DSS 30 The Wrestler...

VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
edited August 9, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
I went to a wrestling match tonight... the ropes were a serious problem while shooting but I did manage a couple I think might be better than my current entry... so I'm asking the community for your opinion... should I keep my current entry or go with one of the wrestler shots :dunno

current entry

614606314_ueR8v-XL.jpg

wrestler 1

614603868_ahceF-XL.jpg

wrestler 2

614601508_BaCqy-XL.jpg

Any input is most appreciated... :thumb

Winston

Comments

• sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Personally I think your current entry is still stronger,
    even though muscle strength the others trump it mwink.gif
  • DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I like the garden shot too. I am not a big fan of wrestling. But the original has more environment. Then again the wrestler is in his environment there 1st shot, self absorbed up on a pedestle
    Chris K. NANPA Member
    http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/
  • travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I think that "wrestler 2" is more powerful in terms of a portrait... headscratch.gif
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Thanks all for your thoughtful comments... anyone else care to chime in?

Winston
  • ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I think the two wrestler photos have more potential, but because of the higher ISO noise (at least I think that is what I see), the gardener photo is a better photo and, therefore, is more pleasant to look at.
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    The gardener. thumb.gif I agree with Greg about it being more pleasing to look at.

ne_nau.gif The wrestler doesn't do much for me.
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    I love the wrestler pictures. Grain works with these gritty pictures. (Aside: Having grain in a picture does not make it less good than another picture without, imho. Sometimes it works well - sometimes it is the way it has to be, even in the digital age, and that can be ok, just as it was with film.)

The garden picture is very pretty. Lovely colors. Interesting, effective composition. However, the woman could be the gardener or she could be someone posing in the setting.

The grit of the wrestler pix has "wow" factor for me. And we know that the subject IS a wrestler.

My favorite is #2 - his expression and the look he is giving the viewer speak volumes. I think, however, that a good argument can be made that #3 makes the environment more obvious and for that reason would make the better entry in this contest.

Hard to see how you can go wrong whatever you pick.

Good luck!!

Virginia

Email
  • VisualXpressionsVisualXpressions Registered Users Posts: 860 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Wow... Some great analysis there Virginia, thanks for your input... wish we could enter more than one shot :cry I think I will stick with the gardener since I planned and worked on the shot, and because it happens to be my Wife and her garden... she always says I never take a good picture of her... I think I did in this case... I do love the wrestler shots though. I added the grit and grain in post by the way... shot these in a gym with on camera flash and a bounce card f5 at 60 ISO 200... I rarely shoot with a higher ISO, anyway some shots were a tad underexposed some over... I was lucky to be able to work these 2 as well as I did... It was fun shooting, if I do it again I will ask if I can shoot close enough so I can get between the ropes...

Winston