Which photo to enter in contest?

EricularEricular Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
edited August 8, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
OK, the small local newspaper is having a photo contest. No categories, no rules to speak of. The entries will be judged on "technical ability, creativity, composition, and overall impression of the photograph."

You can only enter one, and I just can't decide which one to enter. I would greatly appreciate all of your thoughts!

Thanks!

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Comments

• Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Hmm...#3 and especially 4 & 5 are kind of ordinary. I really like that #1 captures the rainbow and lightning together but honestly I didn't see the rainbow till I'd looked at the image several times. The house on the left in #1 is so bright it sort of captures the attention away from the sky. I think the sky in #2 is extraordinary but I'd like to see just a bit more detail in the dark areas of the foreground. If you go with #2 as is, I think you ought to clone away that sign.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Most of these shots are pretty interesting and I think you have a good chance in a local contest.

1. Very cool shot, those clouds coupled with lightning hold the eye. I'd clone out the real estate sign and use a mask to lighten the foreground. Crop in on the left by 5% too. This is one of my two faves.

2.Nice lightning but that's all. More to see in other shots.

3.This is pretty good, especially if you clone out that sign. The ultra-wide and the luminosity make it engaging. Crop from the left 5%.

4.I like this shot. The point of view is really engaging and the color rocks. Most newspaper love kid pix so I'd probably nominate this.

5. Nice heron, but because they sit still for a long while there are zillions of nice heron shots.

Good luck, you should be in the running.

M
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    I'd go with 2 or 3 (minus the sign). Nice captures!!!
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • captnemocaptnemo Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    I'd definetly go with #2, though I'd like to see the foreground lightened up just a touch.
  • happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    I would go number two, hands down. I might clone out the sign, but I didn't notice it until others pointed it out. I would leave the forground as is in regards to the lighting, only because I think brightening it would draw more attention to the forground and a detract from the expanse of sky and beautiful lightning shot.
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    I hope you don't mind, but I would go with this one.
    Sam
  • Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    I would cut out the sign and go with #1. It gives the eye so much.
    Steve

Website
  • EricularEricular Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    You guys are awesome. I love the composite photo too, Sam. :D I might just have to go with that one.
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Sorry for being brief... :D
    I'd pick #4 for the contest.
    Your other images are nice. For lightning images in
    this set I really like #2.
    Michael
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    #1 is the most "striking" for me. The clouds and bolts are more dramatic in #2, but I like the way the elements combine in the first one. There is a "wow" factor in play here.