Anybody hearing rumors of a new 1dMkIV?

Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
edited August 7, 2009 in Cameras
I really need better high ISO performance. I am shooting with 4 yr old technology (20d, 1dMkIIN). I love my 1dMkIIN to bits, but it will be indoor sport season soon. As y'all know, I shoot sports to fund more gear (vicious cycle isn't it!), and could justify the 5dMkII now. But if I thought there were a replacement for the 1dMkIIN with the high ISO performance, but the fast fps, on the horizon, I'd wait.

ann

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 7, 2009
    Here are the "announcement" dates for the Canon professional line of cameras, derived from DPReview data:

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III
    Announced Aug 20, 2007

Canon EOS-1D Mark III
    Announced Feb 22, 2007

Canon EOS-1D Mark II N
    Announced Aug 22, 2005

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II
    Announced Sep 21, 2004

Canon EOS-1D Mark II
    Announced Jan 29, 2004

Canon EOS-1Ds
    Announced Sep 24, 2002

Canon EOS-1D
    Announced Sep 25, 2001

It would appear that major* releases of the "1D" series professional sports camera bodies are released every 2 1/2 - 3 years, with the last announcement of the 1D MKIII in Feb 2007. If there is a trend here, no guarantees of course, that would mean an "announcement" could be coming by 3rd quarter 2009 through 1st quarter 2010. The actual release and production would follow some time later.

(*The 1D MKIIN was considered a "minor" release or "enhancement" to the 1D MKII.)
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    I really need better high ISO performance. I am shooting with 4 yr old technology (20d, 1dMkIIN). I love my 1dMkIIN to bits, but it will be indoor sport season soon. As y'all know, I shoot sports to fund more gear (vicious cycle isn't it!), and could justify the 5dMkII now. But if I thought there were a replacement for the 1dMkIIN with the high ISO performance, but the fast fps, on the horizon, I'd wait.

ann
    Ann, it's been said many times and I'd like to say it again: 5D2 is *not* a sport's camera. I mean, sure, you can use it if you have no other alternative, but you'll be fighting it alot...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • rookieshooterrookieshooter Registered Users Posts: 539 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Just get a D3 and be done with it :P
  • kini62kini62 Registered Users Posts: 441 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    Ann McRae wrote:
    But if I thought there were a replacement for the 1dMkIIN with the high ISO performance, but the fast fps, on the horizon, I'd wait.
    ann

Why wait? It's been out for about 2 years already. 1DMkIII ne_nau.gif

Gene