Prints with Borders?

BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited September 18, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Sorry if I've missed this somewhere else...

Have you guys at smugmug given any consideration to offering prints with borders? I've made a couple of attempts to add borders myself, but the trim tolerance on the printers makes that approach unacceptably inconsistent.:(:

I'm not sure EZprints even sells prints with borders. But, I know that I and others who order prints off my site would like the option of white borders.

What do you think?

Thanks,
Ben

Comments

• Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    BenA2 wrote:

Have you guys at smugmug given any consideration to offering prints with borders? I've made a couple of attempts to add borders myself, but the trim tolerance on the printers makes that approach unacceptably inconsistent.:(:

I'm not sure EZprints even sells prints with borders. But, I know that I and others who order prints off my site would like the option of white borders.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Ben
    Perhaps you could add a border on your own via photoshop and then simply let ezprints print that image?
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    He tried that, but since the trimming isn't exact, the results aren't acceptable.
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Tried that...
    Mike Lane wrote:
    Perhaps you could add a border on your own via photoshop and then simply let ezprints print that image?
    Like Marlin said, I tried, and it doesn't work because trimming is inconsistent. Also, some people like borders and some don't. So, it would be nice to give the person buying the print the option and not have to make two different image files.

-Ben
  • Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    right then.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • BishBish Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited September 18, 2007
    Printing with borders... alternate printer?
    I am also disappointed that smugmug doesn't offer prints with borders... neither does Mpix. Anyone know where I can find a quality, affordable, online print shop that DOES offer prints with borders?

I love SmugMug but I also love borders! I wish they'd give us the option!

Cheers,
    Bish

http://www.erikbishoff.com
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    Two other threads on the same topic
    BenA2 wrote:

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Ben

I'm trying to solve the exact same problem. I'm nowhere close to an answer yet either other than making my own prints. See these other two threads I started: one at dpreview and one here at dgrin.

This sure seems like an opportunity for a printer to differntiate and offer something new that solves a problem that there clearly are people looking for.

Incidentally, Costco offers prints with borders, but they still crop the bleed area out of your image before printing it (why, I have no idea) so it defeats the whole purpose for me.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    Just thought I'd point out the age of this thread in case you missed it. I participated in another thread on the topic here.

The short of that was that Andy, via the Smugmug print guarantee, assured me that borders would be preserved by EZ Prints if they were in the file. I never took him up on the offer because every time I've need borders since then, I've been rushed for time and needed to go to Costco.

Having said that, with the print guarantee, you should be able to print borders with confidence on Smugmug, as long as they're included in the file. However, that does not address the issue of providing an option for borders or no borders at purchase time. I'd still like to see that feature as well.