#30: Maybe

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited August 8, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well, well, well. We got a last-minute invite to go hear a friend's zydeco band at a local outdoor venue, so we trundled on down for an impromptu evening.

By my own standards, I consider most of the shots I got candids or action photos and only one of these is really a posed portrait, and because I was using the 200mm I'm not sure I stopped down enough for it to work (sort of hoist by my own bokeh - oops! First time I've EVER had "too much" bokeh ... :rofl). The other two might just squeak into the definition if we don't look too hard :rofl

These are quick early edits just to see reactions. I still don't feel I've nailed this, but it's wot I gotz, so I figured it couldn't hurt to see what people thought.....

"My dad's the drummer"
(True - she's a friend of my daughter's, which is how we know the band)
613599288_mnrnb-M.jpg

Then either of these under the title, "Summer Concert"

613600324_QfYay-M.jpg

613599914_wzJAo-M.jpg

Comments

• MarkRMarkR Registered Users Posts: 2,099 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    #1 is no good. She's in an environment, but it doesn't really feel like her environment. Sorry.

I really like the guy's expression in #3, but I like the background better in #2.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    MarkR wrote:
    #1 is no good. She's in an environment, but it doesn't really feel like her environment. Sorry.

I really like the guy's expression in #3, but I like the background better in #2.

Sadly, I agree with you, particularly about #1 - I had seconds to grab those, due to other people milling around/trees/etc I couldn't frame it the way I wanted, the light was SWEET but going down fast, and then like a total EEJIT I forgot that with the 200mm lens decent DOF means more like 5.6+ rather than 4+ (I think this one was at f4). Her dad is the red blob in the bg, btw, and the golden blobs are the cymbals on the drum set (we were standing behind the band at this point) - I'm not entirely sure it's clear!!!!

The other two shots are nice enough gig shots, I just don't really feel that they're "portraits". So, my last-ditch effort last night was worthy, but I still don't really feel like I've got anything. Harumph. rolleyes1.gifD