Early dawn over the Southern Downs

PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
edited August 10, 2009 in Landscapes
Blade (my dog) and I got up early this morning to capture the magic moments as the suns rays illuminate the upper atmosphere but the sun remains below the horizon.
I set up the camera on the tripod checked the exposure and took two shots of the sky as the first rays were breaking through. This was the test shot to make sure all was well with the set up. The two images were merged into a panorama as below.

613953262_ATkBk-XL.jpg
http://peterd-2009.smugmug.com/gallery/9023853_3A22f/1/#613953262_ATkBk-A-LB

Having established the set up worked, all I had to do was wait. What I was looking for was the point at which the sky was brightened by the sunlight but before the sun actually broke the horizon. This was to capture the spectrum of colours formed by scattered light in the upper atmosphere but before the sun rose to obliterate the colours. 5 minutes later, the time arrived and below is the result.
614148149_6uPuJ-XL.jpg
http://peterd-2009.smugmug.com/gallery/9023853_3A22f/1/#614148149_6uPuJ-A-LB

I had to include my dog in this. he just sat there staring at the sky. A bit of bad planning put him in both images that were merged. Dangerous I know but the fact that he is not blurred is witness to the fact he was perfectly still throughout.

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Nice, Peter! I'm a dog lover, so the 2nd shot really works for me. thumb.gif Maybe you should have included all of him? :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • ridgemacridgemac Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Love including the dog
    The colors are really nice! I think adding your dog in the foreground is a great touch.
    Now if I could just get my little dachshund to stop wagging his tail long enough .... but then maybe the blur motion of his tail would be good.
    Larry
  • PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Thank you Mahesh and Larry. I like to experiment and was generally pleased with this result. What triggered me off was my previous landscape at dawn on a stormy day. Someone said they had not seen yellows and, come to think of it, neither had I. I just wanted to prove to myself that this colour was visible as a normal event.
    Perhaps someone can help explain the shape of the advancing light from the sun. It is an oval. My thoughts are that this is what happens as the direct sunlight hits the upper atmosphere and is bent. But it would be nice to hear the opinions of others.
    Had a preview of both of your galleries and must say I am impressed with what I sawthumb.gif . It is good to share.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Aw, that is so cute that your dog is just as entranced by the beautiful sunrise as we are. :D

That is one gorgeous sunrise and I don't blame you for shooting it! I hope that we can see more of them, if you're so inclined to be an early riser. thumb.gif
  • PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Aw, that is so cute that your dog is just as entranced by the beautiful sunrise as we are. :D

That is one gorgeous sunrise and I don't blame you for shooting it! I hope that we can see more of them, if you're so inclined to be an early riser. thumb.gif

Thanks for your comments and for viewing. Blade (my dog) has been trying to get me up at first light since this trip. Do you think he is trying to tell me somethingrolleyes1.gif:D . It's a shame we do not have the dramatic mountain scenes that you have over there, Wouldn't it be great to have these lights surrounding a mountain peak. Perhaps someone from across the pond will tryclap.gif .
    Now there is a challengethumb.gif