deciding if it’s the right choice. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>
    ~Dan<o:p></o:p>
  • TravisTravis Registered Users Posts: 1,472 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    dstainer wrote:
    I think you did a fine job with this given the conditions, and I’m sure the Mom will be happy. I like their expressions too.

From a PP standpoint, you may want to selectively “burn/darken” a few areas that are just a touch too bright IMHO, such as the light blue robe and some of the area around their shoulders (and some of the sky).

You may want to also consider experimenting with a vignette border burn in to darken the edges while drawing attention to your subjects. But you’d have to see how this looked before deciding if it’s the right choice. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    ~Dan<o:p></o:p>

Thank you Dan. I'll play around with the burning to see if I like it. I did add a vignette to it initially but finally opted to go without because I just couldn't hit an optimum opacity/strength/feather that I liked. Usually not a problem on most images but it just wasn't working for me on this one.