Lets go few thousand years back....

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited August 10, 2009 in Landscapes
In thousands of years these rocks have wintnessed a lot:
Followers of Buddah, Army of Alexander, Curse of Flesh eating demon and now me. They say these are ruins of oldest civilization on earth. (Google it)

Today these are huge attraction for people of Buddhist belief and lots of them visit the site every year. It is quite well maintained and only at 45min drive from Islamabad the Capital of Pakistan.
614316850_YYmRU-L.jpg

There are different old cities (ruins) separated by small distances. Here you can see a Stupa people use to worship around it.
614316371_2bz9U-L.jpg

There use to be status of gods on these monuments. Now these statues are in Taxila museum some were taken away by british when british ruled indo Pak region prior to 1947.
614315061_4Ho9D-L.jpg

614315479_RSiGi-L.jpg

It was nothing like sitting on benches under tree shade and thinking about past.

614317817_cD3kR-L.jpg

614317504_cpiDa-L.jpg

House partitioning

614317254_jqZnf-L.jpg

Following are from Julian ruins. 300 stairs bring you to this place full of budah sculptures. This is Buddah Montisory and University.

Here is university area

614319197_b6nqA-L.jpg

614318009_MZ6Mg-L.jpg

614318254_wdZrC-L.jpg

614318845_6saHw-L.jpg

614318613_SFp7d-L.jpg

I heard people of Budhist belief have to visit this site once a life time. If we have any Budhist on board here at dgrin let me know i will love to help you guys to make this trip easy.

It was not a photography trip. I just took my camera along with me to meet a friend. Due to heat it was impossible to take photos under the sun. But i will go there again.
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 9, 2009
  • PeterD-2009PeterD-2009 Registered Users Posts: 618 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Thanks for sharing the images Awais. Its very interesting to see these sorts of images and the background stories.
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Really nice series. Very interesting. I especially liked your B/W's.
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Really nice set of images. This is one part of the world that I'd love to visit one day.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Lovely series, Awais! Always a pleasure to view your images. Great job! thumb.gifclap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Hey thanks everyone

You are always welcome to visit Pakistan thumb.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Bruce NovotneyBruce Novotney Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Really nice series! It must be wonderful to live among such history. The history in my area rarely goes back over 100 years.
  • ridgemacridgemac Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Great shots and information
    Although you say these were not from a "photography trip", they are really great shots with and very informative! Thanks for sharing!
    Larry
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Very interesting story and subject Awais! You got some real good shots even though that wasn't your primary objective.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Hey thank you guys. There are tons of stuff to look around in Pakistan i hope one day i will visit every corner of Pakistan.thumb.gifthumb

My Gallery