Jerry Uselman way of shooting?

Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
edited November 26, 2009 in Technique
Hello everyone!

Ok I got permission from my teacher to shoot indoors for this coming winter and I've decided to go the Jerry Uselman way of shooting with Darkroom Enlargers and models.

Anyways I'm going to build a diorama with miniature tractors, and buildings.

What's the best way to hide the plasticness of the model base?

I was thinking one of those Halloween dry ice machines you can buy a party supplies store!

Would that work?

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Who is Jerry Uselman and what is his way of shooting?

There is a photographer by that name, but I can't find any of his work. There is also a very famous photographer named Jerry Uelsmann who makes composite photographs. I dunno about him and tractors and diaramas, though.

Can you furnish a link to something that shows what you want to do?
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • Chile ChefChile Chef Registered Users Posts: 473 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    I did mean http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&safe=off&ei=q5x9SpPJOoikMPaUtO4C&resnum=0&q=jerry+Uelsmann&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=rpx9SofOOZS0NsHX0dkC&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1

Jerry Uelsmann
    http://www.uelsmann.com/

He said he took mini models and built them then shot them with lights and so on!

I was thinking about following his example for my class in the winter time!
  • pieddecorbeaupieddecorbeau Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2009
    www.uelsmann.net
    Chile Chef wrote:
    Hello everyone!

Ok I got permission from my teacher to shoot indoors for this coming winter and I've decided to go the Jerry Uselman way of shooting with Darkroom Enlargers and models.

Anyways I'm going to build a diorama with miniature tractors, and buildings.

What's the best way to hide the plasticness of the model base?

I was thinking one of those Halloween dry ice machines you can buy a party supplies store!

Would that work?

If you go to his web-site there is a good set of his end product, but no discussion of the multiple enlargers that he uses as he moves the paper from one to another to apply the image that he is adding. It is rather like multiple layers of photoshop but he uses masks on the negative and print.
    His wife uses photoshop. Good luck. pieddecorbeau
  • pieddecorbeaupieddecorbeau Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2009
    www.uelsmann.net
    TonyCooper wrote:
    Who is Jerry Uselman and what is his way of shooting?

There is a photographer by that name, but I can't find any of his work. There is also a very famous photographer named Jerry Uelsmann who makes composite photographs. I dunno about him and tractors and diaramas, though.

Can you furnish a link to something that shows what you want to do?

I am not sure whether there is anything on the site that explains his technique, but he uses multiple enlargers to project portions of the final image onto the paper that he moves from one enlarger to another with masks appllied to the negative or print area. pieddecorbeau