Fly on a Leaf - Using Ziggy's Post Processing

redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
edited August 11, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Would love some C&C on this one. I thought of entering it in the "Trees" mini-challenge, but to me it is more about leaves than trees. It was shot in Raw, with a 70-300 Nikkor zoom, at 300mm, auto exposure at 1/160 and f5.6. PP was something experimental:

1. Copied Background layer (first changed BG to Layer 1) and did minor Levels adjustment
2. Applied high pass filter at about 45
3. erased part of leaf with fly, including fly
4. Changed high pass layer to Luminosity at 46% opacity
5. Copied Layer 1 and moved to top of stack
6. Changed Layer 1 to Multiply at 57% opacity

1. "Flyleaves"
614084126_YBtcQ-L.jpg
"But ask the animals, and they will teach you." (Job 12:7)

Lauren Blackwell
www.redleashphoto.com

Comments

• TonyCooperTonyCooper Registered Users Posts: 2,276 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    I don't find the photo to be all that interesting. I don't find anything to focus on and say "That's what she photographed". You have some nice, sharp brown leaves in the foreground, a leaf in the midground that is both in and out of focus, and an out-of-focus fly. The background, especially in the upper left corner, is distracting.

I am, though, always interested in new Photoshop treatments. Not being able to see the original, I can't tell what those steps did to the image.

Hope you don't mind critical C&C. You've posted some very nice stuff in the past, but not everything's a keeper.
    Tony Cooper - Orlando, Florida
    http://tonycooper.smugmug.com/
  • redleashredleash Registered Users Posts: 3,840 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Hi Tony-

I don't mind your C&C at all--it helps me learn. I think I was attracted by the colors in the middle leaf so maybe I saw more in the image than there really is. I knew much of it was out of focus and I tried to use the PP to enhance the in-focus part of the center leaf. Not much I could do with the fly. As you say, not all shots are keepers. Thanks for your nice comment about my other work.

FWIW, here is the original shot.

614411294_syhP5-L.jpg

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    HI Lauren...
    A couple of thoughts on your pic.
    1. I would crop it on the left side and the top to get rid of the distraction in the left corner. And I think a tighter crop would help out your center of interest.

2. Look at your histogram it shows that it is a little dark.. If you would lighten it, the center of interest would stand out more.

3. I would PP it so the leaf and fly stand out and says this is my center of interest.

4. I would use a different PP.

I wouldn't give up on it just yet....... azzaro
    edited August 9, 2009
    Thanks, Azzaro! I will give it another try and see how it turns out. I have soooo many shots to work on . . . I'm about ready to dump 90% of them and start over! :cry

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Is this the only shot you have of this? The fly is out of focus. Your focus point is the front of the leaf and the depth of field isn't large enough to include the fly. The eye is always going to go to the leaf and not the fly. That's the fundamental problem with this image. If you took multiple shots, perhaps you have one where the fly is in focus.
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
    edited August 11, 2009
    Thanks, Jeff - No other shot, this is the only one. I think I will move on to other shots that should be more appealing.

Lauren

Lauren Blackwell
    www.redleashphoto.com