Couple Photoshoot ~ C&C Wanted!!

asdesignsasdesigns Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
edited August 12, 2009 in People
Hey! 2nd post on Dgrin!
So these were all scanned 35mm. I did a photoshoot recently of this couple in all black and white, and would love some critique or comments! Thanks Guys

#1 614555683_V7sEk-L.jpg

#2 614555165_Gm4Yp-L.jpg

#3 614554825_tkcDH-L.jpg

#4 614556849_T8yCB-L.jpg

#5 614556103_sbNZ2-L.jpg

#6 614557372_bsMAD-L.jpg

#7 614558561_UQQZF-L.jpg

#8 614558039_gK9FP-L.jpg
AS-Designs ~ Adam Sassatelli ~ www.asdesignsphotography.com

Comments

• happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    Disclaimer first...I am by no means as good as most of the others on the site here, so take my advice for what it's worth, which probably isn't much.:D Also, I tend to shoot outdoor, family, kids etc type of stuff, this style isn't something I typically shoot or enjoy shooting.

1.This seems a little soft. In addition, the light I think is a little hot. Also, assuming the thing at the bottom just slightly off center is his hand holding his jacket...I would say lose that. It's OOF and distracting. On the positive side, I do like the effect of the harsh lighting.

2. I like the pose on this. However, its definetly soft. And like the first one, I think the light might be a touch hot.

3. I like this one (though still seems soft) and I just wish we could see just a little more of his face. It also seems to have some noise, which might work with it, but since it also seems soft, I don't think it's working well.

4. I think this is my favorite of the three, though I again wish we could see a little more of his face

5. Not liking this one. The light just looks like it's kinda floating there and it's way too bright on her face. Unfortunately, I think this one looks like a test shot for some Blair Witch Project style film or something.

6. This one looks better in the focus department. The only thing I am not liking is the brand name on the boxers showing...only because it looks like an American Eagle ad. Which, if that is what it is supposed to be, not bad looking:D Lighting does still look a smidge hot.

7. Seems noisy or has some strange artifacts or something in it. I think it would look better if they were either slightly better lit, or totally in sillouette. It seems kinda in between as is.

8. I am really not liking being able to see the studio set up in the glasses.
  • lilmommalilmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,060 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Not crazy about 2,5, or 8. But I LOVE 3,6, and 7! Especially 3, it evokes a lot of emotion, for me anyway. I think if they were digital I MIGHT complain a little about the softness and noise but for some reason I like this look on film. It's more real to me. Ive never shot film (besides p&s cameras back in the day) but there's something about it that strikes me, I guess because you can't fake anything with it. Where in st. Louis are you from? I'm in lake saint louis. Anyway welcome to dgrin, you will love it here!
  • asdesignsasdesigns Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    lilmomma wrote:
    Not crazy about 2,5, or 8. But I LOVE 3,6, and 7! Especially 3, it evokes a lot of emotion, for me anyway. I think if they were digital I MIGHT complain a little about the softness and noise but for some reason I like this look on film. It's more real to me. Ive never shot film (besides p&s cameras back in the day) but there's something about it that strikes me, I guess because you can't fake anything with it. Where in st. Louis are you from? I'm in lake saint louis. Anyway welcome to dgrin, you will love it here!

Thanks lilmomma!!! :D

The softness mostly comes from scanning the film in (I dont have a really high end scanner). They are very sharp except for number 2 if printed straight from film. I like to keep up with 35 mm, as it is how I originally learned photography. Even though I love digital and photoshop :).

I am a Senior at SIUE in Edwardsville, IL....pretty close to St. Louis.

I love everyone giving feedback :)
  • afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I agree w/ lilmomma...3, 6, and 7. I really am enjoying 7 and suspect I'll be back to look at it again.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I'm not a big fan of this type of lighting but you really do have a couple of nice photographs here but it is difficult to critique. #7 is going into my inspiration file, love that one. Good eye.
  • asdesignsasdesigns Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    I'm not a big fan of this type of lighting but you really do have a couple of nice photographs here but it is difficult to critique. #7 is going into my inspiration file, love that one. Good eye.

THANKS alice and hackbone!!!! bowdown.gif #7 is my favorite shot of this series also. Thank you for your kind comments!
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    I love #7!

Caroline
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    Disclaimer first...I am by no means as good as most of the others on the site here, so take my advice for what it's worth, which probably isn't much.:D Also, I tend to shoot outdoor, family, kids etc type of stuff, this style isn't something I typically shoot or enjoy shooting.

1.This seems a little soft. In addition, the light I think is a little hot. Also, assuming the thing at the bottom just slightly off center is his hand holding his jacket...I would say lose that. It's OOF and distracting. On the positive side, I do like the effect of the harsh lighting.

2. I like the pose on this. However, its definetly soft. And like the first one, I think the light might be a touch hot.

3. I like this one (though still seems soft) and I just wish we could see just a little more of his face. It also seems to have some noise, which might work with it, but since it also seems soft, I don't think it's working well.

4. I think this is my favorite of the three, though I again wish we could see a little more of his face

5. Not liking this one. The light just looks like it's kinda floating there and it's way too bright on her face. Unfortunately, I think this one looks like a test shot for some Blair Witch Project style film or something.

6. This one looks better in the focus department. The only thing I am not liking is the brand name on the boxers showing...only because it looks like an American Eagle ad. Which, if that is what it is supposed to be, not bad looking:D Lighting does still look a smidge hot.

7. Seems noisy or has some strange artifacts or something in it. I think it would look better if they were either slightly better lit, or totally in sillouette. It seems kinda in between as is.

8. I am really not liking being able to see the studio set up in the glasses.

Excellent Critique!!thumb.gif
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    #7 is great! I don't mind the lighting at all. It's just subtle enough to make make me want to study the shadow details.
  • ZerodogZerodog Registered Users Posts: 1,480 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    I like 7 a lot.