looking for a printer

rhdesignsrhdesigns Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
edited September 4, 2009 in Digital Darkroom
Hi,
I shoot at motorcycle events and other sporting events and would like to be able to print on the spot so that i don't take a gamble when printing pictures. I currently have a 8180 Hp all in one and it kinda goes through the ink pretty fast. The image quality is fine, but i find that when i go to frame the pictures, they stick to the glass. What should i look for in a printer? What would you recommend and how much is ballpark price for some of them?
thanks
ryan

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 8, 2009
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    rhdesigns wrote:
    The image quality is fine, but i find that when i go to frame the pictures, they stick to the glass.
    Are you waiting long enough for the ink to dry? I presume you are using HP inks. How long does the printer manual say you should wait before handling the finished print? ne_nau.gif
  • rhdesignsrhdesigns Registered Users Posts: 87 Big grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Are you waiting long enough for the ink to dry? I presume you are using HP inks. How long does the printer manual say you should wait before handling the finished print? ne_nau.gif

i let the photo dry for two weeks and still ended up with it sticking on the dark areas. Are there any other types of printers that work better for photos somewhere below $1000?
  • EkajEkaj Registered Users Posts: 245 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2009
    Sounds like a paper issue. Does HP offer a line of professional papers?

If you want a nice printer, check out the epson 1400. Very affordable and 13" wide prints. I love mine.
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    Pigments for you
    For quicker drying prints and sales of framed artwork, you really need a pigment-based printer. What you have is a dye-based printer. They tend to provide more saturated, glossier colors but they take longer to dry. Dye printers like the Epson 1400 are considered consumer-level printers, though they do produce nice work.
    Pigment-based prints are considered more archival--which is a requirement for selling framed work. Pigment printers are more expensive, but the inks are probably about the same.
    About the fastest and cheapest pigment printer would be something like a used Epson R1800 (13x19) or even an R800 if you won't be printing anything larger than 8.5x11. They both do glossy really well. Canon and HP also make fine pigment printers, but they are bigger and heavier.

Do more research.

M