Where did Mt. Rainier Go?

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited August 11, 2009 in Landscapes
So now that the wildflowers are in peak (or past peak in a couple of places), Mt. Rainier decided to hide itself among the fog and clouds, and the forecast for the rest of the week doesn't look promising.

I knew this, but decided to drive up there (Naches Peak near Chinook Pass) yesterday anyway (it was that or clean my apartment, so the decision wasn't difficult). I was hoping the clouds might clear just enough at sunset to give me some drama, but it didn't happen.

It was so foggy and overcast I could barely see 15 feet in front of me.

So I just shot the wildflowers instead, minus the big volcano in the background. It's definitely peak time right now several weeks before last year. Hopefully the forecast will clear at some point soon.

#1: Subalpine Daisy

614653730_DJUir-XL.jpg

#2: Western Anemone (seed pod):

614621638_yf2rs-XL.jpg

#3: Lupine and Paintbrush join the Western Anemone. It was like this all along Tipsoo Lake.

614637166_jWcfH-XL.jpg

#4: Paintbrush:

614661891_fmtZJ-XL.jpg

#5: Wide angle version of #3.

614656447_Brjva-XL.jpg

#6: I liked the subjects but couldn't find a composition, so I said screw it and just aimed and fired. I kind of like it even though it's a little chaotic.

614659304_e6Up7-XL.jpg

#7: I drove to Sunrise to see if I could see the mountain from there - I couldn't. Wildflowers are already past peak there also. But there were some dramatic clouds.

614650982_TzG2K-XL.jpg

Comments

• Bruce NovotneyBruce Novotney Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Nice series! # 2 and #7 stand out to me. When in Seattle a few weeks back I was surprised how visible Rainier was.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Super shots, bud! I love the isolated Subalpine Daisy shot and the Western Anemone (that one sorta looks like some hairy spider). The other wildflower and b&w landscape are also nice. The way I see it, there really is no such thing as bad weather for photography, as long as you choose your subjects wisely, which you certainly have done in this magical series! clap.gifthumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Ron-
    Love #3!! Does the lupine usually bloom in the PNW in July/August? My mom has this picture in her head that she wants taken of lupine blooming in Maine (she lives there in the summer). I'm usually up there in July/August but it never seems to be blooming then. I think it blooms in the east in May/early June. I'm trying to plan a family vacation to the PNW (which would have to be in July/Aug when the kids are out of school. Maybe I will finally get that lupine picture.

Stephanie
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 9, 2009
    Nice series! # 2 and #7 stand out to me. When in Seattle a few weeks back I was surprised how visible Rainier was.

Thanks Bruce, we had quite a long clear/dry spell in western Washington (which included the highest recorded temperature in Seattle - 103F) that finally came to an end last week. And now the clouds don't want to leave.
    edited August 9, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Super shots, bud! I love the isolated Subalpine Daisy shot and the Western Anemone (that one sorta looks like some hairy spider). The other wildflower and b&w landscape are also nice. The way I see it, there really is no such thing as bad weather for photography, as long as you choose your subjects wisely, which you certainly have done in this magical series! clap.gifthumb.gif

Thanks Mahesh - you're right, with nature photography all types of weather will work depending on what your subjects are. My only problem is that I prefer some subjects more than others lol3.gif
    edited August 9, 2009
    Ron-
    Love #3!! Does the lupine usually bloom in the PNW in July/August? My mom has this picture in her head that she wants taken of lupine blooming in Maine (she lives there in the summer). I'm usually up there in July/August but it never seems to be blooming then. I think it blooms in the east in May/early June. I'm trying to plan a family vacation to the PNW (which would have to be in July/Aug when the kids are out of school. Maybe I will finally get that lupine picture.

Stephanie

Thanks Stephanie. Actually the lupine bloom all through summer in various parts of the state depending on climate and elevation (and yearly weather conditions). In June this year they were in bloom at Hurricane Ridge, and then late July at Mt. Rainier. Usually late July and early August is the best time around Mt. Rainier.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    You could make a phone book look like art. Beautiful series Ron.
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Very nice Ron. I really like your use of DOF in these shots!

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
  • PhotoDavid78PhotoDavid78 Registered Users Posts: 939 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    I love #2. The water drops help make that shot extra special. Was it growing out of the water or washed up on shore?
    David Weiss | Canon 5D Mark III | FujiFilm XT-4 | iPhone
    My Website
    Facebook | Twitter | | VSCOgrid | Instagram |
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Beautiful photographs. Man Rainier is packed with beauty. Seems like God customized it for Photographers ! mwink.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 10, 2009
    Very pleasing flower macros, Ron! thumb.gif I've had the same problem facing a field full of random flowers and trying to find a comp in it. You done good. deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Whoah talk about drama in the weather in your last shot! I was hoping you'd take a shot of the situation, even if it wasn't "optimal" in the traditional sense. I think it's still an awesome opportunity. :D
    edited August 10, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    You could make a phone book look like art. Beautiful series Ron.

Thanks - but let's hope the weather doesn't get bad enough where I'm forced to put that theory to practice :D
    edited August 10, 2009
    dtw78 wrote:
    I love #2. The water drops help make that shot extra special. Was it growing out of the water or washed up on shore?

Rain drops and dew actually. It's amazing how different the flowers look up at 1x magnification.
    edited August 10, 2009
    ront wrote:
    Very nice Ron. I really like your use of DOF in these shots!

Ron

Thanks Ron, I've found that narrow DOF works a lot better in macro/close up shots of flowers. For the wider landscapes I'm kind of 50/50 on it. Some of these I had to it so I wouldn't get motion blur, others because I was experimenting.
    edited August 10, 2009
    Beautiful photographs. Man Rainier is packed with beauty. Seems like God customized it for Photographers ! mwink.gif

It's definitely an amazing area, I'm always excited when the higher elevation trails clear of snow. Now we just need this fog to clear as well and I'll be very very happy :D
    edited August 10, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Very pleasing flower macros, Ron! thumb.gif I've had the same problem facing a field full of random flowers and trying to find a comp in it. You done good. deal.gif

Cheers,
    -joel

Thanks Joel. It's WAY easier when there's a 14,000 ft volcano in the background, as the flowers are just the cherry on top of the cake instead of the entire cake :D I'm not completely happy with these shots, but figured I'd throw them up to see what people thought.
    edited August 10, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    Whoah talk about drama in the weather in your last shot! I was hoping you'd take a shot of the situation, even if it wasn't "optimal" in the traditional sense. I think it's still an awesome opportunity. :D

Definitely! The first place I was at you couldn't see 15 feet in front of you let alone the mountain. So after shooting the wildflowers I drove about 20 miles away to Sunrise, where you could see more, Rainier was still hidden, but the peaks to the south were visible a little bit. I'm so lucky to live close to this stuff that I can sound a bit snobby when conditions aren't perfect - I don't mean to, I definitely appreciate the easy access!
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    You sure made the most of this trip. The colors look pretty vibrant up there right now. I need to get up there soon but I wish this weather would change!
  • DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    You have some more nice images here. :D
    Have to say that I think #7 is yet another super fine one. thumb.gifbowdown.gifD
    Michael