First DigGrin Post! Family Shoot C&C WANTED!

asdesignsasdesigns Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited August 10, 2009 in People
Hey everyone! This is my first post with Digital Grin. I was just wanting opinions with a family portrait session that i recently shot. C&C is greatly appreciated! :bow
I have just started out in the digital photography realm, as I have mostly been into graphic design my entire life. I am hoping to get some critique out of my photo skills so I can improve and make a name for my self in the St. Louis area (if possible :P)

Thanks! :D

613198828_kDtVd-L.jpg

613201889_L5RxN-L.jpg

613194481_ye49p-L.jpg

613206369_efwVa-L.jpg

613191442_rfdjt-L.jpg

613190434_hnv9p-L.jpg

613207346_aaptj-L.jpg

613199815_qnPjV-L.jpg
AS-Designs ~ Adam Sassatelli ~ www.asdesignsphotography.com

Comments

• blaser321blaser321 Registered Users Posts: 201 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Love pictures but maybe to much B/W with color use like
    #1 bow only or eyes
    2 is good
    4 is my favorite
    6 is to blown out
    and the last one is cute
    next time number them it makes it easer
    5D mark II, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L IS
    EF 2.0x II extender BG-E6
  • afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    #1 the eyes are over processed and the selective coloring doesn't look real here...I think on some of the shots the selective coloring would work if you desaturated it by several steps....I'm betting shot 1 could stand on it's own in color, as it really is a sweet shot. Some would dink you on the fingers being cut off, but I personally don't care since her smile and eyes are so delightful.

3 had interesting processing but the family has their eyes almost shut, I'm guessing due to the bright sun..may want to consider shooting earlier in the day or later closer to evening since it's summer.

On the second family shot your whites are blown, but wow, look at that little girl---she is precious.

I love the cropping on your final shot, but there is something creepy happening with her eyes...The color version may not have that

Next time number your shots when you post them--I'm old and lazy.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    WELCOME to Dgrin!!!:D

The selective coloring, in my opinion, appears gimmicky and cheapens photographs that are otherwise good.

Let them be about the subject, and not about the processing.thumb.gif
  • asdesignsasdesigns Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    WELCOME to Dgrin!!!:D

The selective coloring, in my opinion, appears gimmicky and cheapens photographs that are otherwise good.

Let them be about the subject, and not about the processing.thumb.gif

Thanks!!!! bowdown.gif
    I actually do multiple variations of each picture with different processing, to leave the creative decision up to my clients tastes. I agree though, that too much selective coloring, makes the images look childish.

Thank you everyone for your C&C...i really appreciate it! clap.gifthumb.gif
  • ontherivetontherivet Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I'll share the thoughts on the selective coloring, it really detracted from some great subjects. If you must do selective coloring it should highlight the subject of the photo and not serve solely as a post-processing gimmick. In the images where it's used the viewer is unfortunately drawn to the girls bow and the boy's shirt and away from the kids themselves.
  • pwppwp Registered Users Posts: 230 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I have to agree that the selective colouring is just not my cup of tea. I only use selective color when the client requests it specifically for a specific shot, usually brides with the bouquet, or maternity/newborn clients. I think the family will be pleased with these shots without the colouring. Even though it is a little hot, I think #2 is my favorite.
    ~Ang~
    My Site
    Proud Photog for The Littlest Heroes Project and Operation: LoveReunited
    Lovin' my Canon 5D Mark II!
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 9, 2009
    Welcome to Dgrin, Adam. wave.gif. These are nice pics, but I agree with the others that the selective coloring is not adding anything. My impression is that most photographers don't care for it, though many of their clients do. Go figure. If you are going to use it, though, you should consider very carefully what you are trying to accomplish artistically. It is so easy to do in PS that it tends to be abused, IMO.
  • asdesignsasdesigns Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    Welcome to Dgrin, Adam. wave.gif. These are nice pics, but I agree with the others that the selective coloring is not adding anything. My impression is that most photographers don't care for it, though many of their clients do. Go figure. If you are going to use it, though, you should consider very carefully what you are trying to accomplish artistically. It is so easy to do in PS that it tends to be abused, IMO.

Thank you all for your feedback on selective coloring. I usually give my clients options of black and white/color/and selective color for their photos. This particular family has this going in a teal room (dont ask me who paints walls teal) :D but ya, so i did alot of teal coloring.

Anyways thanks for the feedback.

~AS
  • PhotosbychuckPhotosbychuck Registered Users Posts: 1,239 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    My fav is #3

I had two red X's so guess two photos had load problems.

Welcome to dgrin!
    D300S, 18-200mm VR, 70-300mm VR

Aperture Focus Photography
    http://aperturefocus.com
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 9, 2009
    First of all welcome!

Nice first post. I like the composition and the overall feel of your work. Smiles make it clear you connected with your clients.

As others have suggested, the selective color isn't really working here. Perhaps it's because the color is a light blue? Selective color is hard to get right. Picking the right color and the right item to selectively color is a real challenge.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Have to agree with the others on selective coloring. I will compliment you on the photographs themselves, particularly the little girl. You did a good job of capturing the personality of the children. Looks like the little was perfectly at ease with you and it showed through in the photographs. She is adorable and you captured that very well. Little guy too but is is not as candid as she is so really hard to compare the too. Group shots really did little for me.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires