shooting a parachute jumper - help!

lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
edited August 8, 2009 in Technique
I'm shooting a friend jumping out of a plane today (rather her than me :huh )
and now I'm panicking. I usually shoot on apature priority? but suddenly nothing makes sense. I'ts going to be bright blue sky, bright sunlight, shooting at around 2.30pm. I'm wondering now if I should play safe and go to Adep... or even fully auto... oh no.. not that. or should I stay with my original thought... something around f8 or 9 with a fast shutter speed... thought of taking my exposure compensation down a stop.. what say you. :dunno Help?

Comments

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 8, 2009
    Spot meter maybe?

To be honest , Lynn, I shot my parachuters with Evaluative metering in Av mode with a 10D in 2003 - millennia ago in digital years - probably even as jpgs, but I can't swear to that

I have more here from 2007 with a 40D, also shot in Evaluative metering in Av mode as that is my usual shooting preference. The black dressed parachutist were shot in Av with 0 EC, but I adjust my EC as needed on the fly

I don't recall that shooting parachitists was that different from shooting airplanes in the sky - they go form sunlight to shade very easily and you need to keep this is mind if you want to shoot in Manual Mode. Manual mode is great for exposure consistency from frame to frame as long as they are sunlit or shaded, but you need to watch for when they go from sun to shade of course, which is why I prefer Av for this task. The frames from 2007 were caught in RAW.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    This sounds like fun! The hard part will be during free fall. The wind will want to rip the camera out of your hand, but once the chute is open you will be able to shoot away with out any problems.

I would have a padded bag to stuff the camera in before hitting the ground.

The only camera I have used for this was a old brownie box camera. The quality of a DLSR would be fantastic.

Sam
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Spot meter maybe?

To be honest , Lynn, I shot my parachuters with Evaluative metering in Av mode with a 10D in 2003 - millennia ago in digital years - probably even as jpgs, but I can't swear to that

I have more here from 2007 with a 40D, also shot in Evaluative metering in Av mode as that is my usual shooting preference. The black dressed parachutist were shot in Av with 0 EC, but I adjust my EC as needed on the fly

I don't recall that shooting parachitists was that different from shooting airplanes in the sky - they go form sunlight to shade very easily and you need to keep this is mind if you want to shoot in Manual Mode. Manual mode is great for exposure consistency from frame to frame as long as they are sunlit or shaded, but you need to watch for when they go from sun to shade of course, which is why I prefer Av for this task. The frames from 2007 were caught in RAW.
    Thanks Path.. love those airplane shots!!!! this should be interesting.. it's her face I'm trying to get... hard when she's coming down bum first :)
    Anyhow.. we'll see what happens.. I'll shoot the way you did, and I usually do AV and hope. I'll be shooting in raw with my 50D and my 18 to 200 lens.
    Thanks for the hint on shade. I'll let you know what happens mwink.gif
    edited August 8, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    This sounds like fun! The hard part will be during free fall. The wind will want to rip the camera out of your hand, but once the chute is open you will be able to shoot away with out any problems.

I would have a padded bag to stuff the camera in before hitting the ground.

The only camera I have used for this was a old brownie box camera. The quality of a DLSR would be fantastic.

Sam
    Sam darling... there is no way I"ll be falling from anywhere!!! SHE'S the one falling... I'm on the ground.. but, now you've made ME want to get those free fall shots rolleyes1.gif S'like when I went up in a helicopter with no doors leaning sideways... I was terrified until I started to shoot, then I forgot everything but the shot :D

p.s. wish you were here Sam then you could take my 50D and jump :) I'd let ya...
  • SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Lynnma,

First if your going to forget everything when your shooting, it's probably best you don't jump. :D

I would definitely take you up on borrowing the 50D.

Sam
    edited August 8, 2009
    Sam wrote:
    Lynnma,

First if your going to forget everything when your shooting, it's probably best you don't jump. :D

I would definitely take you up on borrowing the 50D.

Sam

good thought Sam... rolleyes1.gif

p.s. I had a Brownie once thumb.gif
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 8, 2009
    Lynn,

You may find an 18-200 rather short for your intended purpose. if your desire is to see her face..... Can you stand near near where she is intending to land? If you can, 200 may be long enough.

I shoot airshows with a Tamron 200-500 frequently, and I am sure that is what I used in 2007. You might see if you can borrow a longer glass somewhere. Just a thought.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Sam...

This is what you use to take pictures of people skydiving.

515374428_onqip-L.jpg

That is a 5d2 with a 24mm L lens? on it. Something to that effect anyways... He of course also has a camcorder attached to his helmet.

Here is a sample of when a skydiver lands nearby.. Shutter priority (1/1000) with a +2/3 exposure compensation.

515854679_BBJeg-L.jpg

This is what freefall at 3500 feet (I think) looks like at 200mm. BTW she should be falling face first. Takes lots of practice to fall butt first, safely.

515906830_urewb-L.jpg

If she is new and jumping solo then do not get too close to where she is landing, she will not have that much control so unlikely you can be that close anyways. If allowed get out to the landing area, just watch for falling people.
    This was typical picture of a first timer from my day out.

516076527_eGd4U-L.jpg

And finally if you get lucky you can get a nice picture of the canopy falling behind them while they pose for you.

516075066_LZC5b-L.jpg

For lots more head to my gallery

http://tag-photos.smugmug.com/Sports/764433

There you will also find all the shots I did that day straight from the camera. This could let you see what you get from different modes, exposure compensation, etc...

Hope this helps.
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    I recently shot some jumpers at their landing site (all in jpg unfortunately), but they came out fairly good. I shot strictly shutter priority. Take a look and see what you think. Someone suggested a longer lens and I would also recommend that. I used a 70-200mm f4 L for these. The different colors of the canopy's made for interesting hue adjustments at times. :)
    http://carriekitley.smugmug.com/gallery/8717783_RD7wA#576286731_S9CT7

Carrie
    lynnma wrote:
    I'm shooting a friend jumping out of a plane today (rather her than me eek7.gif )
    and now I'm panicking. I usually shoot on apature priority? but suddenly nothing makes sense. I'ts going to be bright blue sky, bright sunlight, shooting at around 2.30pm. I'm wondering now if I should play safe and go to Adep... or even fully auto... oh no.. not that. or should I stay with my original thought... something around f8 or 9 with a fast shutter speed... thought of taking my exposure compensation down a stop.. what say you. ne_nau.gif Help?
  • GoofBcktGoofBckt Registered Users Posts: 481 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    P.S. I did not make any PS adjustments to make the sky bluer, by the way. It was a beautiful day. :)
    lynnma wrote:
    I'm shooting a friend jumping out of a plane today (rather her than me eek7.gif )
    and now I'm panicking. I usually shoot on apature priority? but suddenly nothing makes sense. I'ts going to be bright blue sky, bright sunlight, shooting at around 2.30pm. I'm wondering now if I should play safe and go to Adep... or even fully auto... oh no.. not that. or should I stay with my original thought... something around f8 or 9 with a fast shutter speed... thought of taking my exposure compensation down a stop.. what say you. ne_nau.gif Help?