A Beautiful Snag Overlooking a Point

EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
edited August 10, 2009 in Landscapes
Everywhere we went we saw 'snags'. It was hard to find a clear area..so it is what it is but ... Is this snag too distracting (dead tree in the center left by fire that has not fell). Suggestions appreciated.
612251010_GK8pF-XL.jpg

Comments

• DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Landscape has what natures leaves behind. And for some reason the dead trees still want to stay standing. I like that. It adds to the photo from my perspective.

The horizon looks alittle tilted, but when in the mountain areas they naturally are...are we supposed to straighten those??? I ask that because I really don't know if we are or not.

I like how you caught the moon in this photo along with the contrast of rock, lush green and dead trees thumb.gif
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    What a beautiful setting. for me I almost feel that if you didn't have the foreground rocks in the photo and your were instead up closer to the dead trees with a couple of rocks it might have been a stronger compo. Then again you might have broken your neck trying to do that so great job as is!

Oh and way to throw the moon in as a bonus.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Fantastic shot, Eia! I love that little moon and the lighting is just scrumptious! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • EiaEia Registered Users Posts: 3,627 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Landscape has what natures leaves behind. And for some reason the dead trees still want to stay standing. I like that. It adds to the photo from my perspective.

The horizon looks alittle tilted, but when in the mountain areas they naturally are...are we supposed to straighten those??? I ask that because I really don't know if we are or not.

I like how you caught the moon in this photo along with the contrast of rock, lush green and dead trees thumb.gif

yes the horizon looks tilted. Like you mentioned...the eternal question...to straiten or leave ala natural. I chose to leave this one natural. Thanks for the comment!
    edited August 9, 2009
    Doug Solis wrote:
    What a beautiful setting. for me I almost feel that if you didn't have the foreground rocks in the photo and your were instead up closer to the dead trees with a couple of rocks it might have been a stronger compo. Then again you might have broken your neck trying to do that so great job as is!

Oh and way to throw the moon in as a bonus.

I have a few where I am really very close to the edge. This one however, I could not get across the divide to that outer ledge. It drops off pretty steep just before the rock. Yea, I liked that moon! thanks for commenting.
    edited August 9, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Fantastic shot, Eia! I love that little moon and the lighting is just scrumptious! thumb.gif

The lighting was getting perfect and I hope to get back to stay longer! Thanks for the comment!
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    you call them snags, we call them Nags... haha or "Oldnags"

I think putting this snag center or even a little to the right wasnt so good, not with how it pulls from the FG imo, and its leaning to the right also, so maybe it would have been better to keep the Snag a little more in the left side of frame?
    the horizon?, you choose to keep it sooc because it reminds you of being out there and breathing hard from the climb and looking for a spare oxygen tank laying around..(well thats what im always doing anyway:D ) so why do you choose to keep it tilted?
    fwiw, when the horizon is off some people just fall off the image... so its my opinion to always fix that....
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 10, 2009
    you call them snags, we call them Nags... haha or "Oldnags"

I think putting this snag center or even a little to the right wasnt so good, not with how it pulls from the FG imo, and its leaning to the right also, so maybe it would have been better to keep the Snag a little more in the left side of frame?
    the horizon?, you choose to keep it sooc because it reminds you of being out there and breathing hard from the climb and looking for a spare oxygen tank laying around..(well thats what im always doing anyway:D ) so why do you choose to keep it tilted?
    fwiw, when the horizon is off some people just fall off the image... so its my opinion to always fix that....

Hey, thank you very much for these suggestions and reminders! No oxygen needed...because I almost passed out! :D
    This is the preceding picture; snag to the left, strait horizon. I loose the rocks though even if i crop the right tree. I am also standing a different level rock.
    612709443_ocz52-XL.jpg

Here is the original re-worked with strait horizon. I did clone out the snag in another but it seemed to lose something.

615911656_oFcAy-XL.jpg