Shanghai Street - Wednesday evening

michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in Street and Documentary
For some reason these shots made me think of the term Chiaroscuro. Late evening last Wednesday in Shanghai. Looking for insight and critique, especially on low light situations.

1)
613848128_9yKM8-XL.jpg

2)
613847016_tPR5q-L.jpg

Comments

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Very nice. I really like the lines in this shot (prefer the vertical version, no distractions)

thumb.gif

Out of curiosity ... (looking at your nickname) ... are you from Switzerland / living abroad?
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Agnieszka wrote:
    Very nice. I really like the lines in this shot (prefer the vertical version, no distractions)

thumb.gif

Out of curiosity ... (looking at your nickname) ... are you from Switzerland / living abroad?

Thanks. I prefer the vertical version as well. I lived in Switzerland for a long while. It's a second home for me. Many, many friends there.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 8, 2009
    very interesting shot. I think you'd have to tweak greater contrast to achieve more of the "chiaroscuro" look.

I prefer the landscape orientation but prefer not to have the strolling woman in the background. You could do an overlay mask to remove her.

nice job thumb.gif

• AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    Thanks. I prefer the vertical version as well. I lived in Switzerland for a long while. It's a second home for me. Many, many friends there.

Oh, was just wondering ... I grew up in Switzerland. Born in Poland, but spend most of my life in Swiss'land. thumb.gif
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    For some reason these shots made me think of the term Chiaroscuro. Late evening last Wednesday in Shanghai. Looking for insight and critique, especially on low light situations.

Two, definitely two. Far richer, far more balanced. Nice image!clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed