Sometimes I feel like an ANT

Desert DaveDesert Dave Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited August 8, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I've got to admit I'm a little intimidated to even post a photo comparing to all the pro level shots around here, so I mostly lurk, but thought I'd share this and am interested in what you guys think.

I was sitting on the edge of a rock in the high sierras enjoying a wonderful view of where a river cuts a canyon right through it and just trying to take in all the scenery around me. Places like this make me feel so small as I marvel at what surrounds me. I had already taken quite a few photos to try an capture the feeling, but I can never seem to do it justice. After I was done shooting I just sat there enjoying the cool breeze and listening to the rush of the water below, so content. Then I happened to notice this little fella right next to me doing the same thing, well he was probably looking for food, but I really think he might have just been enjoying it to :D. Watching him for a moment it occured to me that's what I feel like out here, just a tiny ant on a rock, an this picture captures my feelings better than any scenic photo did.

556024967_nmWLd-XL.jpg

Comments

• Bud1880Bud1880 Registered Users Posts: 500 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Nicely done! thumb.gif The picture and the story. Like it.

Bud
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Nice, nice, nice. Great shot! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    I iloveyou.gif this photograph and story line. I was refreshingly surprised by it
    when I first took it in. Haven't really seen a picture quite like this one.
    Nice sharp detail on the ant. Nice use of DOF. Nice natural color.

The ant truly looks as though he is just "taking in the view".

Well done. thumb.gif
    Michael
  • rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    If you look closely, you might notice that it has a small p & s and thinking how places like this make it feel so small...

This is a tremendous capture! You need not feel intimidated about posting with shots like this!
  • jpcjpc Registered Users Posts: 840 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    This is one of the most powerful photographs I have ever seen.

Genius.
  • eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    I would say that you have no reason not to post. This is a great, fun photo. I got a good laugh when I finally scrolled down (after reading your narative) and saw the ant. I love this shot! Keep 'em coming! thumb.gifthumb.gif
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Howdy,

What a great perspective you've presented Us with and love the shot all around.

Very nicely done, look forward to seeing more of your images.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Desert DaveDesert Dave Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    rainbow wrote:
    If you look closely, you might notice that it has a small p & s and thinking how places like this make it feel so small...

lol3.gif Now that's funny, but in my imagination it went something like that!

Thanks so much for the kind words all of you! (you guys aren't just trying to be nice are you?:D) It really does mean a lot to me to hear that my photo brought a moment of joy to someone else. I was wondering if others would "get it" an I guess you do. Glad you guys enjoyed the story that inspired the photo, that moment out there on the rock is a memory that will stick with me.

I don't really have the time I'd like to devote to photography as other hobbies consume far more of my attention, but I'm slowly getting there. I'm finally getting to the point where some of the photos come out just like I envision while in the field ( most still don't) and this one nailed what I was after just like I saw it in my head. Daddy-O commented on the DOF (I had to think about the acronym for a minute) that's something I've been experimenting with lately as it seems like a powerful tool to be able to use. All the great macro photography on this site has helped inspire me to try some stuff like this. Now if I could just get the other crazy ideas in my head to turn out............
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    thumb.gif Very creative.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 8, 2009