Options

I'd like some tips for landscape post processing

SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
edited August 12, 2009 in Finishing School
I know it's a generic question.. but there is always a distinct difference between landscape shots that are good and bad other than composition and that is in the Post Processing. I always feel like I know what mine to turn out like.. but I keep doing things to them until I think I go in the wrong direction. What is a good work-flow for TAKING AND editing landscape pictures.. Starting with taking the actual picture. I have a Cokin filter I use but what is everyone elses set up and all for taking landscape photos and then your PP techniques. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited August 7, 2009
    My suggestion -- get Scott Kelby's book -- Seven Point Systems or something like that (assuming you have PS)

Most images need a bit of pop

It also helps to list sample photos and what software you are using.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 7, 2009
    Jon.

Let us know a little about your image editing skills and software, and what you want to accomplish.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited August 11, 2009
    sorry i'm just responding been on vacation.. here's an example of a picture I took while i was in Florida. Where did I go wrong or where could I improve the quality of this picture?

615449609_eML5U-L.jpg
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    I am no expert, but i would make a small curves adjustment bringing the near whites down a bit and then adjust the lower part of the curve, about a third of the way up the hill to darken the midtones a touch. This would give it a bit more pop without messing with the saturation or contrast.
  • Options
    jjbongjjbong Registered Users Posts: 244 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    I assume this is your fixed shoot.

That said, several (to me, bad) things jump out: the blown-out yellows in the sky and the blue sand. It's hard to comment on your approach without seeing the original.
    John Bongiovanni
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited August 12, 2009
    I agree that the sand color seems off, but I like skies like this thumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin