Options

Sorting Keyword Virtual Galleries

digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
edited June 26, 2005 in SmugMug Support
Now that I've had my eyes opened to keywords I have been experimenting with them as virtual galleries, using the format:

www.yourname.smugmug.com/keyword/word1

I sort my regular galleries by file name, which happens to keep them in chronological order. When I use a keyword to select basically a single gallery, it just happens to come out in reverse order.

It would be a neat feature if you could add a tag to the above keyword selection to force a particular sort order (date, filename, etc.)

Brad

Comments

• Options
    AJ WeinsteinAJ Weinstein Registered Users Posts: 4 Beginner grinner
    edited June 26, 2005
    I'm in agreement. Having spent the last few days reading about the power of keywords, the ability to control sorting and the ability to add links to keyword-generated galleries on your home page are the most obvious next steps to evolve this feature...

-Adam
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    My vote for virtual galleries
    I'm in agreement. Having spent the last few days reading about the power of keywords, the ability to control sorting and the ability to add links to keyword-generated galleries on your home page are the most obvious next steps to evolve this feature...

-Adam
    I'm in agreement too. Over in this thread (http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=13914), I proposed some features for virtual galleries. The idea is to make a gallery that looks just like a normal gallery to a viewer (and thus requires no new learning for the viewer), but gets it's images from a keyword query instead of an upload. This would allow the account holder to name the gallery, control it's presentation, etc... while leveraging the power of keywords and would be a really powerful was to extend the value of keywords.

Here's what I said about it in that other thread:

1) Virtual galleries: Let me create a gallery that instead of uploading photos to it, I just specify a keyword query or queries that specify what keyworded photos from other galleries should display in this gallery. This would let me create pre-canned "views" of images based on keyword queries. By combining multiple keywords and/or combining multiple queries, I can create nearly any keyword view I want. For example, I could create a virtual gallery that lets my family see all the pictures of my son (across all galleries). The beauty of this presentation to the view is that it looks and acts just like a real gallery so there is no learning at all for the viewer. The account holder just specifies one or more keywords that automatically display in this virtual gallery.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question