Barney had to stay inside today...

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited August 15, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
cause it was raining pretty hard outside. I kept him in the garage workshop with me and used him to try out my new SB900 and Ultimate Light Box system. He was not the most enthusiastic model one could wish for :rolleyes

C&C appreciated as always.

615154263_JLfrZ-L.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Howdy Jack,

Oh Wow, what a great portrait, I am sure Barney is thrilled with it, and

you're so glad you got him to sign a "Models Release" , didn't you?:D:D:D

Wonderful composition, coloring and toning, and he really worked the "Bored With Having to Stay inside Today Look"

Anymore from this session??

Also, would be interested in hearing about how you like the new SB900
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 9, 2009
    Please send Barney to my house. I will show you how it's done :D

He's lit nicely though it seems more from the rear.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Panther wrote:
    Howdy Jack,

Oh Wow, what a great portrait, I am sure Barney is thrilled with it, and

you're so glad you got him to sign a "Models Release" , didn't you?:D:D:D

Wonderful composition, coloring and toning, and he really worked the "Bored With Having to Stay inside Today Look"

Anymore from this session??
    rolleyes1.gif Thanks Craig. This was the first shot I took after spending a whole lot of time reading the manual. I've taken some more this evening but haven't had a look at them yet.

Panther wrote:
    Also, would be interested in hearing about how you like the new SB900

It is a really fabulous system IMO and I'm sure I'll have more to say once I get to know all the bells and whistles better. I partnered it with the UltimateLightBox flash diffuser

Jack
  • black mambablack mamba Registered Users Posts: 8,323 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Darn if old Barney is not becoming a real star. This is a real super shot of your friend.

These latest flash systems from Nikon are teriffic, but a lot more complex to use properly than you would imagine. I'm pretty good at being able to read directions and getting things done, however, in the interest of nailing these systems before I die, I've signed up with a local pro who offers a class in mastering these things. Pray for me to succeed.

See you guy,

Tom
    I always wanted to lie naked on a bearskin rug in front of a fireplace. Cracker Barrel didn't take kindly to it.
  • PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif Thanks Craig. This was the first shot I took after spending a whole lot of time reading the manual. I've taken some more this evening but haven't had a look at them yet.

It is a really fabulous system IMO and I'm sure I'll have more to say once I get to know all the bells and whistles better. I partnered it with the UltimateLightBox flash diffuser

Howdy Jack,

That's great to hear about the new flash and diffuser, I have been playing around with this one, it's kind of interesting the way it works and the use of it.

http://www.dembflashproducts.com/flipit/

Looking forward to seeing more shots of Barney and seeing what you come up with your new flash and diffuser.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    HI Jack .... That is a nice shot of Barney...He looks like he would rather be out in the rain..........:D azzaro
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    I agree...its a wonderful photo of Barney thumb.gif
  • Gary752Gary752 Registered Users Posts: 934 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Hey John, nice shot of a beautiful dog! I also have one of those difusers on order! Did you get the pro pack? That's what I had ordered, and should be here in another day or two. I had been looking at different diffusers and had a couple picked out. My final decission was made after seeing your photo above, and then going back to their site and re-reading the specs again. Now I can't wait for it to arrive so I can experiment with it.

GaryB
    GaryB
    “The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it!” - Ansel Adams
    edited August 11, 2009
    ian408 wrote:
    Please send Barney to my house. I will show you how it's done :D

He's lit nicely though it seems more from the rear.

:D Thanks Ian
    Actually the ambient lighting consisted of one compact fluorescent bulb inline with his head and 3 ft. to camera right and about 7 ft high. The fill flash was bounced from the ceiling.

Jack
    edited August 11, 2009
    Darn if old Barney is not becoming a real star. This is a real super shot of your friend.

These latest flash systems from Nikon are teriffic, but a lot more complex to use properly than you would imagine. I'm pretty good at being able to read directions and getting things done, however, in the interest of nailing these systems before I die, I've signed up with a local pro who offers a class in mastering these things. Pray for me to succeed.

See you guy,

Tom

Hi Tom
    Wish I had access to such a class. I did get a couple of books: one specific to Nikon's speedlights (by Tom Hagen published by Rocky Nook) plus "The Complete Guide to Light and Lighting" by Michael Freeman (both from Barnes and Noble).
    I am impressed with how the D700 and the SB900 speak to each other.

Jack
  • ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,934 moderator
    edited August 11, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    :D Thanks Ian
    Actually the ambient lighting consisted of one compact fluorescent bulb inline with his head and 3 ft. to camera right and about 7 ft high. The fill flash was bounced from the ceiling.

I was looking again this afternoon. The light really highlights his coat and the detail around his eyes.

The Nikon CLS system is so nice. It's got some great features I wish Canon would adopt thumb.gif
    I did just pick up a EZbox hotshoe from Lastolite. It's a very nice and easy to use softbox that works well with something like the SB900.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    Very nice looking dog.
    Obviously well groomed and I suspect spoiled ta boot. :D

Your effort with the lighting really paid off for sure.
    I think its an excellent photograph of Barney. Well done. thumb.gif
    Michael
    edited August 12, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    HI Jack .... That is a nice shot of Barney...He looks like he would rather be out in the rain..........:D azzaro

Thanks Azzaro
    Yup, he was really down in the dumps about having to stay indoors that day.

Jack
    edited August 12, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    I agree...its a wonderful photo of Barney thumb.gif

Thanks MAry Kim. Barney is a real great companion and very photogenic.

Jack
    edited August 15, 2009
    BroPhoto wrote:
    Hey John, nice shot of a beautiful dog! I also have one of those difusers on order! Did you get the pro pack? That's what I had ordered, and should be here in another day or two. I had been looking at different diffusers and had a couple picked out. My final decission was made after seeing your photo above, and then going back to their site and re-reading the specs again. Now I can't wait for it to arrive so I can experiment with it.

GaryB

Hi Gary thanks for the nice comments. I got the UltimateLightBox kit. The pro pack has the same items plus the Black Box and colored filters. I am sure you are going to love this system. Looking forward to seeing your results.

Jack