help needed please - night shot pier - XTi

brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
edited September 4, 2009 in Technique
ok these suck - enough said about that

Could anyone please help me with the proper shooting mode and settings to capture this?

Shot with a XTi with a 28-105mm on a tripod
F/3.5, iso 400, no flash 8 seconds
IMG_4216.JPG

Comments

• Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 8, 2009
    brvheart wrote:

Could anyone please help me with the proper shooting mode and settings to capture this?

manual mode....try bumping your aperture to say 5.6 or 8 at the same settings and then try posting for simple help like this in the landscape forum....since your not asking for an actual critique of an already known bad photo .......

SHOOT and CHIMP until you hit the magic combo.....or get a hand-held spot meter and take several meter readings and average together...............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    will do, thank you for the reply -

mods please move if this is the wrong section.
  • AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited August 9, 2009
  • Bayer-Z28Bayer-Z28 Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    The low f value was restricting your focal point to an area that should be quite close to the camera. (Correct me if I'm wrong).... What focus mode were you using?

Like was said above, bump your f to about an 8 or 12. I'm mostly guilty of using too small of an aperture, constantly.. Laughing.gif

Check this out while you're at it.. Hyperfocal distance chart.
    http://www.dofmaster.com/charts.html
    Auto enthusiast. I drive a 2000 Camaro Z28. LOADED w/ mods.

Camera: Nikon D80, 18-55 f3.5 stocker & 18-200 Nikon VR.... with a small collection of filters..

My Smugmug.. STILL Under construction.
    http://bayer-Z28.smugmug.com
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    i see your using a tripod which is good but try a shutter release cable as well
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • dmeiselmandmeiselman Registered Users Posts: 74 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    dtw78 wrote:
    i see your using a tripod which is good but try a shutter release cable as well

Or. for a cheaper option, put your camera on 2 or 10 second timer mode, gives you a moment to step away from the camera, so you do not 'rock the boat.'

Not my favorite shot, but here's a recent example:
    ISO 100, 30s, f/9
    439160668_rKCz6-L.jpg
    D300|Tokina 12-24 f/4|Sigma 24mm f/1.8|Nikon 35 f/2|Tokina 50-135 f/2.8|AlienBees
  • moose135moose135 Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I'll agree with the advice you've been given - drop the ISO to 100, stop down the aperture (f/7.1 or f/9 range) and adjust the shutter speed based on the histogram. For a different effect, you might want to stop down the aperture a lot (f/16 or f/22) for some starburst effects on the lights. And definitely use either a remote release or the timer so you don't introduce camera shake when tripping the shutter.
    edited August 9, 2009
    thank you for the advice - I used the timer, upped the F and left the 8 seconds I played with the ISO up to 400, I will detail the exif as soon as I get back to a good connection

IMG_4330.JPG

IMG_4331.JPG

IMG_4332.JPG
    edited August 10, 2009
    I think you would be better off keeping the ISO low, and increasing your shutter. Here's one I shot earlier this year - ISO 100, f/11, 30 second exposure:

573331623_dBvVj-M.jpg
  • TallboyTallboy Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    If you could take the sky & pier from the second and use the foreground from the third, I think you'd be onto something. One issue I have with the three images you posted compared to the first is that I much prefer the composition of the first one to the last three for the main reason that the foreground in the last three is taking up a significantly increased amount of the frame and I think it takes away from the pier, which is what you are after.

I've been toying around with the night shots too (I have thread in Technique on the subject which has some of my tinkering in it)...much harder than I would have thought. Looking forward to see some more of your experiments. clap.gif
  • SamirDSamirD Registered Users Posts: 3,474 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    I'd use a lower ISO, like 100 to keep noise down, a timer with the tripod, f8 or higher and a longer shutter time like 20-30 seconds. I'd also play with the white balance to minimize the yellowing effect of the lights.
    Pictures and Videos of the Huntsville Car Scene: www.huntsvillecarscene.com
    Want faster uploading? Vote for FTP!
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I'm going to echo what others have said...

First I see camera shake, which would mean that either your tripod was not stable (wind blowing cheaper/light tripods could cause this) and/or you didn't use a remote shutter release or the self timer.

To get a great image of this pier I would suggest:
    Sturdy tripod using self timer or shutter release
    ISO 100, stop down to f/11 or smaller and an exposure time of more than 20 seconds (this is the bigger variable as you would want to adjust for proper exposure). I would also suggest shooting within 30 minutes after sunset to capture a really nice deep blue sky.

Regarding the composition, you've got a lot of negative space in the first image and all of the images posted lack a straight horizon.

The following image was captured approximately 30 minutes after sunset.
    ISO 100, f/22 (for the starburst effect), 30 seconds on a sturdy tripod with shutter release.
    616975518_nESVE-M.jpg
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
    edited August 11, 2009
    First off thank you all! To answer a few questions - yes there is a lot of wind shake here due to it being right on the beach and a cheaper tripod - my nice HD tripod broke right before leaving :(

I like the idea of shooting 30 minutes after sunset - I will try this tomorrow.

Also I had trouble with the auto focus in M mode so I had to switch to MF - is this normal in low light or is this a sign of trouble with the Camera?
    edited August 11, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    Also I had trouble with the auto focus in M mode so I had to switch to MF - is this normal in low light or is this a sign of trouble with the Camera?
    No, that's fairly normal. In low contrast situations, AF can have problems getting a lock, it may "hunt" a little or not lock at all.

There are a few techniques I use - if there is a brighter object in the frame, in an area that I want in focus (like a street light on the pier, for instance), you can lock focus on that, then switch to manual and recompose. Not sure if your XTi has Live View, but I find using LV, zoomed in, I can get pretty good manual focus. And if the main object is close enough, you can always cheat - shine a light on it while focusing (you do carry a flashlight for night shooting, don't you?) - or have a friend stand next to it and light up the display on a cell phone/PDA to give you a target to focus on.
    edited August 11, 2009
    BeachBill wrote:
    I'm going to echo what others have said...

First I see camera shake, which would mean that either your tripod was not stable (wind blowing cheaper/light tripods could cause this) and/or you didn't use a remote shutter release or the self timer.

To get a great image of this pier I would suggest:
    Sturdy tripod using self timer or shutter release
    ISO 100, stop down to f/11 or smaller and an exposure time of more than 20 seconds (this is the bigger variable as you would want to adjust for proper exposure). I would also suggest shooting within 30 minutes after sunset to capture a really nice deep blue sky.

Regarding the composition, you've got a lot of negative space in the first image and all of the images posted lack a straight horizon.

The following image was captured approximately 30 minutes after sunset.
    ISO 100, f/22 (for the starburst effect), 30 seconds on a sturdy tripod with shutter release.
    616975518_nESVE-M.jpg

what Camera/Lens was this taken with?
  • BeachBillBeachBill Registered Users Posts: 1,311 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    brvheart wrote:
    what Camera/Lens was this taken with?

Let's see... I took that photo in May 2007 so I was using a Canon EOS 30D. I can only guess, but I'm pretty sure I was using a Sigma 18-50mm f2.8 EX DC @ 50 mm.
    Bill Gerrard Photography - Facebook - Interview - SmugRoom: Useful Tools for SmugMug
  • gatordoc97gatordoc97 Registered Users Posts: 19 Big grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    brvheart wrote:

IMG_4216.JPG

you are using a tripod, so that is a good start.
    my suggestions are 1) get a lot closer 2)set the aperture to f11 3) set iso to the camera's native iso (either 100 or 200) 4)use aperture mode unless it is too dark and shutter speed is longer than 30 seconds then use manual mode 5)you will need a shutter release if the shutter speed is longer than 30 seconds otherwise use the self timer

I would get there right at sunset and start taking photos, taking a new photo every time the shutter speed changed until you reach 30 seconds.

Be sure to fill the frame with the pier...you are much too far away in your photo.

Look at my shots of a pier in panama city beach florida. Check the exif data. You can see the photos at www.scottharrisphotos.com, Galleries, Other, Places, Niceville/Destin/Panama City.

One last tip: when shooting after dark you have to leave the shutter open for a looooonnnng time...several minutes or more. My photos have turned out best when it isn't so dark and I can use aperture mode. Good luck.
  • theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    moose135 wrote:
    I think you would be better off keeping the ISO low, and increasing your shutter. Here's one I shot earlier this year - ISO 100, f/11, 30 second exposure:

573331623_dBvVj-M.jpg

Hey Moose, how did you get those clouds to stay still for 30 seconds? ne_nau.gif
    I have seen quite a few longer exposures without clouds streaking across the frame and I have always wondered how this is accomplished. Maybe clouds just move much faster in KY? rolleyes1.gif

To the OP, in addition to all the great suggestions already given, you might also want to try enabling mirror lock. It sounds trivial and I didn't utilize this function for a long time but it really does make a difference. thumb.gif
    Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"
    edited September 3, 2009
    Hey Moose, how did you get those clouds to stay still for 30 seconds? ne_nau.gif
    I have seen quite a few longer exposures without clouds streaking across the frame and I have always wondered how this is accomplished. Maybe clouds just move much faster in KY? rolleyes1.gif
    When I view the full size image, I can see some blurriness in the clouds - I guess there wasn't much of a breeze that night, so they weren't moving very quickly. I think the heat of the city slows them down :D
    I can assure you I'm not good enough with PS to have swapped out the sky!
  • theinlawjosietheinlawjosie Registered Users Posts: 162 Major grins
    edited September 4, 2009
    moose135 wrote:
    When I view the full size image, I can see some blurriness in the clouds - I guess there wasn't much of a breeze that night, so they weren't moving very quickly. I think the heat of the city slows them down :D
    I can assure you I'm not good enough with PS to have swapped out the sky!

Laughing.gif. The thought of swapping the sky in PS never even crossed my mind.....It's an incredible picture! clap.gif

There may be some weight behind the "heat of the city" theory. I live in the "country" here in KY and it seems like the clouds are ALWAYS zooming by. At least at night. Maybe I just pick the wrong nights to go out and shoot???

Once again; incredible capture, and I apologize if it came off as if I was accusing you of photoshopping the sky. Like I said, the though never even crossed my mind. iloveyou.gif
    Shane

"Set the Gear Shift for the High Gear of Your Soul"