Options

Ed's Farewell

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited August 10, 2009 in People
I don't think any of these really need a back story, but for those of you who are lost without one...I'm in the D.C. area this weekend for a memorial gathering yesterday in honor of my wife's late Uncle Ed, who died last winter at 92. His widow, Molly, was there, as were various branches of the family, and friends, from the ages of about three or four to 90. While everyone else watched a really wonderful slide show one of Ed's daughter's had put together, schmoozed, and ate, I shot. The first image was shot in the dark, by the light of the slide screen, hand held, of Molly watching the slide show.

615003742_ea26V-X2.jpg

615003770_VT9Rs-X2.jpg

615003768_5emUu-X2.jpg

615003802_aoaP6-X2.jpg

615003785_94tpw-X2.jpg

615003814_JPMtu-X2.jpg

By the way, if anyone is still interested at the last minute, there is space in next week's workshop. Email me asap if you want information.
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Nice moments and hopefully many fond memories. The first one is quite amazing. I love the picture of the boy watching his reflection in the steamer lid. The expression on the child's face in the last one feels very non-sequitor with the mother's expression. He looks shocked/horrified at what he's just learned....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Nice shooting BD...

A clinic in capturing expressions.....
    Rags
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Nice moments and hopefully many fond memories. The first one is quite amazing. I love the picture of the boy watching his reflection in the steamer lid. The expression on the child's face in the last one feels very non-sequitor with the mother's expression. He looks shocked/horrified at what he's just learned....

Thanks! He was either horrified or mock horrified - I think his uncle was making very weird faces at him.mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    What comes over through these to me is a celebration of LIFE; I hope that was indeed the reality of the event as strongly as it comes over in the photos.

(And you have NO IDEA how much I wish I could go to Boston and take the seminar! Alas, logistics and bank accounts both conspire against me on that score... but know how much I'd love to explore this stuff in person instead of online! thumb.gif)
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    What comes over through these to me is a celebration of LIFE; I hope that was indeed the reality of the event as strongly as it comes over in the photos.

(And you have NO IDEA how much I wish I could go to Boston and take the seminar! Alas, logistics and bank accounts both conspire against me on that score... but know how much I'd love to explore this stuff in person instead of online! thumb.gif)

Thanks so much, D.M. ;-)

I am thinking of putting together a three-day workshop over Columbus Day weekend, if the interest is there.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    I am thinking of putting together a three-day workshop over Columbus Day weekend, if the interest is there.

Where would 'there' be?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,917 moderator
    edited August 9, 2009
    I love the expression in the second and last.

It does look more like a celebration of life to me. People look engaged and as if they're enjoying conversation.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited August 9, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Where would 'there' be?

There would be here, in tems of interest, but there would be Boston in terms of location.:-)
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    edited August 10, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    I love the expression in the second and last.

It does look more like a celebration of life to me. People look engaged and as if they're enjoying conversation.

Indeed - very much a celebration of a life. BTW - If anyone is interested in seeing what an entire shoot like this looks like - crap and all rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif - go to my website, click on A Day In Our Life, then Farewell, Ed - the password is "molly." And remember, there hasn't been any Photoshopping of the images - just basic color correction work in Lightroom - which in some cases includes use of my bw plug-in - and some cropping. Otherwise, it's WYSIWYG time. (Oh, and the dog stuff at the end is just some quick shots of my brother-in-law's dog who is within weeks of the end - snapshots only.)

FINAL NOTE: I have made it possible for people visiting the Farewell Ed gallery to pull down full-size images, because I expect family and friends of family to be visiting - and I have price the prints at cost. I would ask that Dgriner's visiting NOT pull down any images or take prints at cost - honor system? mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

• Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Very nice, especially #1.

I'm sure you don't actually need the honor system to allow your friends and family to get better prices on prints and download original sized files. One crude but effective approach is just to make two galleries, one for your friends and family and the other for dgrin. Then you can price and set the limits for download sizes accordingly, no problems. Maybe there is another way to do this, but simple is good.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    edited August 10, 2009
    rutt wrote:
    Very nice, especially #1.

I'm sure you don't actually need the honor system to allow your friends and family to get better prices on prints and download original sized files. One crude but effective approach is just to make two galleries, one for your friends and family and the other for dgrin. Then you can price and set the limits for download sizes accordingly, no problems. Maybe there is another way to do this, but simple is good.

Thanks, Rutt. And true, but I really didn't want to go through the bother of setting up two galleries. I will change the password in the near future and will only give it to family to distribute, and will set up a much smaller gallery of what I think are the best images.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com