Options

Macro Butterflies

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited June 27, 2005 in Holy Macro
Here are some of my attempts at buttefly macros. Nothing like what I've seen here, but a good start!

butter15lu.jpg

butter25iu.jpg

butter32lc.jpg

Comments? :)
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• Options
    ysr612ysr612 Registered Users Posts: 148 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    I love number one that is a shot I always wanted to get.
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Here are some of my attempts at buttefly macros. Nothing like what I've seen here, but a good start!
    Hey, don't sell yourself short, these are reallly nice. I love the first one, such nice detail.
    Al
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    Commando BotanistCommando Botanist Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    I like them all, but that first one is my favorite. *Very* cool.

The other two I like because, besides being good shots, they're two of the same species I shot this spring for the first time. Number two (Euphydryas chalcedona hennei -- Henne's Variable Checkerspot, in case you care...:D) I spotted several times in the same general area. But number three (Euchloe hyantis -- California Marble) was a total luck shot for me. I was wandering around a desert wash while a couple of my collegues changed a flat tire, and the butterfly and I happened to show up at the same place at the same time. So I'm very curious about where you captured these shots.

And yes, I'm going to post some desert botany shots, as per your request. mwink.gif

Cheers!
    "Whatever you do will be insignificant. but it is very important that you do it." -- Gandhi
  • Options
    MuskyDudeMuskyDude Registered Users Posts: 1,508 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Love the detail and colors, very nice! thumb.gif

AJ
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2005
    I like them all, but that first one is my favorite. *Very* cool.

The other two I like because, besides being good shots, they're two of the same species I shot this spring for the first time. Number two (Euphydryas chalcedona hennei -- Henne's Variable Checkerspot, in case you care...:D) I spotted several times in the same general area. But number three (Euchloe hyantis -- California Marble) was a total luck shot for me. I was wandering around a desert wash while a couple of my collegues changed a flat tire, and the butterfly and I happened to show up at the same place at the same time. So I'm very curious about where you captured these shots.

And yes, I'm going to post some desert botany shots, as per your request. mwink.gif

Cheers!
    Yeah! I wasn't sure if it was the Chalcedon Checkerspot or the Henne's. Thanks for telling me which one it was! :)

I did snap one of a blue butterfly, i don't know what type it is, and it's not the greatest shot because the little bugger would land for 1 second at a time if that... Here's the image:

butter47za.jpg
    and
    butter58ee.jpg

I did get some more shots of the first butterfly.

butter64ln.jpg

butter78pu.jpg
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    I think they are better than "attempts" I think they are a success. Butterlies are not easy and you have some winners here.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2005
    Thanks Greaper!

I just want to figure out a way to get the clarity that I see in others (like seeing the different little segments of the insect's eyes). I'm using the EX 180mm Sigma lens, and occasionally (when it comes to butterflies), i use the 2x Sigma Multiplier.
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Hi Tyler,
    I have a hunch that the clarity some are getting starts with a clear focus, and then the rest is PP. I still haven't gotten the clarity either and suspect it's my PP since the gear I'm using is quality gear.
    I like your #3 shot the best, nice OOF backgroundthumb.gif, but all are nice shots.

Thanks for sharing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    Commando BotanistCommando Botanist Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Lovely!
    Yeah! I wasn't sure if it was the Chalcedon Checkerspot or the Henne's. Thanks for telling me which one it was! :)

I did snap one of a blue butterfly, i don't know what type it is, and it's not the greatest shot because the little bugger would land for 1 second at a time if that... Here's the image:

butter47za.jpg
    According to one of my handy-dandy field guides, I'm going to guess that this one is a male Melissa Blue (Lycaeides melissa). It looks identical to me, and the guide says it's "our only blue with orange bands on both the underside fore- and hind-wings. On the upperside males are blue with no bands, females brown with orange bands." It also says the adults will take nectar from members of the mustard family, which is what your little guy is on in your photo.

Your picture is better than the one in the guide book. clap.gif

The second one is a Painted Lady (Vanessa cardui). I should've known that one -- there were swarms of those things were EVERYWHERE this spring!

Cheers!
    "Whatever you do will be insignificant. but it is very important that you do it." -- Gandhi
  • Options
    NetgardenNetgarden Registered Users Posts: 829 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Enjoyed looking at all of them DRT. I think they are quite nice.thumb.gif Loved the tongue sticking out on the first, hard to get! And the blue bflies nice also.