DSS#30 My Enviroment

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited August 11, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Well in the beginning I saw "Leave Your Comfort Zone Behind" for the Challenges. I have done that because I did not think I would do a shot of myself. But this is my favorite environment in the middle of a Wildlife refuge'
So I set up the shot at sunrise. It is also the first composite shots I am thinking of entering. Made the moon bigger sharper and added the hawk which I shot earlier in the week. Normally this spots is full of ducks and geese,see below
Please let me know what you really think. Please Please Please!!!!!!

Waiting for the Light
614375788_i4nNk-L.jpg
It is the wrong time of the season or I might have had this for a background. Taken from the same spot.
409686362_35Gyu-L.jpg

Original
614359427_C5cYy-L.jpg
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• CuongCuong Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Excellent idea, Chris. However, it seems strange that you're looking away from the hawk instead of at it. To me the moon suggests night time approaching. If you're thinking about sunset or sunrise, then you'll need to incorporate a rising or setting sun image. Also the horizon is not level. I recommend a redo and good luck.

Cuong
    "She Was a Little Taste of Heaven – And a One-Way Ticket to Hell!" - Max Phillips
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    :D to someone that spends a lot of time on a refuge... I completely understand that darn bird being right behind you! Isn't that the way it really happens.
    I like the shot. I think you did a great job on the composite.
  • jeffmeyersjeffmeyers Registered Users Posts: 1,535 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Holy duck season, Batman! Is that second shot a composite or just one shot? That's some serious duck traffic. Cool shot!
    More Photography . . . Less Photoshop [. . . except when I do it]
    Jeff Meyers
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Thanks for the heads up on the horizon, the reason I am looking away is bit of a joke. Donna got it whether hunting or photography the birds are almost always the opposite direction then when you do see them all you get is a butt shot of them flying away.
    I willl fix and repost

No composite on the ducks and geese I was hanging out there shooting BIF when a noisy kid came running up and made them fly all at once. Good DU Greenwing photo for how many species you can spot.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    OK here are some different views

2 smaller moon but sharp version level horizon
    614665671_mLYhf-L.jpg

3 no moon
    614666091_VPVhk-L.jpg

4 Different pose no moon
    614665056_zrwmk-L.jpg
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    This makes me smile!

I like the expression in the first one. and the size of the bird makes it look like it is getting ready to land in the trees. The larger bird looks a little out of place.

What time of day is it? Is the moon rising or setting? Are you waiting for the late afternoon light or the early morning light? (I know which I would be waiting for. mwink.gif) Generally, the full moon rises at sunset opposite the setting sun. You might want to make it a gibbous moon. See http://www.thelunartimes.com/ for moon rise and set times and phases.
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I would try #4 (lighter though) with the birds in the background...headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • WhatSheSawWhatSheSaw Registered Users Posts: 2,221 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Quick! Add your screen name to your caption.
  • dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    DsrtVW wrote:
    Thanks for the heads up on the horizon, the reason I am looking away is bit of a joke. Donna got it whether hunting or photography the birds are almost always the opposite direction then when you do see them all you get is a butt shot of them flying away.
    I willl fix and repost

No composite on the ducks and geese I was hanging out there shooting BIF when a noisy kid came running up and made them fly all at once. Good DU Greenwing photo for how many species you can spot.

Laughing.gif, I looked up to see a bobcat crossing the road in front of me Saturday... yep, I got the distant butt shot, but at least I could prove I wasn't seeing things.