Uncle Jim

ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,085 moderator
edited August 15, 2009 in People
This is an image from 2005, which I recently completely reprocessed. I like my Uncle's "impish grin" and I think this is somewhat typical for him.

This was in a restaurant with (typically) horrible lighting.

Key light, tungsten cannister light almost directly above, with tungsten light to the sides as well. Bounced and fill flash, probably using my hand as the fill reflector.

Canon XT/350D with Sigma 18-50mm, f2.8 DC @ 50mm and wide open, 1/200th.

615738907_cBJgy-O.jpg
ziggy53
Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums

Comments

• Yuri PautovYuri Pautov Registered Users Posts: 1,918 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Priviet, Ziggy!
    Like your work - I see how you had tried to 'pass' this interesting person to us - and you won! Must say that using a bit less light could do good as I think. But expression - is really very interesting. I see a little contradiction between the bright light and some intrigue in the expression of the model.
    Thank you,
    Yuri
  • derosee_derosee_ Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited August 10, 2009
    Pretty neat!
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,085 moderator
    edited August 10, 2009
    Priviet, Ziggy!
    Like your work - I see how you had tried to 'pass' this interesting person to us - and you won! Must say that using a bit less light could do good as I think. But expression - is really very interesting. I see a little contradiction between the bright light and some intrigue in the expression of the model.
    Thank you,
    Yuri

Thanks Yuri (Spasibo).

Here is another version with the forehead and top-of-head toned down a bit.

616196765_H4XmN-O.jpg
    ziggy53
    edited August 10, 2009
    derosee_ wrote:
    Pretty neat!

Thanks Derosee, and welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif
    ziggy53
  • RogerLundRogerLund Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Very nice, I would vote for every more of a tone down of the forehead.
    Canon 5D, Canon XT, Canon 50mm EF 1.8, Canon 50mm EF 1.4, Canon 85mm EF 1.8, Canon 100mm EF 2.8 Marco, Canon 100-300mm EF 5.6 L, 17-40mm EF F4 L
    -
    Roger Lund
    edited August 10, 2009
    RogerLund wrote:
    Very nice, I would vote for every more of a tone down of the forehead.

Thanks Roger. I'll take a look at the forehead again. I have taken it down further previously but it starts to look odd considering the way the light falls just below the glasses. Fixing the "shiny" parts has also proven troublesome.
    ziggy53
  • RogerLundRogerLund Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Sometimes you can only do so much in PS.

:0)

Roger Lund
    Canon 5D, Canon XT, Canon 50mm EF 1.8, Canon 50mm EF 1.4, Canon 85mm EF 1.8, Canon 100mm EF 2.8 Marco, Canon 100-300mm EF 5.6 L, 17-40mm EF F4 L
    -
    Roger Lund
    edited August 15, 2009
    Does this work for anyone?

I fixed more of the forehead, converted to B&W using an Agfa 200X action, used a custom curve to lighten and increase contrast further, then a 40 percent sepia tone and finally a crop to 8 x 10 proportions.

620137003_GeVyg-O.jpg
    ziggy53
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    The last one is very good but still too much light for me......his face is just a tad from being blown in my 'umble opin.................but i do like the photos............and his grin
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

edited August 15, 2009
    Art Scott wrote:
    The last one is very good but still too much light for me......his face is just a tad from being blown in my 'umble opin.................but i do like the photos............and his grin

Point taken Art. I was going for a "caricature" of the image, but I suppose it was over the top.

Here is another rendition, taken from the same Agfa 200X action. This time the tones were mapped to be much closer to natural, and then a 40 percent sepia tone added.

620319750_YwGvt-O.jpg
    ziggy53