A couple of boats (aerials)

aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
edited August 9, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Shot this morning while we were doing work down south of Tampa.

Container ship northbound in Tampa Bay, Florida
Nikon D300 w/Nikkor Qc 135mm/f2.8 (c1974 manual focus)
614202064_J9YLM-L.jpg

Private boat heading west in the Gulf of Mexico west of St Petersburg/Bradenton area (4x5 format)
Nikon D300 w/Nikkor 300mm/f4 EDIF AFS
614188466_Ar8dU-L.jpg

Comments

• SkippySkippy Registered Users Posts: 12,075 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Shot this morning while we were doing work down south of Tampa.

Container ship northbound in Tampa Bay, Florida
    Nikon D300 w/Nikkor Qc 135mm/f2.8 (c1974 manual focus)

Private boat heading west in the Gulf of Mexico west of St Petersburg/Bradenton area (4x5 format)
    Nikon D300 w/Nikkor 300mm/f4 EDIF AFS

Wow these are nice and sharp nod.gif

The ship could do with a paint job, water's pretty calm.
    Never really thought about how many containers can fit on ship till I saw this shot, appears it's a lot when your looking down on it.

Lovely detail in that shot clap.gif

Question about the boat (last shot) how come there is no registered number on the boat, I'm pretty sure here in Australia they have to have a number on the boat that is very visible. (large Numbers/Letters)

The boat in your shot looks kinda sterile so to speak.
    Bet it looks real nice onboard.

What a cool job you have doing Arial Photography thumb.gif

Thanks for sharing ..... Skippy :D
    Skippy (Australia) - Moderator of "HOLY MACRO" and "OTHER COOL SHOTS"

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
  • aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Hmmm. Hey, you're right - no numbers on it. About all I know of boats is that they usually float! I did a quick google on the subject and everything I can find says they're required to have registration numbers on each side of the hull in contrasting colors to be easily seen. The numbers are issued by the states, similar to car license plates - but the regulations on the size and placement is a requirement made by the US Coast Guard (so it's a national standard).

The only exception I can find seems to be if the boat was recently purchased and a temporary certificate was issued, then the numbers apparently aren't required until the actual registration from the state is received.

I don't think I shot any clear pictures from the back of the boat to see the name, I'll have to look again - it may not even have a name on it yet.

Thanks!

-Scott
  • aerialphotoaerialphoto Registered Users Posts: 299 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Managed to solve the mystery of the registration numbers. I didn't shoot much decent from the rear of the boat - we just weren't very close from that direction. I managed to get one frame that showed enough detail to read that it apparently is from the Cayman Islands. No doubt they've got different rules down there.

614947262_dj4WJ-M.jpg